GreatestShowonTurf

Alex Collins 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

None of those are my arguments. And I never said you don't understand how FF works.  Just that you are making a very common mistake. 

You’re insinuating that the issue is my lack of awareness and not the player himself. The issue is the player. You can say I’m overrating samples, or you can have whatever opinion you want. Collins WAS the RB9 for the last 7 games last year, that’s not a bias, and I don’t believe he was TD Dependent either or that that’s is a very fair distinction for a RB who, in this sample, paced over 300 touches. I have Collins substantially higher than many “in his tier.” I don’t agree with you st all on Collins. And that’s fine. But don’t try to make it about something it isn’t. I understand what you’re saying about biases. But to me the issue isn’t about biases.

So him not playing tonight basically means he has nothing left to prove to the coaching staff and is cemented as the starter, right? 

Edited by Ericc5

3 minutes ago, Ericc5 said:

So him not playing tonight basically means he has nothing left to prove to the coaching staff and is cemented as the starter, right? 

Yes

1 hour ago, Ericc5 said:

From everything I could read, yes. Not worth injuring in this preseason game. 

Agree that Collins is being rested to keep him injury-free and ready for Game 1.

That said, Dixon impressed. We may see a timeshare with both Buck and Kenneth looking good.

I may have been wrong in a previous post.  Dixon looked anything but fat and slow.  Definitely had some hop to his game last night!  I still think Collins is The Man, but it might be a little more of a timeshare than I thought.

4 hours ago, bsong71 said:

Agree that Collins is being rested to keep him injury-free and ready for Game 1.

That said, Dixon impressed. We may see a timeshare with both Buck and Kenneth looking good.

here here, totally...

with him sitting for preseason week 2 and no injury concerns that I've heard of that leads me to speculate they want to feature Collins in a bellcow role this year.  Wouldn't mind having him as my RB2 and if I can somehow nab him as my RB3, even better

Edited by TommyKramer

Didn't see the game but those are some nice stats Dixon put up. 

Did the coaching staff have any comment on why Collins didn't play?

1 hour ago, hubbell525 said:

Dixon takes over this backfield this year. Collins=JAG

Most overused word on this forum by far. Collins is the complete opposite of a JAG, he flashes, he has speed and burst, he can bring the punishment. JAG is supposed to be an uninspiring body that’s just out there aka Devontae Booker. JAG is not supposed to be “guy not on my roster”.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hubbell525 said:

Dixon takes over this backfield this year. Collins=JAG

Reasoning? I’m curious why you’d label Collins as a JAG. Watching Collins play it’s clear to me this guy is not easy to bring down and has elusiveness to his game. Shoot, I even have evidence to back this up:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ravenswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/28/alex-collins-is-on-ravens-player-selection-to-pffs-top-101/amp/

Please explain how Collins is a JAG?

10 minutes ago, hubbell525 said:

Collins was a DND for me. Passed numerous times

Still waiting as to why? Just your opinion? That’s cool if so, I’m just curious if you know of something?

Collins had a 4.5 ypc and 1000 tyds last year behind a horrible line with a non-existent passing game and negative game scripts. This offense brings back injured pieces(yanda) and completely revamped there wr core. Positive regression looks to be a lock for this offense. All signs point to Collins having a good year

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 1:06 PM, oliminator123 said:

If I have any of those RB's you listed as my RB2 I hate my team, including Collins. 

So you just open by picking 2 rbs to start the draft then.  That's fine and all but sometimes wrs fall to you and the value is too good to pass.  You basically are saying any 3rd round or later rb as your rb2 and you hate your team.  It's way too cut and dry.

21 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

So you just open by picking 2 rbs to start the draft then.  That's fine and all but sometimes wrs fall to you and the value is too good to pass.  You basically are saying any 3rd round or later rb as your rb2 and you hate your team.  It's way too cut and dry.

It is not at all. I am skipping ODB, Hopkins, Julio, Green for those RB's I listed. 

I know I can land a Diggs, Hilton, Hill in the 3rd and 4th, which have much, much higher upside than a Collins, Henry or whatever other random running back is there. 

35 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

12 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

It is not at all. I am skipping ODB, Hopkins, Julio, Green for those RB's I listed. 

I know I can land a Diggs, Hilton, Hill in the 3rd and 4th, which have much, much higher upside than a Collins, Henry or whatever other random running back is there. 

Those backs I'm referring to are Fournette, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon. 

2 hours ago, cjw99 said:

Collins had a 4.5 ypc and 1000 tyds last year behind a horrible line with a non-existent passing game and negative game scripts. This offense brings back injured pieces(yanda) and completely revamped there wr core. Positive regression looks to be a lock for this offense. All signs point to Collins having a good year

First criteria for a JAG RB is sub 4 ypc, so Collins isn’t a JAG.

There is only one RB that is constantly sub 4 and isn’t a JAG, and that’s Bell (because of passing, usage, and durability)..

Mixon for example ran like a JAG last year, but I want a larger sample size.

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

That's fine but like I said it's too cut and dry, if you have a bunch of people like you in the draft then WRs start to fall and have tremendous value.  To pass on them because Collins and below as rb2 would cause you to hate your team seems too simplistic a view.  You are basically saying you are guaranteed drafting 2rbs in the first two rounds because you don't want a questionable rb2.

Personally I'd say I wouldn't like my team much with hill as my wr1 and god knows who as wr2 and 3.

42 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Those backs I'm referring to are Fournette, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon. 

That’s fine and all but all those guys don’t fall out of the top 15 very often

• Like 1

Way too early to come in here and say I told you so, but as I tried explaining, Dixon is a very legitimate threat to Collins, there's just no way around that. He's the better all around back, plain and simple. And granted it's just one article/opinion, but it echoes those sentiments.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/06/very-deep-sleeper-rb-kenneth-dixon-fantasy-football/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Way too early to come in here and say I told you so, but as I tried explaining, Dixon is a very legitimate threat to Collins, there's just no way around that. He's the better all around back, plain and simple. And granted it's just one article/opinion, but it echoes those sentiments.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/06/very-deep-sleeper-rb-kenneth-dixon-fantasy-football/

“Way too early” isn’t the reason that one random person from the internet does not support your claim. It’s not like writing on fbatasypros makes him an ESPN insider. I write for a similar site for baseball and trust me I’m not a custodial worker right now because I enjoy it. He makes some base points. But it’s msktly the equivalent of a long, well-thought out forum post. It doesn’t move the needle to me that one person put distinctors like “slow” on one and “quick and decisive on the other.”

I dont agree. This article has not changed me from not agreeing. It’s an article written by a person not some kind of Ravens top secret strategy. 

Edited by taobball

4 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Bizarre article.  Other than the fumble issue, there isn't much to the story.  At the same time, Dixon had a fumble issue in college as well.

He talks up Dixon at LA Tech like Collins went to scrub-U.   Collins had better numbers in the SEC the year they both came out.

The authors says this about Collins: "He won’t last 2018 as the main starter. He’s not a good/great feature back in the NFL. He’s a marginal talent (4.59 runner at 217 pounds at the NFL Combine) with all kinds of issues that started getting exposed as his 2017 mini-breakout season wore on."

Know what Dixon ran at the Combine?  4.58 at 215 Lb

The whole thing was incredibly unconvincing.  Dixon is a better pass catcher.........and that is about all that was valid.  Collins has managed to not get hurt and suspended too which should give him some leash.

• Like 4

Just can't seem to get excited about this fella at his 3rd round pedigree, had some decent stats last season, but was beneficial due to his cheap price, now you're paying beyond retail for this guy