Fantasy Baseball Geek

Ian Happ 2018 Outlook

On 7/25/2018 at 1:06 PM, DidiFan said:

I scooped him up in a couple re-drafts a few days ago as I needed some help at 3B. I really, really like what he has been doing lately. Last month the plate discipline has been rock solid 18% BB rate and 22% o-swing. Couple that with lots of hard contact 43.5% and I think there is absolutely some hope for a big 2nd half. 

Happ has been started 8 games in a row the past week but has done absolutely nothing with the opportunity.  He'll have an isolated big game once every few weeks but then has like 10 bad games in a row.  He does walk a lot, but for fantasy, that is worthless in non OBP leagues especially for guys like Happ that don't have any speed.  I think you'll regret picking him up.  I know I really regret picking Happ up in mid May and wasting a roster spot on such an completely useless player for 4 weeks

Edited by FootballFan101

On 7/25/2018 at 1:06 PM, DidiFan said:

I scooped him up in a couple re-drafts a few days ago as I needed some help at 3B. I really, really like what he has been doing lately. Last month the plate discipline has been rock solid 18% BB rate and 22% o-swing. Couple that with lots of hard contact 43.5% and I think there is absolutely some hope for a big 2nd half. 

Regretting your Happ pickup yet?  Happ does walk a lot but for a guy with no speed who always bats towards the bottom of the order, walking a lot is actually bad for your fantasy value (assuming non OBP league).

16 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Regretting your Happ pickup yet?  Happ does walk a lot but for a guy with no speed who always bats towards the bottom of the order, walking a lot is actually bad for your fantasy value (assuming non OBP league).

Wait....what??  

There are a lot of things to complain about as far as Happ this year...walks are not one of them, lol.  

Edited by CAT

59 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I may have regretted it if I were the owner who drafted him at his adp. I picked him up at no cost. The results with Happ have been nil lately so you cut bait and move on. 

Edited by DidiFan

53 minutes ago, CAT said:

Wait....what??  

There are a lot of things to complain about as far as Happ this year...walks are not one of them, lol.  

I'm saying fantasy-wise walks are not helpful in non-OBP when a player doesn't have any speed to turn them into SB and is batting towards the bottom of the order (hardly ever scoring a run when he walks).

On 7/31/2018 at 10:34 PM, DidiFan said:

I may have regretted it if I were the owner who drafted him at his adp. I picked him up at no cost. The results with Happ have been nil lately so you cut bait and move on. 

FYI, I also picked him up as a free agent after he was dropped in mid May.  Even though I didn't draft him at his ADP, Happ still did a lot of my damage to my team in the 4 weeks that I owned him.  

You said you picked him up on July 25th.  Since that time, Happ is 2 for 24 with 1 R, 2 RBI, 0 HR, and 0 SB.

This is what Happ has been doing all year.  He'll one big game one random day a month and then do nothing for like 3 weeks after this.  The bottom line is standard roto leagues have 5 categories and Happ is about average, maybe a tiny bit above average in 1 of them (HRs) and is below average in 4 of the 5 (AVG, R, RBI, SB)

On 3/14/2018 at 9:55 AM, peelpub94 said:

Almora often gets in the line up because of his excellent defense at CF. Last year, the Cubs OF was completely overloaded. Happ is nowhere near the defender in CF that Almora is. 

Without turning this into an Almora post, he did happen to have a really nice 2nd half. Batting .343, 5HR, 31RBI.

Happ's deficiencies will most likely end up hurting you in .AVG and .OBP. The 25HR potential isn't enough to roster him for me.

With the season 3/4 quarters complete, I think we can all congratulate you on a great prediction and admit that you were 100% correct.  At a time where Happ was a having big spring training and everyone was hyping and his ADP was soaring all the way up to the 130s in Yahoo, you deserve a ton of credit for correctly stating that not only was he overvalued but he wasn't even worth owning in fantasy at all.

Personally, I knew that Happ was very very overvalued at his ADP and didn't draft him in any league, but I made a huge mistake picking up Happ in mid May after he was dropped and keeping him on my roster for 4 weeks.  I lost a ton of ground in the standings during that 4 week period I owned him and if I lose my league (I'm currently 1.5 points out of first place), my moronic decision to pick up Happ in May will be a big reason why. 

Bottom line: Happ is average in one fantasy category (HRs) and a gigantic liability in the other 4.

• Thanks 1

Per 200+ PAs: OBP (46th) Runs(131st) HRs (T-130th).  So he is not a 1 category guy. He has been a zero category guy for regular 5x5, but still has potential 3 category player in OBP leagues with a handful of SBs.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

I still think there’s a good fantasy player somewhere inside him, possibly next year. I wouldn’t shy away from getting him very cheap in auctions next year.