Rotoworld.com Forums

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

On 5/8/2018 at 3:31 PM, youngrice said:

Exactly.  Lets not forget Sammy Watkins had 1000 yds and 9tds in 13 games just three years ago catching passes from Taylor.  Think we can all agree Gordon is more talented then him.

Poor Sammy. Thought he was gonna be a good one.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bmore86 said:

He’s a rare talent. If his head’s on right he’s a beast and will put up numbers. Only concern is Cleveland being too Cleveland to force him the ball but Cleveland was Cleveland when he went nuts all those years ago so let’s hope that isn’t the case! I love watching him play. Have him in a dynasty and keeper league already, been scooping him up in best balls and will target him in redraft as well. Huge upside along with the obvious risk.

One thing Tyrod doesnt do is force the ball and commit alot of turnovers, if Flash is open and he is the 1st read Tyrod has the ability to hit him in the hands for a big play.

My only concern is Haley goes into a dink and dunk offense when you look at all of the pass catchers on this offense and limits the targets Josh gets, if it's a consistent 7 I will be satisfied because he can take it to the house on a couple of big plays.

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

One thing Tyrod doesnt do is force the ball and commit alot of turnovers, if Flash is open and he is the 1st read Tyrod has the ability to hit him in the hands for a big play.

My only concern is Haley goes into a dink and dunk offense when you look at all of the pass catchers on this offense and limits the targets Josh gets, if it's a consistent 7 I will be satisfied because he can take it to the house on a couple of big plays.

Fair point I guess more so I meant the coaches need to force him the ball by making him the first look and moving him around to get him in a position to get the ball. He should be getting 10 targets a game.

1 minute ago, Bmore86 said:

Fair point I guess more so I meant the coaches need to force him the ball by making him the first look and moving him around to get him in a position to get the ball. He should be getting 10 targets a game.

I think Landry gets the targets but Josh gets the week winning big plays

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I think Landry gets the targets but Josh gets the week winning big plays

Down for that. Still would be a shame to waste more targets than necessary on Landry. Do we think Tyrod starts the whole year?

4 minutes ago, Bmore86 said:

Down for that. Still would be a shame to waste more targets than necessary on Landry. Do we think Tyrod starts the whole year?

I don't see how Tyrod doesnt start. Mayfield  in my view would only get the start if he flat out beats Tyrod in camp or the Browns go on an extended losing streak due to poor offensive production.  I don't think Dorsey has the intention of throwing Mayfield out there in year 1, he wants to make sure his #1 pick is ready to run the offense and it takes time for a rookie QB to learn how to run an NFL offense.  He drafted Mahommes in KC with the intent of sitting him for the year and learn behind Smith.

Tyrod has the experience of playing against the best AFC defenses for years so a rookie QB is not going to come and and take over.

Speaking of that guy who throwing Gordon the ball, Tyrod Taylor finds it hard to believe Gordon has missed so much time.

"No, you could not look at him and guess that," Taylor said.

The ability Gordon brings when he's playing and engaged isn't easy to find. He has displayed it in flashes during the two open practices of OTAs this month. The Browns have targeted him in a variety of ways, including,on Wednesday, which featured a fade into the back of the endzone -- rookie Denzel Ward broke it up -- and two quick throws in space.

"He is one of the bigger receivers in this league, but he is also one of the fastest receivers in this league," Taylor said last week. "His explosiveness is definitely something that you do not come across at his size."

That combination is fuel for an offense, especially one that has failed again and again to consistently score. It was on display the last time Gordon played for an extended period, back in 2013, when he racked up 1,646 receiving yards and 88 rushing yards on five carries.

It's difficult, though, to take all those tools and dump them out of the toolbox two thirds of the way -- or deeper -- through a season, especially when Gordon hasn't been available to practice. So as good as Gordon has been, the lack of rapport with his quarterbacks and the lack of time to integrate him into the offense has limited how he can be used.

This year, though, is different. Gordon is here from the start, the first time that has been the case during Hue Jackson's tenure, and he's learning a new offense just like the rest of his teammates.

"We intend to keep learning each other and building a chemistry each and every day and continue to keep growing as teammates and going out there and doing whatever it takes to make plays on the field," Taylor said.

"Tyrod and that crew are understanding how Josh gets in and comes out of breaks and the things that he does well and the things that he has to keep working at," Jackson said.

Josh is the best weapon on this offense.

Yes people this is happening this season :D

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

Josh is the best weapon on this offense.

Yes people this is happening this season :D

Good quote. Glad tyrod is excited about play with him lol

does anyone doubt he’s the best weapon there though? He showed last season that even after all this missed time and zero chemistry he still had it. Imagine what he will do back in an nfl training regime and actually knowing who the qb is. Only risk I understand is off the field related, but imo there’s a .1% chance he fails a drug test. 

During a period of practice when his group wasn’t running plays, Gordon did 20 fingertip pushups without straining.

“He’s a freak of nature,” Landry said after practice. “He can run. The way he can get in and out of cuts surprised me for a big guy. I haven’t seen a lot of big guys run routes the way he moves.

“Obviously, his catching ability and the things he’s done in the past makes me that much more excited for the things we can do collectively.”

i love that his new 'addiction' is being in his best shape physically possible. 

I just can't see reaching for Gordon before round 5 or so. I'd have to have 2+ WR's on my roster to feel good about it. He has huge potential in standard but in PPR I'm passing virtually every time. With Landry there, I feel like his targets will certainly be leveled off and I would much rather take safer options like DT, Fitz, and Marvin Jones depending on the league

15 minutes ago, TPowell said:

I just can't see reaching for Gordon before round 5 or so. I'd have to have 2+ WR's on my roster to feel good about it. He has huge potential in standard but in PPR I'm passing virtually every time. With Landry there, I feel like his targets will certainly be leveled off and I would much rather take safer options like DT, Fitz, and Marvin Jones depending on the league

I wouldnt call  taking gordon before the 5th round as 'REACHING'.  I doubt Gordon is available in the 5th rd because a crafty player is going to take him before that for his upside potential.

I'm looking at his potential for big chunky plays+TD's on fewer targets.  Not everyone is going to get 15 targets a game like AB/Hopkins. Even OBJ should see target regression if Barkley becomes the focal point of the offense.   DT and Fitz are question marks for me because of their QB's and marvin I don't think repeats what he did last season with what i felt was a poorly coached lions team that had to throw deep balls to stay in games and had zero running ability. 

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I wouldnt call  taking gordon before the 5th round as 'REACHING'.  I doubt Gordon is available in the 5th rd because a crafty player is going to take him before that for his upside potential.

I'm looking at his potential for big chunky plays+TD's on fewer targets.  Not everyone is going to get 15 targets a game like AB/Hopkins. Even OBJ should see target regression if Barkley becomes the focal point of the offense.   DT and Fitz are question marks for me because of their QB's and marvin I don't think repeats what he did last season with what i felt was a poorly coached lions team that had to throw deep balls to stay in games and had zero running ability. 

I don't see Detroit's run game being any better this season as I'm not bullish on Kerryon at all. I think Marvin is a great play in best ball leagues. DT gets the QB that fed 2 elite WR's in Minny last season so I'm bullish on DT for sure. I don't worry about the QB situation in Arizona because it hasn't been good in a while and Fitz still catches passes. I get the urge to draft Gordon before his ADP in best ball formats but I'm not impressed in redraft leagues. 

51 minutes ago, TPowell said:

5th? He'll be gone in the 3rd and possibly 2nd closer to the season

9 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

5th? He'll be gone in the 3rd and possibly 2nd closer to the season

2nd round for a guy that averaged 11.5 PPG in PPR leagues in 5 games last season and is a huge risk to miss games at any moment? Even Amari Cooper's awful 2017 averages out righ there with Gordon's 5 games in 2017. You can say the QB play is the issue but Tyrod Taylor this year with Landry coming over to steal targets is NOT a good thing. They also signed Hyde and drafted Chubb in the offseason. They will try like hell to run the ball effectively. His ADP is 44 in Draft right now which makes him a late 3rd-early 4th round pick. I think that is a little high as I would only look at him in the 5th or later. 

1 hour ago, TPowell said:

2nd round for a guy that averaged 11.5 PPG in PPR leagues in 5 games last season and is a huge risk to miss games at any moment? Even Amari Cooper's awful 2017 averages out righ there with Gordon's 5 games in 2017. You can say the QB play is the issue but Tyrod Taylor this year with Landry coming over to steal targets is NOT a good thing. They also signed Hyde and drafted Chubb in the offseason. They will try like hell to run the ball effectively. His ADP is 44 in Draft right now which makes him a late 3rd-early 4th round pick. I think that is a little high as I would only look at him in the 5th or later. 

If you think he’s a huge risk to miss games you shouldn’t be drafting him at all. Dude was away from football for what 3/4 years and came back and did that. What the film and you’ll see he got screwed out of more points too like another td but someone horse collared him or grabbed his face mask or some s---. Anyways, if you think he’s still doping idk why you would draft him at all

6 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

If you think he’s a huge risk to miss games you shouldn’t be drafting him at all. Dude was away from football for what 3/4 years and came back and did that. What the film and you’ll see he got screwed out of more points too like another td but someone horse collared him or grabbed his face mask or some s---. Anyways, if you think he’s still doping idk why you would draft him at all

yeah thats a good point, if you are worried about him missing games then you shouldnt waste a 5th rd pick, you should look to draft in the 9th rd at the earliest.

8 hours ago, TPowell said:

You do realize that you are framing it the wrong way?  it' should be a guy  that had an 11.5ppg avg with zero offseason, zero preseason and missed 12 games of the regular season.  So that's the equivalent  of a guy off the street wearing sneakers and sweats being put in the lineup  being told where to lineup, which spot to run to and catch the ball and getting double digit fantasy points every game.:lol:

20 hours ago, TPowell said:

The man didn’t play football for over a year and didn’t even get to be with the team over that time. He got thrown in just like that. Then you also have to factor in he had a reincarnation of 35 year Vick throwing him the ball.

12 hours ago, TPowell said:

Fair enough. I'm looking for safer options in Rounds 1-4. I'll try to hit it big with picks later on. 

This is the discounted pick that probably will be a 1st next year 

Highlights from this game alone (his first back) makes me look forward to seeing a full season of Flash on the field with either Taylor or Mayfield under center...

10 minutes ago, Onyx said:

Highlights from this game alone (his first back) makes me look forward to seeing a full season of Flash on the field with either Taylor or Mayfield under center...

He’s a beast. Kizer missed him wide open so much. In fact, my phone just autocorrected Kizer to loser. How fitting.

I also remember the Packers game where I’ve never seen a defender get away with so much blatant interferences. He couldn’t do anything to Gordon so he was clinging on for dear life on multiple plays and they didn’t call it. 

Either way, full off season and a competent QB I’d take him in the third. He’s going to be a first round pick next year. Landry won’t hurt him he’s a completely different player. He can go 10-70-0 for all I care while Gordon gets 4-140-1.

Archived