Fantasy Baseball Geek

Ian Happ 2018 Outlook

[ Derail removed. This is the Ian Happ outlook thread, not the Argue About Strategy in Your League Context thread.] 

I wish he'd start hitting so I can stop feeling bad about passing on every hot hitter and keeping him around... first guy to come up or off the DL this guy's getting the launch button

On 6/3/2018 at 9:47 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

Giving him this week with a lot of rhp coming. 

Pure garbage is really the only way to describe Happ

On 6/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, hard1 said:

Man gonna suck to dump him but it's almost time

It's hard to think of a more worthless bum ever getting drafted inside the top 150

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

It's hard to think of a more worthless bum ever getting drafted inside the top 150

Byron Buxton says hi ?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Currently holding him in an 10 team Auction Keeper league & having a very hard time justifying his roster spot with multiple players about to come off the DL. 

Unable to watch most Cubs games and relegated to watching game casts - How does he look? Is there any sign of life at the plate? 

On 6/19/2018 at 10:51 PM, FootballFan101 said:

He's on pace for basically the same stats as last year. His OBP is better and he's walking more. If he can bring his K% down, he's going to be better.

But yeah, 10 teamer he's a drop right now but I'm monitoring him.

On 7/1/2018 at 10:01 PM, colepenhagen said:

getting hot? hopefully some power will follow. worth a flier if you got an extra spot/move

Hot?  Over the past 30 days, Happ is ranked an atrocious 435th.  Happ has an isolated big game once in a while (May 7th, May 19th, July 1st), but there's no consistency and then he follows that up with 10 bad games. 

Given the Cubs logjam of position players, Happ really isn't worth owning unless he can find a way to dramatically cut down on his strikeouts.  Happ does walk a lot but for non-OBP leagues, that is close to useless (maybe walks lead to a slight uptick in runs although not much of an uptick since Maddon always bats Happ low in the order when he does play).

I made a mistake picking Happ up when someone dropped in mid May and he did almost nothing for me other than May 19th and my team has been playing much better since I dumped him in June.

the combo of Happ & Schwarber have not lived up to (my) expectations.

others here might disagree and tell me it is a season long worth of stats

I say hogwash ...

• Like 1

A lot of negativity for a guy with an .814 OPS on the year. I’m hoping for more in the counting stats, but he hasn’t been as bad as it may seem reading through this thread. 

K% down to 23 in July and has a 117 wRC+ On the year. 

46 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

A lot of negativity for a guy with an .814 OPS on the year. I’m hoping for more in the counting stats, but he hasn’t been as bad as it may seem reading through this thread. 

Ian has been horrible from a fantasy point. If you drafted him at his ADP of 142 I can't see you having that attitude ...

he is over 300 on the player rater

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Ian has been horrible from a fantasy point. If you drafted him at his ADP of 142 I can't see you having that attitude ...

he is over 300 on the player rater

If you paid full price, I can see the frustration. I bought low early last month in a keeper where he was cheap, so my expectations started much lower. 

3 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

???

From a fantasy standpoint...he's been awful.  He doesn't play every day and you can't really "hope for more in the counting stats" when he is hitting in the bottom third of the lineup most days...some of them in front of the pitcher in the 8th spot.  As for the 23% K rate....good to see this turd is getting polished up a little bit, lol.  .814 OPS is decent....but most people don't play in OPS leagues.  He's hitting .252, which I guess is acceptable if he is contributing elsewhere...but he's not.  As shakestreet mentions...he's been nothing but a fantasy headache.  Definite bust considering the ADP.  This is a fantasy baseball forum...if you don't get why there is negativity for this guy here, I'm not sure what to tell you.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CAT said:

???

From a fantasy standpoint...he's been awful.  He doesn't play every day and you can't really "hope for more in the counting stats" when he is hitting in the bottom third of the lineup most days...some of them in front of the pitcher in the 8th spot.  As for the 23% K rate....good to see this turd is getting polished up a little bit, lol.  .814 OPS is decent....but most people don't play in OPS leagues.  He's hitting .252, which I guess is acceptable if he is contributing elsewhere...but he's not.  As shakestreet mentions...he's been nothing but a fantasy headache.  Definite bust considering the ADP.  This is a fantasy baseball forum...if you don't get why there is negativity for this guy here, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Then drop him, I’m not trying to sell you on him. We’ll see at the end of the year what his line looks like. Ultimately your mistake for drafting him that high. It is a fantasy baseball forum, which is about projecting the future, not complaining about the past. 

I play in an OPS league as well, so when I saw him sitting on waivers, I decided to take a flier and see what he can do in the second half. 

With him, it looks kinda like a good news/bad news situation. The good news is that he's been much better over his last month and a half than he was to begin the year. Namely, since June 1, he has a .282 AVG to go along with a .413 OBP (which has been bolstered by a 18.3 walk rate), good for a WRC+ of 125. Also, his strikeout rate has been a "better" 31%, down from an unsightly 39.6% he posted through the end of May. So he's certainly been improving as the season has wore on. 

The bad news, to CAT's point, is that the counting stats haven't been there at any point in the season. Even during his increased success, he's only hit 3 HR's (slugging .408 since June 1), scored 17 runs, and driven in 8. That's largely to do with him hitting so low in the lineup, a situation that won't be easily remedied. 

My hope is that he'll be able to find a more consistent power stroke moving forward, which will convince Maddon to move him up a few spots in the lineup. That would solve many of his fantasy problems, but won't be an easy fix given his strikeout issues. I believe he can do it, and am taking my chances with him, but it's easy to see why so many have been discouraged with his output thus far. 

On 7/14/2018 at 1:11 PM, CAT said:

???

Very well said.  Happ has a .380 OBP on the best offense in the NL, but he's still been totally useless and definitely not worth owning from a fantasy perspective (at least in leagues that don't use OBP).

Even as someone who didn't draft Happ but picked him as a FA in mid-May, he absolutely killed me for the month that I owned him and my team has been playing much better since dropping him.  Anyone that paid the full (very inflated from his big spring training) price for him in drafts....I feel for you.

Edited by FootballFan101

7 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

Jeez, you guys are tough, complaining about a guy with a 0.00 ERA and 1.00 WHIP.

Haha, you are right, from a fantasy perspective, he's been more valuable as a pitcher than as a batter which pretty much tells you all you need to know about how terrible he's been. It's amazing how someone with a .380 on-base percentage on the best offense in the NL can be so totally and utterly useless from a fantasy perspective

In July K% down to 25.8, .75 BB/K, 300/435/540, 162 wRC+. 

Could be a mistake not getting him now, especially in deeper leagues but I’d imagine he’s already gone there. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

In July K% down to 25.8, .75 BB/K, 300/435/540, 162 wRC+. 

Could be a mistake not getting him now, especially in deeper leagues but I’d imagine he’s already gone there. 

I scooped him up in a couple re-drafts a few days ago as I needed some help at 3B. I really, really like what he has been doing lately. Last month the plate discipline has been rock solid 18% BB rate and 22% o-swing. Couple that with lots of hard contact 43.5% and I think there is absolutely some hope for a big 2nd half.