Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

Chris Sale 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

13 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Anything new here??

Bullpen session yesterday.  Throwing off a mound instead of that "long toss on flat ground" is encouraging if nothing else.  If i were to guess based on absolutely nothing, id think they'd give him 4 starts each of progressingly higher pitch counts im the majors...like 60,75,90 type of thing (after a minors stint)  Then a full start. I speculate the only reason he pitches this regular season is to prepare for post season.  Cy Young award be damned.

13 minutes ago, David Aames said:

so are we looking at his first start sometime this week?

Article from Mass Live said he was not going to throw today.  From the article:

Red Sox ace Chris Sale (shoulder inflammation) has a return date from the disabled list in mind. He threw for the fifth straight day here Friday at Guaranteed Rate Field. He long tossed approximately 100-120 feet.

"We're just strengthening now and building up to make a start," Sale said.

Sale should be able to make multiple starts in the regular season before the postseason begins, Red Sox manager Alex Cora confirmed.

"Probably he'll be an opener sometimes," Cora joked.

That's not totally a joke though. The minor league season ends in early September. So Sale likely will pitch just a couple innings in his first start like an opener (a role the Rays began using this season).

"The way it's going right now, whenever he gets on the mound he's going to move fairly quick," Cora said. "Obviously we have to build him up. But as you guys know there's not too (many) innings in the minor leagues. And we're going to have to do it at the big league level."

Sale won't throw Saturday. The Red Sox still must discuss his next step. It potentially will be a bullpen session.

Sale said he will pitch off a mound "soon."

Based on the above, I'm not sure you will get a start from him this week but it is possible I guess.  In weekly settings, like mine, too much risk there that he won't start, imo.

• Like 1

His first few starts he probably won't make 5 innings.

So he's getting 2 innings on Tuesday then he's going to be on a 5 day rotation where he gets 1 more inning every start .. 

2 innings 9-11

3 innings 9-16

4 innings 9-21

5 innings 9-26

So he's basically a 3 category pitcher (wont get "W") who is going to provide 14 innings tops over the next 23 days. 

2 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

So he's getting 2 innings on Tuesday then he's going to be on a 5 day rotation where he gets 1 more inning every start .. 

2 innings 9-11

3 innings 9-16

4 innings 9-21

5 innings 9-26

So he's basically a 3 category pitcher (wont get "W") who is going to provide 14 innings tops over the next 23 days. 

What should we do? Hold him and trot him out there knowing he can’t pick up the W but can get you the L? [Removed BC Content]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

What should we do? Hold him and trot him out there knowing he can’t pick up the W but can get you the L? [Removed BC Content]

I mean you might well get 20+ Ks and a 1.25 ERA in that time. Maybe worth it depending on your league. And I do believe he'll get at least one start before the postseason without any restrictions. 

Out of curiosity,why would the red sox not start the 2 and 3 inning outings in the 4th? Same amount of workload but puts him in line for a W for cy young purposes.  I think devenski picked up a few 2 inning wins last year after replacing some guys that had a lead but were limited to 4 innings.

2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Out of curiosity,why would the red sox not start the 2 and 3 inning outings in the 4th? Same amount of workload but puts him in line for a W for cy young purposes.  I think devenski picked up a few 2 inning wins last year after replacing some guys that had a lead but were limited to 4 innings.

Good idea (for us fantasy owners) but i'm sure they want his warmup routine and all the stuff to stay the same. 

On 2018-09-07 at 4:22 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

2 innings 9-11

3 innings 9-16

4 innings 9-21

5 innings 9-26

Is this the strict plan with him going forward? I have him in a H2H points league. He probably isn’t a good option if this is the plan. Has anyone heard anymore on it?

Just one inning. Glad I didn't waste a start on him. But ESPN really needs to get this guy off the undroppable list.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2018 at 5:22 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

2 innings 9-11

3 innings 9-16

4 innings 9-21

5 innings 9-26

Was this actually reported anywhere?

You’d think they want him pitching full games before playoffs start to get him in groove 

1 hour ago, The Waker said:

Was this actually reported anywhere?

You’d think they want him pitching full games before playoffs start to get him in groove 

Yes it was reported by Yahoo

Chris Sale at 2 innings might be more valuable than pitching the slop on the waiver wire.

12 minutes ago, crockies99 said:

Does anybody think there is reason to believe he could go 5 innings in his start this week?

Possibly. They said he wants to be built up to a full 100 pitches by playoffs, which is only 2 more starts. He's probably going to throw 60-70 pitches, so depending how it goes, he should get 4-5 innings.

49 minutes ago, paintingtheblack said:

Possibly. They said he wants to be built up to a full 100 pitches by playoffs, which is only 2 more starts. He's probably going to throw 60-70 pitches, so depending how it goes, he should get 4-5 innings.

Yeah I think the plan is 5 innings.  After his first two starts he went out and threw some more pitches in the bullpen so it seems it is more an innings thing than a pitch count thing.  Doing it that way allows for a pre-planned bullpen scenario too for the remaining innings.

Deadspin: Can The Red Sox Trust Chris Sale?

More importantly: can dynasty fantasy league owners trust Chris Sale?

How did he look as he tried to assert himself before the postseason?

Oof. Those fastballs are nearly 10 mph below his season average of 96.2, and still significantly lower than his previous outing’s average of 93.5 mph. And it only got marginally better. Per ESPN, Sale only threw one pitch that touched 92 mph in that first inning, and couldn’t improve on that speed until the fourth, when he hit game-highs of 93 and 94. On average, this start featured the slowest average four-seamer of Sale’s career.

This is what happens when you rest a guy for 2 months...90 mph fastballs

• Like 1