Fantasy Baseball Geek

Ian Happ 2018 Outlook

6 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Sitting again lol.  Maddon has seen enough of the trash.

so drop him already and complain elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

There's really no defending Happ currently. His at bats are garbage. Looks like he's always guessing wrong, and always over swinging. 

Does he have pop and speed? Sure. But he's not going to get starts when his standard line is either 0-4 w/ 3ks or 1-4 w/ 3ks. 

Like it was mentioned above if you're in a league that penalizes ks then he currently isn't worth being in your starting lineup. Best hope is to hold on the bench and wait for a hot streak then ship him off.

If you're in a standard league there is no sense is dropping someone after 6 games unless they play on the Marlins.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

If you're in a standard league there is no sense is dropping someone after 6 games unless they play on the Marlins.

Where did i say anything about dropping in my post.?

1 minute ago, High&Inside said:

Where did i say anything about dropping in my post.?

Didn't say you did, sort of just following yours up. That's all.

So many "he's going to have a huge year" comments in drafts I was in after some owner selected him and acted like it was brilliance. There I was smirking to myself, knowing he's Ian Happ and I watched him last year and he's not that good. Spring training homers for any player aren't an indicator 

4 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Are you for real?

If he is on pace for 300k then Harper is on pace for 200hr. 

Um, yeah, he is for real.  What he stated was a FACT.

Math....how does it work??

Obviously neither Happ nor Harper will reach those totals because we all know how these things actually work.  But again...Happ IS currently on pace for 300 Ks.  That is a fact.

Edited by CAT

19 minutes ago, CAT said:

Um, yeah, he is for real.  What he stated was a FACT.

Math....how does it work??

Obviously neither Happ nor Harper will reach those totals because we all know how these things actually work.  But again...Happ IS currently on pace for 300 Ks.  That is a fact.

Yeah, it's a fact that it won't happen. On pace is largely useless, especially at this point in the season. 

But OK.

• Like 1

happ currently is a TERRIBLE hitter. ive owned him in a dynasty league. its funny, if you look at his profile coming out of college, he was in the benetendi mold.. ie, good hitter. somewhere along the way, he bought into this 'new wave hitting' approach where all you wanna do is hit homeruns and now he's crapola. seems like the whole cubs team { with maybe exception of bryant } is buying into this which is why theyre a terrible offense. 

• Like 1

The Cubs are currently 14th in runs scored.

30 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The Cubs are currently 14th in runs scored.

Yep, lots of people "slumping" right now (in general). But it's not even mid-April yet.

Guys hitting under .250: Trout, Turner, Stanton, Goldschmidt, Lindor, Rizzo,Sanchez, Ramirez, Springer, Donaldson, Seager, Bregman, Encarnacion, Benintendi

Also:

35 minutes ago, mjuevos said:

happ currently is a TERRIBLE hitter. ive owned him in a dynasty league. its funny, if you look at his profile coming out of college, he was in the benetendi mold.. ie, good hitter. somewhere along the way, he bought into this 'new wave hitting' approach where all you wanna do is hit homeruns and now he's crapola. seems like the whole cubs team { with maybe exception of bryant } is buying into this which is why theyre a terrible offense. 

BeNinentdo: 4/26 with 6R, 1RBI, 1SB, .154AVG and .525OPS - preseason Y! rank 48, OF eligibility only

Happ: 5/28, 3R, 1HR, 3RBI, 2SB, .179AVG, .519OPS - preseason Y! rank 133, OF/2B eligibility

Totally different guys who have different issues right now (Benny is BB% is like 25% and Happ's K% is like 50%), but if you think they are the same... well... no, not right now. So I'm on board with what you're saying here. I also think Maddon is going to ruin Happ.

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Yeah, it's a fact that it won't happen. On pace is largely useless, especially at this point in the season. 

But OK.

in Some leagues Happ should be dropped

that is a fact 

Edited by shakestreet

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

in Some leagues Happ should be dropped

that is a fact 

so take you know it all approach it stuff it

Great contribution to the discussion. Thanks pal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great contribution to the discussion. Thanks pal.

It is a fact  8/10 team leagues with small benches every owner should drop the Happ

Edited by shakestreet

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

It is a fact  8/10 team leagues with small benches every owner should drop the Happ

Well, no it isn't. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, as I'm entitled to mine.

Should they Benentendi as well?

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030

Just now, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

You just wrote Benny & Happ are Totally Two Different Guys ... LoL 

Just now, shakestreet said:

You just wrote Benny & Happ are Totally Two Different Guys ... LoL 

They are. But my point - my original point in this thread - is that it's been less than 10 games, and giving up on a 2B eligible player right now who hit 24HR in a part-time role is silly. I don't care if you disagree or not, and I'm not saying it applies to all leagues. I just find it silly.

Please, stop with the "lol" and claiming things are facts when they're opinions. I'm trying to have a discussion about a player, and you're responding in a petty way.

So, let's discuss.

Benetendi and Happ are two different players, regardless of prospect status. However, both players are largely "unproven" (one season of success a piece) and are struggling out the gate. It's been less than 10 games, and I'm firmly of the opinion that all players need a bit of time to adjust to the season, especially when they're young. If you're saying I should give up on a 24HR hitter before 10 games have passed, then I'm hope that applies to all first and second year players who are struggling. That's all.

• Like 2

They are. But my point - my original point in this thread - is that it's been less than 10 games, and giving up on a 2B eligible player right now who hit 24HR in a part-time role is silly. I don't care if you disagree or not, and I'm not saying it applies to all leagues. I just find it silly.

Please, stop with the "lol" and claiming things are facts when they're opinions. I'm trying to have a discussion about a player, and you're responding in a petty way.

So, let's discuss.

Benetendi and Happ are two different players, regardless of prospect status. However, both players are largely "unproven" (one season of success a piece) and are struggling out the gate. It's been less than 10 games, and I'm firmly of the opinion that all players need a bit of time to adjust to the season, especially when they're young. If you're saying I should give up on a 24HR hitter before 10 games have passed, then I'm hope that applies to all first and second year players who are struggling. That's all.

I am going to be straight with you .. 

i own Happ in a 12 team league drafted him round 11 pick # 123 as my MI ... and no way am I dropping him less than 10 games played. I need to have patience when it comes to guys like Ian Happ. He is too damn good to drop. 

You are are right in some degree but 

2 hours ago, mevins31 said:

So many "he's going to have a huge year" comments in drafts I was in after some owner selected him and acted like it was brilliance. There I was smirking to myself, knowing he's Ian Happ and I watched him last year and he's not that good. Spring training homers for any player aren't an indicator 

Mev is a voice of reason on this forum..

Edited by jwblue
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Well, no it isn't. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, as I'm entitled to mine.

Benintendi has 9 walks and 14 less strikeouts in two less AB's, not a good comparison 

Edited by loro1991

11 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Benintendi has 9 walks and 14 less strikeouts in two less AB's, not a good comparison 

Read all of what I said, not just a snippet please.

The only leagues where you would drop this guy are leagues where you have no bench or are very shallow leagues.  If you're dropping him now you should go ahead and re-evaluate your draft strategy going forward.  

Why did you even draft him if you think he's droppable after a week and a half?  If you think he's droppable right now you never should have drafted him... 

Edited by kittenmittons
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kittenmittons said:

The only leagues where you would drop this guy are leagues where you have no bench or are very shallow leagues.  If you're dropping him now you should go ahead and re-evaluate your draft strategy going forward.  

Why did you even draft him if you think he's droppable after a week and a half?  If you think he's droppable right now you never should have drafted him... 

Man wait until some of the 2nd and 3rd round "upside" guys are hitting .260 in May and not .300 and people are screaming about how bad so and so sucks. It's the worst of the forum! 

As much as I want to say this is a small sample, if we look back to last season this is more of a trend.

K% by Month:

July                 25%

August            32%

Sept/Oct        35%

April                57%

He's only 23 and I'm not willing to write him off yet but after seeing this I'm not as confident in him being an option this year

Edited by sportsfreak2744