Rotoworld.com Forums

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2018 at 8:49 AM, BrianM said:

Mayfield is probably most likely of all the top four QB's to be sitting out the year.    

I'm not so sure about that. I think that this situation will be fluid at best. There are a lot of factors in play here.

56 minutes ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

I believe the presence of Landry and Njoku should open Flash for big plays on a weekly basis. Average of 60-80 yards and 0.5 TD per game is not unreasonable. 

I'm a huge believer in Gordon but if I was given an over under for Gordon TDs at 8 I would definitely take the under. He has never been a high upside TD scorer and IIRC he only has 1 or 2 TDs within 20 yards in his career. I could easily see him getting 1400 yards if healthy but he never scores a lot of TDs and with all the firepower that's been added I don't know if that will change this year.

19 hours ago, Ddam2013 said:

I'm a huge believer in Gordon but if I was given an over under for Gordon TDs at 8 I would definitely take the under. He has never been a high upside TD scorer and IIRC he only has 1 or 2 TDs within 20 yards in his career. I could easily see him getting 1400 yards if healthy but he never scores a lot of TDs and with all the firepower that's been added I don't know if that will change this year.

He had 9 tds in 14 games during his breakout year.  That may have been an aberration; the offense was designed entirely around Gordon, albeit with subpar qb play.  

Ironically, I don't think we've seen enough of Gordon to really know what his TD upside is like, but IMO it's up there.

5 minutes ago, Felicia's Bye said:

He had 9 tds in 14 games during his breakout year.  That may have been an aberration; the offense was designed entirely around Gordon, albeit with subpar qb play.  

Ironically, I don't think we've seen enough of Gordon to really know what his TD upside is like, but IMO it's up there.

Gordon has the ability to break away for a td every time the ball is in his hands

Agreed, but long tds are historically much less repeatable/predictive.  I'm a big fan, and if I can get him in the 4th I'll gladly take him.

His talent is obviously off the charts, but who knows if Haley's offense will feature him the same way he was in 2013, especially with the other weapons available now.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:52 PM, TexasBlueMoon said:

What do you guys think Baker does for Josh Gordon's fantasy value this year? Is Flash a genuine WR1, especially in non-PPR leagues?

depends on how quickly Hue is shown the door.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:55 AM, Felicia's Bye said:

Agreed, but long tds are historically much less repeatable/predictive.  I'm a big fan, and if I can get him in the 4th I'll gladly take him.

His talent is obviously off the charts, but who knows if Haley's offense will feature him the same way he was in 2013, especially with the other weapons available now.

I admit I am very uncertain what to expect from the Browns offense. Lots of talent on paper but no indication on distribution

I think Gordon will be hit-or-miss week to week. Red zone scores will be big for him, as I imagine red zone looks will be split between him, Njoku, and the running game. Taylor throws a pretty deep ball, but he also locks on to outlets (Johnson, Landry). Mayfield, if he plays, has a less good deep ball, but it's nothing worse than Gordon has dealt with in the past. My guess is that 2019 is a good year for Gordon.

I see the Browns running 11 personnel with RB/Njoku/Gordon/Landry. Coleman probably eventually loses his job to Callaway, who is superior player (on the Lockett-Sanders-Diggs-Brown spectrum).

Gordon is clearly the best option deep, but I'm skeptical that Taylor (or rookie Mayfield) looks deep too often, given the fact that the other options can get open for shorter throws.

My guess is 800-900 yards, with TDs ranging from 5-10 and determining whether Gordon is a viable weekly play.

1 hour ago, irvnasty said:

I think Gordon will be hit-or-miss week to week. Red zone scores will be big for him, as I imagine red zone looks will be split between him, Njoku, and the running game. Taylor throws a pretty deep ball, but he also locks on to outlets (Johnson, Landry). Mayfield, if he plays, has a less good deep ball, but it's nothing worse than Gordon has dealt with in the past. My guess is that 2019 is a good year for Gordon.

I see the Browns running 11 personnel with RB/Njoku/Gordon/Landry. Coleman probably eventually loses his job to Callaway, who is superior player (on the Lockett-Sanders-Diggs-Brown spectrum).

Gordon is clearly the best option deep, but I'm skeptical that Taylor (or rookie Mayfield) looks deep too often, given the fact that the other options can get open for shorter throws.

My guess is 800-900 yards, with TDs ranging from 5-10 and determining whether Gordon is a viable weekly play.

I think there’s a disconnect between between Gordon’s talent and opportunity.  

I expect the Browns will attempt a run-first offensive with Hue + Tyrod.  That means (I agree) reliability will be an issue.  Currently FantasyPro’s has Gordon #22 overall in PPR.  Gordon at a WR1 price is to high, I have him as a WR2 with upside and that’s round 4.

I have Gordon in the Juju range, and after A. Robinson.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, FantasyGuru24 said:

3rd round

Yep.  Its a risk but guy is possible the most talented WR in football and has top WR potential.  Same can't be said about any of the WR's you would pick over him in that round.

11 hours ago, irvnasty said:

i just think he should put up over 1000 for sure 

his stats last year over a whole season he would have ended up over 1000 with kizer 

its early for me but isnt taylor looking deep often a good thing for gordon ?

if the accuracy is there this year gordon should have a big year 

Hue has announced that Halay has complete autonomy running the offense.  That is huge.  Haley sucked as a HC (KC), but has shined as an OC (AZ and Pitt).  Gordon, Landry, Hyde, Chubb, Johnson, Taylor and the rest of the Browns offensive cast need to be evaluated with Haley, not Jackson, in mind.

35 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Hue has announced that Halay has complete autonomy running the offense.  That is huge.  Haley sucked as a HC (KC), but has shined as an OC (AZ and Pitt).  Gordon, Landry, Hyde, Chubb, Johnson, Taylor and the rest of the Browns offensive cast need to be evaluated with Haley, not Jackson, in mind.

This has been mentioned multiple times by beat reporters once Haley was hired. I'm not sure why people keep mentioning that Hue is running the offense or calling plays.

it should have been apparent when Dorsey signed Tyrod in FA, that should have been the end of the Hue's offenses comments.

Hue wanted AJM and Haley wanted Tyrod.

Haley got Tyrod

I'm on the fence as to which will be the most consistent and productive wr to own in this offense with the rb's they have.  Landry getting passes underneath or Gordon destroying coverage downfield

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

I'm on the fence as to which will be the most consistent and productive wr to own in this offense with the rb's they have.  Landry getting passes underneath or Gordon destroying coverage downfield

Wondering the same thing.

We need some input (drawing from his AZ days, as well as his Pittsburgh days) on how Haley runs an offense.  There is no Bell, AB or Big Ben in Cleveland, so Haley is likely to do things a little differently in Cleveland than he did his last several years in Pittsburgh.  Whereas I feel like I know how a guy like Shanahan is going to run an offense, I don't have any insight on Haley.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, dashoe said:

Landry getting passes underneath

and having to battle TE DNjoku, all other TEs, RBs Hyde/Johnson/Chubb and all the other WRs for targets.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, dashoe said:

Gordon destroying coverage downfield

I'm betting on this ^ option

3rd round?!?! Really? His quarterbacks' career highs are 3,000 yards and 20 TD's. The Browns brought in a target monster in Landry to play the slot. They have spent solid draft capital on pass catching TE's and have one of the better third down backs in the league. Unless we're projecting some kind of unholy career year for Taylor, I cannot see Gordon's absolute upside as any higher than a mid WR2. 

3 minutes ago, GhostOfCap said:

3rd round?!?! Really? His quarterbacks' career highs are 3,000 yards and 20 TD's. The Browns brought in a target monster in Landry to play the slot. They have spent solid draft capital on pass catching TE's and have one of the better third down backs in the league. Unless we're projecting some kind of unholy career year for Taylor, I cannot see Gordon's absolute upside as any higher than a mid WR2. 

1. Tyrod  has never played with this type of pass catching talent in his career so yes he could have career highs this season.

2, You have to stretch the field for the underneath game to work a la Gordon. . .a guy who can dominate his defensive coverage at will

3. Josh Gordon doesnt need a ton of  targets he simply needs 3 catches  for 90yds and a TD every week to be a top 5 fantasy wr

On 5/7/2018 at 12:11 PM, dashoe said:

1. Tyrod  has never played with this type of pass catching talent in his career so yes he could have career highs this season.

2, You have to stretch the field for the underneath game to work a la Gordon. . .a guy who can dominate his defensive coverage at will

3. Josh Gordon doesnt need a ton of  targets he simply needs 3 catches  for 90yds and a TD every week to be a top 5 fantasy wr

Exactly.  Lets not forget Sammy Watkins had 1000 yds and 9tds in 13 games just three years ago catching passes from Taylor.  Think we can all agree Gordon is more talented then him.

On 5/7/2018 at 2:11 PM, dashoe said:

And vice versa, you have to have underneath game for the field stretcher to work. Cleveland should have that this year in Njoku, Landry and the improved run game. Combine that with Tyrod's ability to keep the ball and take off and you have defenses who can't afford to double team Gordon.

• 3 weeks later...

Let’s hope this thread doesn’t get locked this year. 

Josh gordon. The flash. The fantasy football savior. A man against boys. A diamond in the rough. Currently has a 4th round adp but I’m going rb rb josh gordon in every draft so someone will have to get him before my third round pick

18 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Let’s hope this thread doesn’t get locked this year. 

Josh gordon. The flash. The fantasy football savior. A man against boys. A diamond in the rough. Currently has a 4th round adp but I’m going rb rb josh gordon in every draft so someone will have to get him before my third round pick

He’s a rare talent. If his head’s on right he’s a beast and will put up numbers. Only concern is Cleveland being too Cleveland to force him the ball but Cleveland was Cleveland when he went nuts all those years ago so let’s hope that isn’t the case! I love watching him play. Have him in a dynasty and keeper league already, been scooping him up in best balls and will target him in redraft as well. Huge upside along with the obvious risk.

Archived