Rolling Thunder

Cleveland Browns 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, devaster said:

It is simply ignorant to compare Mayfield to Manziel. And that has been refuted numerous times by experts and analysts. Now if you want to knock Mayfield there are knocks. Size, transition to an NFL offense, and the talent around him in Oklahoma was amazing. He will have time to learn behind Tyrod.

Sir, your not listening. Mayfield is light years more talented than Manziel. However they are EXACTLY the same person off the field. That CANNOT be disputed. The comparisons are scary.

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

When it comes to personality comparison the Rivers one is to terrible that I actually laughed.

Rivers doesn’t even cuss and is a Christian who got married straight out of high school. Basically, the definition of moral perfection. Mayfield got drunk in public, had evading charges, and a bunch of other concerns.

lol? One of the most idiotic responses I've seen in a long time.

• Haha 1

If Mayfield fails it will be on the field and not off the field.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

If Mayfield fails it will be on the field and not off the field.

You don't know that. I'm sure Cleveland said the same thing when they drafted Manziel 

Edited by South Carolina

2 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

You don't know that. I'm sure Cleveland said the same thing when they drafted Manziel 

No. Manziel was a huge risk. He had many documented off the field incidents and a history of alcohol and drug abuse. Most people expected Manziel to fail off the field.

7 minutes ago, devaster said:

How so? The guy had absolutely zero concerns with issues off the field or personality wise.

14 minutes ago, devaster said:

The guy compared Mayfield to Rivers.  I thought the response was warranted.

You NEVER had to worry about Rivers getting in trouble off the field.  

19 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

When it comes to personality comparison the Rivers one is to terrible that I actually laughed.

Rivers doesn’t even cuss and is a Christian who got married straight out of high school. Basically, the definition of moral perfection. Mayfield got drunk in public, had evading charges, and a bunch of other concerns.

Maybe he meant in regards to emotion shown on the field..? *shrug*

17 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Sir, your not listening. Mayfield is light years more talented than Manziel. However they are EXACTLY the same person off the field. That CANNOT be disputed. The comparisons are scary.

I'm about to open a really big can of worms but whatever...

I actually think Manziel was the more talented player on the field.  I'm likely going to be the only one and I'll have to sit down and write out why when I'm at a computer and not on my phone but when it came to on the field... yeah,  I'm taking JFF.

Keep in mind,  I didn't consider Mayfield a first rounder in my opinion.  And I know that a lot of people that get paid in other ways to evaluate football do.  

Really short version- I put a LOT of stock in quality of competition.  And manziel lifting up that TAMU team in the SEC blows away Mayfield padding stats in that garbage defense Big 12 conference...where his team was clearly the most talented year in and year out.

I've commented elsewhere the flaws I have with Mayfield's game.  Short version there - put on the second half of Georgia Oklahoma and just focus on HIM and how he reacts to seeing NFL caliber athletes.  Or Ohio State 2016.

Contrast that with how Darnold reacted to insane pressure vs Ohio State this year behind a garbage oline.  Again, just focus on HIM and how he's going through progressions and reacting to the pressure.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

No. Manziel was a huge risk. He had many documented off the field incidents and a history of alcohol and drug abuse. Most people expected Manziel to fail off the field.

You just described Mayfield to a tee.  Perhaps you should google his past alcohol related arrest and other incidents. He's likes to party just like Johnny Football did. The 4 count alcohol related arrest isn't cause for concern regarding his decision making? 

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I'm about to open a really big can of worms but whatever...

I actually think Manziel was the more talented player on the field.  I'm likely going to be the only one and I'll have to sit down and write out why when I'm at a computer and not on my phone but when it came to on the field... yeah,  I'm taking JFF.

Keep in mind,  I didn't consider Mayfield a first rounder in my opinion.  And I know that a lot of people that get paid in other ways to evaluate football do.  

Really short version- I put a LOT of stock in quality of competition.  And manziel lifting up that TAMU team in the SEC blows away Mayfield padding stats in that garbage defense Big 12 conference...where his team was clearly the most talented year in and year out.

I've commented elsewhere the flaws I have with Mayfield's game.  Short version there - put on the second half of Georgia Oklahoma and just focus on HIM and how he reacts to seeing NFL caliber athletes.  Or Ohio State 2016.

Contrast that with how Darnold reacted to insane pressure vs Ohio State this year behind a garbage oline.  Again, just focus on HIM and how he's going through progressions and reacting to the pressure.  

Thats fair. Many people feel the same. Good points.

Apparently the Browns want all the high risk potheads in the NFL.

Disclaimer- I actually think Gordon has straightened out.

But to add OT Harrison, who was kicked out of UT for weed and to draft Antonio "I'm to stoned for sex" Callaway in the 4th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 96mnc said:

But to add OT Harrison, who was kicked out of UT for weed and to draft Antonio "I'm to stoned for sex" Callaway in the 4th.

Perhaps Callaway and Gordon can become best buds and smoke CoCo into a #1 WR

12 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Haha, I like the "high risk". But you would think after everything the franchise has been through they'd want more high character players and stay away from high risk picks. I guess they didn't learn anything.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:47 PM, South Carolina said:

Okay, let me rephrased that. He's very immature, spoiled, has had run ins with the law and has an out of control ego. Much like their last disaster Johnny Manziel. It's legitimate cause for concern. Do you not agree? 

Your funny... U KNOW ZIP ABOUT THIS KID......Sit back and enjoy.. Ill wait for the admit your wrong approach. LOL

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DLB4ever said:

Your funny... U KNOW ZIP ABOUT THIS KID......Sit back and enjoy.. Ill wait for the admit your wrong approach. LOL

Never know, apparently he’s done extensive “research” on these QBs 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DLB4ever said:

So tell me what you KNOW genius. Nobody here knows anything, that's why we are on a forum. But we are free to give our opinions. So tell me everything you KNOW about him big guy.

Edited by South Carolina

1 minute ago, Milton Bradleys said:

Guys, guys... South Carolina here clearly knows Baker Mayfield intimately, so we should take its assessment of Baker's character seriously.  Very seriously.

1 minute ago, Milton Bradleys said:

Guys, guys... South Carolina here clearly knows Baker Mayfield intimately, so we should take its assessment of Baker's character seriously.  Very seriously.

I know nothing of Baker Mayfield except for his past documented history. Is that not factual? 

Lol Johnny manziel had problems with alcohol and drug abuse. Mayfield just got a drunk in public. You realize how insignificant  a drunk in public is and how easy it is to get? It’s like a nothing charge and any of us who have ever gone out drinking could have gotten one. Sure he did evade the police but he probably just got scared and freaked out, no big deal. I think it is likely mayfield learned from this, and really appreciates the position he is in now and will be more cautious not to f--- it up. Unlike manziel, mayfield seems able to control his behavior. Manziel suffered from addiction which was demonstrated by throwing away his nfl career after multiple off the the field issues 

Edited by SonataArctica

11 minutes ago, SonataArctica said:

Lol Johnny manziel had problems with alcohol and drug abuse. Mayfield just got a drunk in public. You realize how insignificant  a drunk in public is and how easy it is to get? It’s like a nothing charge and any of us who have ever gone out drinking could have gotten one. Sure he did evade the police but he probably just got scared and freaked out, no big deal. I think it is likely mayfield learned from this, and really appreciates the position he is in now and will be more cautious not to f--- it up. Unlike manziel, mayfield seems able to control his behavior. Manziel suffered from addiction which was demonstrated by throwing away his nfl career after multiple off the the field issues 

We can sit here and debate this all day like gentlemen. He may very well have a problem, he may not. We don't know. I'm just pointing out the similarities to Manziel. When they drafted Manziel  I'm sure they thought the same thing,  "It's no big deal", "he's a different person", etc. You have to admit the similarities are glaring. You can't deny that, it's 100% factual. All I'm saying that there's too many red flags FOR ME to take him at #1 if I was a GM. Especially if I'm the Browns and have been through it before. I would have taken Darnold & Barkley.

• Like 1

Lol, 950+ posts already. Its like the crowd that gathers around a car crash.

Anyway, i'm quite surprised at the media's reaction to Mayfield going 1.01. They've been strangely positive, accepting even, about the decision. Maybe its because there wasn't a consensus 1.01 this year?

I'm not a Mayfield hater, far from it, I actually think he'll be OK in the NFL (once the expectations die off) but I didn't have him anywhere near Darnold or Rosen as a prospect. Those two have an easier transition to the NFL than Mayfield, who's coming out of a gimmicky run and gun type of offense. We have no clue whether Mayfield can actually stand in the pocket, go through his progressions and throw downfield under pressure.

QBs with his background usually bust. And they sure as hell don't go 1.01. But like i said at the beginning, everybody loves gathering around a car crash. Holy s---, look at that tire burning.

Edited by predator_05

37 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

QBs with his background usually bust.

Walk on with a Heisman trophy?

4 minutes ago, kdko said:

Walk on with a Heisman trophy?

Heisman trophy doesn't mean s---.

See: Matt leinart, troy smith, tim tebow, sam bradford, RG3, johnny fooseball.

3 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Heisman trophy doesn't mean s---.

See: Matt leinart, troy smith, tim tebow, sam bradford, RG3, johnny fooseball.

Yeah, and how many of those guys were walk ons?  Zero.  You said QBs with his background usually bust.  Like who?