Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theSPANKER

Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook

28 minutes ago, psygolf said:

The Dallas practice squad is still higher on his list than Detroit/Cleveland

Haha. He'd go to Canada before Cleveland 

18 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

That's been the standard take for two years now?

He went in the 2nd round last year, so not really. Perhaps yours, but not the masses.

17 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

He's 29, not 39.

His regression came when injured and the ball was passed to Dak and he lost a QB that could throw an effective down field pass. 

Depending on landing spot, I expect a huge bounce back from Dez. 

Hope he doesn't go to the redskins though, that would be real dumb. 

He plays like he's 39. He's slow as hell and can't beat today's corners. He can be a valuable red zone target though, maybe even resurrect his career in the slot.

I didn’t mention my Broncos as a landing spot, and I suspect other fans aren’t suggesting their own teams either...

Here’s Dez’s take:

“I’ll say this right here: I believe that Garrett’s guys [worked against him]. I would say that,” Bryant said. “I believe that. I truly believe that. I won’t put no names out, but they know, and I want them to know on this air I know. I’ll shoot them a text message and let them know. Little do they know is they can wear that ‘C’ [for captain] all they want to, but in that locker room, they know who they run and they talk to. They know who they communicate with. Everybody know where the real love is at, and I’m not throwing anybody under the bus, but that’s the difference between me and them.”

The Cowboys’ captains in 2017 were Jason Witten, Dak Prescott, Dan Bailey, Tyrone Crawford, Sean Lee and Orlando Scandrick. Scandrick also was released this offseason. He signed with Washington.

14 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

He plays like he's 39. He's slow as hell and can't beat today's corners. He can be a valuable red zone target though, maybe even resurrect his career in the slot.

Good thoughts but I don't think Dez has the route-running chops to play in the slot.

9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Good thoughts but I don't think Dez has the route-running chops to play in the slot.

It makes you wonder if Dez has an agent...

What Dez should have said:

I love Dallas, and Texas fans are the greatest in the league.  I’ll always appreciate the Cowboys for drafting me, and letting me live my dream.  I’m thankful for the coaches and my teammates that helped me grow my game, and grow as a person.  I’m especially thankful for the support of Mr. Jerry Jones who always had my back, and treated me like family.

I’ve working hard this off-season to expand my skills, specifically with regards to improving my route-running.  I think there’s been significant improvement and I’m looking forward to demonstrating that to interested teams.  God bless.

36 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Not to mention all  the hits he would take. Isn't the most durable guy.

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

"Not sure if this is a hot take, but is it possible injuries have caught up to him and he just isn't that good anymore?"

I'm not sure either, but looking at some of his better catches from last year, he still moves pretty well. When the talking heads were going on about how he can't separate anymore, guys like him often can't so much anyway. He's the sort that when they get too close he just reaches up under the face-gage &... cracks bone! I don't know that he can climb like he once did but he still has that frame, those huge arms and hands and he knows how to use them. If he goes to an offense where opposing defenses have to concern themselves with a lot of other components, I think he'd do well.         

9 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Not to mention all  the hits he would take. Isn't the most durable guy.

I think speed is Dez’s biggest (physical) problem.  He a pretty strong guy... and probably durable when not diving for the ball.

I can see Dez running 5 yards, pushing off (the defender) and catching the ball at the 1st down marker (or goal line).  Basically an effective chain mover...

But, Dez doesn’t seem to have the brains to learn new tricks.  

Physically I think Dez can be effective... Who has the confidence to teach & mold him?

Dez is not the sharpest tool in the shed, as demonstrated undeniably and repeatedly over the years, with his twitter tantrum against the Cowboy team captains upon being cut just the most recent example.

Any team that has some kind of intricate offense with lots of different reads and route options?  Not a fit for that reason.

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Because most TEs never sniff double digit TDs, let alone lead the league.

I don't know about that.  Last year's TD catch leader was Nuk Hopkins with 13, but second through 18th were a spread between 10 down to 8 TD catches.  Ertz and Gronk both had 8.  Dez has similar red zone chops.  I am going to stand by my statement.

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I don't know about that.  Last year's TD catch leader was Nuk Hopkins with 13, but second through 18th were a spread between 10 down to 8 TD catches.  Ertz and Gronk both had 8.  Dez has similar red zone chops.  I am going to stand by my statement.

Dez isn't in Gronks league as a RZ threat. In 2014 maybe, but certainly not now.  He got 132 targets yet couldn't even reach 840 yards. That's really bad.

IND is his only hope to be a weekly FFL starter. 

I see the Redskins as the most likely team to sign him. The Giants maybe, but they flopped on Marshall last season. I don't think the Eagles will sign him and mess with chemistry.

51 minutes ago, devaster said:

I see Washington as the most likely team to sign him. The Giants maybe, but they flopped on Marshall last season. I don't think the Eagles will sign him and mess with chemistry.

I see Washington as the least likely team to sign Bryant.  They already have a similar player to Dez who is much younger and much cheaper in Josh Doctson.  And they have Crowder and signed Paul Richardson, the former Seahawk.  I don't see a spot for Dez on that team.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Dez isn't in Gronks league as a RZ threat. In 2014 maybe, but certainly not now.  He got 132 targets yet couldn't even reach 840 yards. That's really bad.

IND is his only hope to be a weekly FFL starter. 

Agreed that Dez is a player in steep decline.  But he could prop up his fantasy value immensely with a bunch of 1 yard TD receptions the way Jordy did for his value in 2016.

What's funny >>>> *if he went to NE, 90% of the Dez-haters would do a 180 flip-flop and push him to a 1st rd adp.

29 minutes ago, psygolf said:

What's funny >>>> *if he went to NE, 90% of the Dez-haters would do a 180 flip-flop and push him to a 1st rd adp.

Not me. Brady demands precise route running and selflessness from his WRs -- traits Dez has never shown. 

50 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Agreed that Dez is a player in steep decline.  But he could prop up his fantasy value immensely with a bunch of 1 yard TD receptions the way Jordy did for his value in 2016.

Jordy was the #1 target of Rodgers. Dez isn't going to be the #1 target of any decent QB. Plus 2016 Jordy >> 2018 Dez.

41 minutes ago, psygolf said:

11 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Not me. Brady demands precise route running and selflessness from his WRs -- traits Dez has never shown. 

Have to agree with joshua on this one.  Dez is the antithesis to anything we've seen work for the Pats.  Beasley or Witten could work, but Dez's game doesn't translate.  

Although golf is probably right that 90% of casual fans would think it was a big move. 

55 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Jordy was the #1 target of Rodgers. Dez isn't going to be the #1 target of any decent QB. Plus 2016 Jordy >> 2018 Dez.

Which is why if he wants to have any shot on earth of returning WR1 value he would need to go to a team with no red zone threat. He won't lead anyone in receptions, targets, or yards but double digit TDs is possible if the situation is correct. 

3 hours ago, devaster said:

I see the Redskins as the most likely team to sign him. The Giants maybe, but they flopped on Marshall last season. I don't think the Eagles will sign him and mess with chemistry.

Based on the idea that he's going to the NFC East? I don't think he goes to the NFC East. He may want to. I don't think they do.

Giants "flopped" on Marshall, but they still have him and I'd expect him to play as I'd expect him to get Cut if that weren't the case by now. Then Shepard and Odell. Not a great fit, a team that's probably a bit cautious about that change, and a team that, frankly had some bad chemistry issues last year (Collins, Apple to name one, the Eli/Geno debacle for another). 

Another user went over some of the Redskins reasons, but in general there's another team that has already invested at least draft capital in Doctson, significant FA money in Richardson, and Crowder. Dez makes a bit more sense to the Skins, but I also don't think he really matches their offensive style or Alex Smith's offensive style either. I don't really think the Smith to Dez relationship would work really well. 

And no mention of the Eagles necessary I don't think. Chemistry is a strong argument, but just in general I couldn't see them making this move. 

9 minutes ago, taobball said:

Based on the idea that he's going to the NFC East? I don't think he goes to the NFC East. He may want to. I don't think they do.

Giants "flopped" on Marshall, but they still have him and I'd expect him to play as I'd expect him to get Cut if that weren't the case by now. Then Shepard and Odell. Not a great fit, a team that's probably a bit cautious about that change, and a team that, frankly had some bad chemistry issues last year (Collins, Apple to name one, the Eli/Geno debacle for another). 

Another user went over some of the Redskins reasons, but in general there's another team that has already invested at least draft capital in Doctson, significant FA money in Richardson, and Crowder. Dez makes a bit more sense to the Skins, but I also don't think he really matches their offensive style or Alex Smith's offensive style either. I don't really think the Smith to Dez relationship would work really well. 

And no mention of the Eagles necessary I don't think. Chemistry is a strong argument, but just in general I couldn't see them making this move. 

Giants are probably waiting for Marshall to pass a physical before cutting him. Like PHI did last year with Ryan Mathews.

Based on name alone, someone in most leagues is gonna take him way earlier than they should. Don’t be that guy.

9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Your right. He's too soft & maybe selfish for the slot.