Fantasy Baseball Geek

Ian Happ 2018 Outlook

27 minutes ago, dchamps said:

It's okay, rest him up for Coors! Hopefully he breaks out there.

If he goes 1 for 12 out there with 6 Ks then okay, I drop. 

Between the rain outs and the benchings I'd say he's pretty well rested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, taobball said:

Drop city 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Drop city 

I think it depends on your league. I believe in the talent and I think he'll contribute at some point this year. Of course not everybody has the luxury of holding someone on faith that he might be good later. I already dropped in my 8 team league (he cleared waivers). I'm holding in my 10 team league with 28 man rosters.

Sitting for the first game @Coors

Probably sits all weekend because he simply can’t hit and Almora is getting the job done.

As long as Maddon is winning games with this lineup don’t expect to see Happ anytime soon.

Go ahead and hold him though, simply because you can’t bear the thought of dropping your mid round pick that you were so tickled to draft.

• Thanks 1

I think at this point you have to see him as a prospect stash if you hold. I think basically if you think it's worth holding an Acuna/Calhoun etc type hold Happ if not drop. Seems like it may be a while before he gets consistent pt. 

Is Happ a clear-cut drop in redraft leagues at this point? It's still early in the season.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:18 PM, k.k. said:

Is Happ a clear-cut drop in redraft leagues at this point? It's still early in the season.

in the same dilemma and finidng it hard to find a reason to hold other than that i drafted him kid of early (11th round) 

56 minutes ago, midlip said:

in the same dilemma and finidng it hard to find a reason to hold other than that i drafted him kid of early (11th round) 

Look at it this way -- you can check the transactions in your league everyday and see other people scoop up the best FA's -- OR -- you can continue to watch Happ suck on your bench and miss out on FA's because of that clogged roster spot.  Because honestly unless you're in a 14+ team league there are tons of bats available who are actually producing stats.

The choice is yours.

My choice was easy, I dropped him to activate Wil Myers.

9 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Look at it this way -- you can check the transactions in your league everyday and see other people scoop up the best FA's -- OR -- you can continue to watch Happ suck on your bench and miss out on FA's because of that clogged roster spot.  Because honestly unless you're in a 14+ team league there are tons of bats available who are actually producing stats.

The choice is yours.

My choice was easy, I dropped him to activate Wil Myers.

I cut bait today to make room for Delino, I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t clear waivers 

part-time player that isn’t producing... not much to hold onto here 

Just now, Phreedom32 said:

I cut and I’m still alive. Wasn’t sure how it would go, but the weight is gone. My mind is clear and my hopes in flight.

User name checks out

• Like 1

Also cut last week and he cleared waivers... not sure what basis you can use currently for a part-time player that isn't producing 

3 minutes ago, midlip said:

Also cut last week and he cleared waivers... not sure what basis you can use currently for a part-time player that isn't producing 

You could use the basis of being in a deep league.  Unfortunately fantasy is not as binary as some would make it seem.  Sure in an 8 team league you would drop him, but then again what's the point of playing in an 8 team league in the first place?

I'm in multiple leagues where any pitcher who has started a game and any hitter that has a HR or SB is rostered.

Deep leagues do exist, and they are quite fun.  In a deep league, Ian Happ is quite valuable, even with his current stats.

4 minutes ago, kenag122002 said:

You could use the basis of being in a deep league.  Unfortunately fantasy is not as binary as some would make it seem.  Sure in an 8 team league you would drop him, but then again what's the point of playing in an 8 team league in the first place?

I'm in multiple leagues where any pitcher who has started a game and any hitter that has a HR or SB is rostered.

Deep leagues do exist, and they are quite fun.  In a deep league, Ian Happ is quite valuable, even with his current stats.

I cut in a 12-team league with 25 man rosters... so medium depth, and don't feel regret at all

1 minute ago, midlip said:

I cut in a 12-team league with 25 man rosters... so medium depth, and don't feel regret at all

Makes sense, 25 man rosters are pretty short.  Here are a few examples of deep leagues -- In a 15 team mixed with 40 man rosters, 15 team mixed with 30 man rosters, or even a 12 team Only with 30 man rosters, he isn't close to droppable for me.

Ok but your example is probably way further from the “norm” than mine when used to gauge droppability 

obviously 32 team, 150 roster size leagues he’s a hold but I digress....

42 minutes ago, midlip said:

Go back a few pages you will see some guys telling you are crazy cutting Mr. Ian Happ

yea dude has upside but if theres a gem your wanting to take a shot on no fault in dropping

Edited by dzemens
Removed team specific content.

I'm holding. I know he's striking out at a ghastly rate, but I trust that he can make adjustments to his approach and work through it. 

All things considered, .222 with 2 homers and 2 SB through ~20 games is not THAT bad. 

On 4/19/2018 at 12:42 PM, taobball said:

LOL...he better have a good attitude!  Crappy stats including a high KO rate PLUS a bad/uncoachable attitude equals a quick trip to the land where you carry your own bags.  He'd swing a bowling pin up there right now if they told him to.

1 hour ago, midlip said:

....yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midlip said:

How about it's April 24?

• Like 1

My gut was saying to start him but couldn't. Trust in chili Davis. Hopefully a sign of good things.