DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Sounds like he is checking himself into rehab.

4 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

This may be a great time to buy low on Flash Gordon if you can stomach the risk...

• Like 1

Someone needs to help me comprehend how Baldwin has a higher ceiling than gordon when gordons best season is ions above Baldwin’s? I think the word ceiling is being misused here 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Panthers8912 said:

Someone needs to help me comprehend how Baldwin has a higher ceiling than gordon when gordons best season is ions above Baldwin’s? I think the word ceiling is being misused here 

QB throwing to him. Browns. More mouths to feed than during his big season. A lot of reasons. I don't think Gordon's ceiling is that high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panthers8912 said:

Jerry Rice and Megatron's best ceilings are also higher than Baldwin's. Doesn't mean they have a higher ceiling NOW. 

Same for Gordon, since I'm leery of WRs who haven't even passed 350 receiving yards in any of the past 4 seasons. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I want this to be true.  But sorry not buying it.  He spends all offseason working hard then right when training camp starts he has to take a leave.  If you believe that.  I have some oceanfront property in Iowa for you to purchase

• Haha 1

Alright, so is he just being extra careful, with a huge milestone right in front of him, or is he having a bit of a struggle and needs to shake free from it before the season starts?   

Or neither of these things, and I/we should just shut up and let it play out?

1 minute ago, BrianM said:

Alright, so is he just being extra careful, with a huge milestone right in front of him, or is he having a bit of a struggle and needs to shake free from it before the season starts?   

Wonder what an owner would sell him for in dynasty right now? 

9 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Wonder what an owner would sell him for in dynasty right now? 

I was wondering the same thing, but I doubt anyone who owns this dude is going to panic. If you own Gordon, you own him because you're high on him and willing to live with the risk. One report like this isn't going to make them sell the guy for 50 cents on the dollar. 

34 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Exactly. Baldwin is a stud. 

Sad to see Gordon owners' hearts broken again ? 

You can't be heartbroken until the outcome is realized. State of anxiety would be a better term

16 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I just found it hilarious on dynasty podcasts how Gordon defenders were harping on the "riskiness" of players like Andrew Luck and David Johnson. LOL.

Just now, ajs723 said:

I was wondering the same thing, but I doubt anyone who owns this dude is going to panic. If you own Gordon, you own him because you're high on him and willing to live with the risk. One report like this isn't going to make them sell the guy for 50 cents on the dollar. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I read it as:

Jumping through hoops to satisfy the NFL.

Facts:
- He worked his a** off all season long
- He didn't have any setbacks
- He's drug tested constantly
- He's monitored by the team constantly

All of this screams (imo), just trying to go through the motions to get in good graces again.

Edited by ponza88
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Alot of people keep forgetting addiction can be psychological and not merely chemical dependencey. So you can have mental and emotional relapses; maybe he or his therapists recognized a red flag from a mental or emotional perspective and he needs time to focus and deal with it. Sadly addiction treatment does not adhere to a professional NFL schedule or personal convenience, it doesnt just turn on and stay in cruise control. it's literally a 24/7 process. 

Based on the statement you can speculate that Josh and his support system are devoting 100% of effort now rather than  pretend they can schedule it around the daily grind of training camp.

We have some smart people on this board that think past just 'FOOTBALL'.

Thank you.

Edited by ponza88

Josh just isn't trying to be caught on Hard Knocks. I can see them trying to push him as the focus of the show and that's attention he probably doesn't desire. 

• Like 1

If you own a piece of Gordon already, just sit and wait it out. If everything blows over, and he plays, you'll be kicking yourself for moving on, and you probably wont get much in return for trading him now any way...

• Like 2

If this was all a part of the plan, it should have been announced for the first time in March, not today. 

6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

If this was all a part of the plan, it should have been announced for the first time in March, not today. 

Josh, I like you... but can you cool it on negative theories right now?

We, as a Gordon family, need some privacy at this difficult time.

Edited by ponza88
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

His adp has been climbing too much, this is just what we need to ward more people off. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

His adp has been climbing too much, this is just what we need to ward more people off. 

i can see my auction draft now. "Dashoe why would you bid $2  and waste a roster spot for josh Gordon? What a waste of draft capital!"  :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

i can see my auction draft now. "Dashoe why would you bid $2  and waste a roster spot for josh Gordon? What a waste of draft capital!"  :lol:

What is his auction value currently? Anyone have any insight?

ive seen mid 4th to now late 3rd in 12 team best balls. I'm hoping this pushes him back to the 4th

13 minutes ago, Onyx said:

Just read that he is already listed as out week 1 vs. Steelers. Ugh.

maybe someone is being pre-emptive in their understanding of the NFI reserve policy. I don't know what teh exact policy is and the process in terms of reinstatement and time counted tows playing a game.

48 minutes ago, devaster said:

That doesn't mean you take Baldwin higher than you should. That isn't value. All this proves is that Gordon is overrated in fantasy circles as well. And a lot of that has to do with one lone season and the myth of Gordon and the memes.

This.  They're both being overdrafted, I won't own either of them on a team that matters.  Some people can't separate a draft room from a ranking list, yet alone an internet debate.  The 3, despite being related, are vastly different.  There are only 2 players in the 3rd round that interest me, neither of them are these 2.  Josh Gordon's ADP will continue to rise, and he'll be at the 2/3 wrap when prime draft time hits.  Hard knocks + preseason + hype could easily vault him into the 2nd round within a month.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Baldwin remains with a higher ceiling...than Gordon. 

You've written a lot of ignorant things on this forum over the past few years, but this might take the cake.

Doug Baldwin in his best years ever, even in 18 games, still couldn't match what Josh Gordon did in just 14 games.

If Doug Baldwin ever breaks 314 fantasy points, or 1,646 yards receiving, you be sure to let me know, then we can discuss ceilings.

Until then, Baldwins ceiling remains a meager 1,128 yards.  Josh Gordon's 1600 yards is a level of success that only 15 other WRs have ever managed since 1920. Josh Gordon's 1,646 ranks 13th best in NFL history.  In fact, Josh Gordon's 117.57 yards per game, put him on pace for 1,881 yards, which would have been second all time, to only MegaTron's record holding 1,964. In fairness his 117 yards per game is 6th all time, Tron ranks 4th interestingly enough.

On the other hand, Baldwin's career best 1,128 yards receiving is an achievement that has been accomplished 429 times by WRs.

Doug Baldwin:

2015: 18 games (1-17+WC+DP) 122 targets, 91 catches, 1,193 yards, 15 TDs, 300.3 fantasy points. (16.6PPG)

2016: 18 games (1-17+WC+DP) 146 targets, 110 catches, 1,312 yards, 9 TDs, 296.1 fantasy points. (16.4PPG)

Josh Gordon:

2013: 14 games - 159 targets, 87 catches, 1,646 yards, 9TDs, 314.4 fantasy points. (22.5PPG)

Baldwin: 5'10, 192, ran 4.5 at his combine, Turns 30 next month.

Gordon: 6'3, 225, ran 4.3 last year, Turned 27 in April.

Gordon is taller, bigger, faster, stronger, and younger.

Gordon's floor is out of the league before today is over.  No one has a lower floor than him.

But to claim Baldwin has a higher ceiling is one of the most asinine things I've read on the forum this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1