DerrickHenrysCleats

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

On 12/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, SuperJoint said:

I'd just let Cooper's future performance over the next couple years speak for itself. If he maintains the promise he's shown since the trade some posters here will feel quite foolish. 

It was supposed to take me a couple years to look foolish. It only took you 3 days.

Still gonna comp him to Julio since they both went to Alabama or something?

On 12/19/2018 at 12:00 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

4th round is a complete joke.  Cooper is the focal point of the Cowboys passing game.  Dude is going second round in drafts in any competent league.

Amari still 6th best WR or...? What's the personal ranking system saying now?

It was a total blowup spot at home vs Bucs - they even had the Bucs playing back at them - against arguably the worst pass d in the NFL he puts up a dud.

Average Amari has been as disappointing as they come since he went pro and has never lived up to his potential

You can throw all the negative stuff from this guy's past out the window and he's still on a run-first team with a dominant touch-hogging bellcow, a quarterback who is a middling talent, and a team philosophy and personnel that is run first.

That makes him a 3-4th round pick at best.

Simple stuff.

Well, it should be.

12 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I thought for sure he would be able to get loose against Tampa Bay but I guess their defense is all of a sudden conveniently formidable

No it's not. It has had (brief) moments recently, all at home. They are still terrible on the road. Home/road splits for their defense over the last month or so are drastic

12 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

But as someone smarter than me once said, all of the greats go through peaks and valleys.

This is like if your wife caught you cheating on her, and you told her "all marriages go through peaks and valleys."

Edited by Cotton Jones

Yep, I was wrong about week 16.  Dallas v. Tampa was weird, game-flow wise.  Dallas scored pretty early, then Tampa was going on epic 10 play drives.  The Bucs were seriously sitting in the ball like a hen on an egg.

Then Dallas got a fumble-six and the process repeated.  Cooper did fine with his opportunities, but the Cowboys CS never asked him to do much.  The high flying Bucs offense never made an appearance.  That happens sometimes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yep, I was wrong about week 16.  Dallas v. Tampa was weird, game-flow wise.  Dallas scored pretty early, then Tampa was going on epic 10 play drives.  The Bucs were seriously sitting in the ball like a hen on an egg.

Then Dallas got a fumble-six and the process repeated.  Cooper did fine with his opportunities, but the Cowboys CS never asked him to do much.  The high flying Bucs offense never made an appearance.  That happens sometimes.

What sucks is that this run to the playoffs might keep Garret and the OC's jobs safe for another season.   Which means probably another year of predictable offense.  

Just now, K197040 said:

What sucks is that this run to the playoffs might keep Garret and the OC's jobs safe for another season.   Which means probably another year of predictable offense.  

Is there a luckier coach in the NFL?

maybe Marvin Lewis..

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yep, I was wrong about week 16. 

So...not wrong about saying Average Amari is the 6th best WR in the NFL?

Not wrong about "if he doesn't go in the 2nd round of your draft, your league is incompetent" ?

Still sticking with those?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Seems to happen a bit too often with Amari. I don't doubt he is in a better situation in Dallas because Carr sucks and stopped throwing it his way. But Dak also sucks and the Dallas offense is predictably run-heavy. He will still have his blow up games. But he remains a high-end WR2 for me. In the Cooks territory now.

The dud v TB doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for 2019+. The handful of games post-trade he may have set a record points scored as a traded player. i.e. He didn't "Golden Tate".

He'll have a full pre-season OTA's/Exhibition in the system with his current QB (barring catastrophic playoff injury heh heh) going into 2019. He is a WR2 in 12-team leagues imo. Where he goes in that range I have no idea until the "experts" set the actual prices with which we'll have to deal,

On 12/23/2018 at 9:02 PM, Corleone said:

With this being the final week of the fantasy football season (for almost everyone, besides those crazies who play Week 17), here's an update from an earlier post about Amari Cooper. When it is all said and done, Amari had 50 yards or less in 7 of 14 games played this season (3 of 8 games after his trade to Dallas). He did have some big highs with Dallas as well, as evidenced by a pair of multi-TD blowup games. Here are all of his 2018 games...

1-9-0

10-116-0

2-17-0

8-128-1

1-10-0

0-0-0

5-58-1

6-75-0

3-36-0

8-180-2

8-76-0

10-217-3

4-32-0

4-20-0

When it is all said and done, Cooper has now played in 61 NFL games (including one playoff game).

He's been held under 50 yards in 31 of 61 games...so 50.8% of his career games.

Keep in mind for your 2019 drafts. He is certainly in a better situation with Dallas (and his half-season stats with Dallas are good as a whole, thanks in part to the two big games). It'll be interesting to see how things develop from here. 

Final update for the 2018 season...

Amari had 50 yards or less in 8 of 15 games played this season (4 of 9 games after his trade to Dallas). 

1-9-0

10-116-0

2-17-0

8-128-1

1-10-0

0-0-0

5-58-1

6-75-0

3-36-0

8-180-2

8-76-0

10-217-3

4-32-0

4-20-0

5-31-0

When it is all said and done, Cooper has now played in 62 NFL games (including one playoff game).

He's been held under 50 yards in 32 of 62 games...so 51.6% of his career games.

Same old story, but on a different team. At least he probably won't be getting any 0 target or 0 reception weeks in Dallas. Let someone else draft him in the 2nd round or even the 3rd round if they are set on it.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Same old story, but on a different team. At least he probably won't be getting any 0 target or 0 reception weeks in Dallas. Let someone else draft him in the 2nd round or even the 3rd round if they are set on it.

No one is doing that 

His usage makes no sense - he needs a Rodgers type gun slinger throwing it to him.

Dak just never tries to hit him deep.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:00 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

4th round is a complete joke.  Cooper is the focal point of the Cowboys passing game.  Dude is going second round in drafts in any competent league.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:32 AM, Tax77 said:

If Jerrah signs him, which we know he will he will. Copper will go around right after the turn. The dude is explosive. 

PPR:

WR12 / 29 overall (mid-3rd)

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/ppr-cheatsheets.php

WR15 / 32 or 34 overall (late 3rd)

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/25759239/fantasy-football-2019-updated-ppr-rankings-matthew-berry

Again, those are PPR.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:37 AM, Cotton Jones said:

look, i get that you guys are excited because he had a great game and he's on your team, but cooper going early 2nd round is ridiculous.

He's probably a back end WR1 at best for 2018

You forget that Zeke is and will continue to be the driving force of this offense and the passing volume won't be there as long as that's the case, and also Dak is not a great passer.

Recency bias guys, look it up.

Edited by Cotton Jones