Jump to content
Rotoworld.com Forums

Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook


theSPANKER

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

I don't understand why the Giants want Dez. He's not the same guy he once was and he won't fit in with Eli throwing him the ball. New Yorkers must love drama, that's all there will be with Dez and Odell on the same team. It will be a circus week to week.

So far, Dez wants the Giants from what I'm seeing/reading.  Sounds like he's trying to will his way to NY.  Giants publicly haven't shown interest(unless i've totally missed it) and i do agree and i said it yesterday, i think its wasting money to bring in Dez.  They don't need him, IMO.  He's not going to be a guy that get NYG over the hump to turn the corner to a title, so i would view it as wasting cash and tip toeing with the idea of another volatile locker room, possibly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Olivier Vernon signed a 5/85M contract 

 

his year 1 base : 1.7M 

 

plenty of ways to manipulate the cap ... Marshall would obviously be released for Dez and if Dez is already getting paid indirectly by Dallas ... who knows

 

and no, the Giants aren’t cutting 1 of the best defensive tackles in the league (which Snacks is). And please don’t google his sack totals - he’s absolutely one of the best defensive lineman in football

 

 

Yeah, thanks for the info on Snacks, I had no idea who he was.  Where did he play before the Giants?

 

Great info on the salary cap too!  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

 

Yeah, thanks for the info on Snacks, I had no idea who he was.  Where did he play before the Giants?

 

Great info on the salary cap too!  

 

 

He played for the Jets ... 

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/damon-harrison/7355

 

pretty much the best run stuffing DL in the league 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Root Admin
43 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

 

So I was digging into his contract a bit to see what kind of offsets might be there.

 

There are none. 

 

That means Dez gets to "double dip".  He'll make his 8 million from the Cowboys this year no matter what, plus whatever team signs him to a contract.

 

So if the Giants gave Dez 1 year at 5M, Dez would still make 13M this year.

 

The problem with that is the Giants have very little cap space (4.8M).  They'll need 5M just to sign the #2 pick.  Even if they trade the #2 to Buffalo for 12 and 21 + a future pick, it's not much of a cost savings.  The Pats could do something with #23 and #31 but it's minimal savings as well.

 

It's hard to see how they fit Dez in.  They could cut Marshall and/or Ray-Ray Armstrong.  Signing ODB or Eli to lower their cap hit this year is a possibility (although the odds of ODB taking less money this year are probably less than zero).  Even if they cut Marshall, they need that money for the #2 pick.  

 

They could cut other players like Snacks, but I'm not sure that's a great idea. 

 

What could make sense for the Giants financially is to trade the #2 pick for future 1st rounders and later picks this year.  Or they could trade Eli Manning and take a QB.  :lol:

 

 

 

Huh?  You understand the difference between cap number and real life cash flow, right?  His cap charge is from his signing bonus, money long paid out, not from salary, which is not guaranteed in most NFL contracts after the first year.  He's already made the 8 million.

 

The issue for Dez and the Giants, is he'll be the 3/4th read on most plays behind OBJ, Engram, and Shep most calls.  Yikes.  It'd be hilarious to see the sideline antics when he's not getting the ball after the first few games.  Add in a porous OL and Eli's rather stark decline, it actually wouldn't be a great place for Dez.  Sure, it would feed his ego and his hunger for revenge, but the Giants have much bigger holes to fill then 2nd outside WR.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Root Admin
44 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Olivier Vernon signed a 5/85M contract 

 

his year 1 base : 1.7M 

 

plenty of ways to manipulate the cap ... Marshall would obviously be released for Dez and if Dez is already getting paid indirectly by Dallas ... who knows

 

and no, the Giants aren’t cutting 1 of the best defensive tackles in the league (which Snacks is). And please don’t google his sack totals - he’s absolutely one of the best defensive lineman in football

 

 

Olivier Vernon's cap number was 13 million in his first year with the Giants.  His base was low but you have to prorate the signing bonus and he had a hefty roster bonus (7 million) built in as well....

 

If any team against the cap wants to build in some bonus money into a veteran's pay structure, there are ways to do it with signing bonuses, roster bonuses, workout bonuses and game incentives.  Just depends on what the plan is.  Does the team want the player around for a 2nd year?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

 

Olivier Vernon's cap number was 13 million in his first year with the Giants.  His base was low but you have to prorate the signing bonus and he had a hefty roster bonus (7 million) built in as well....

 

If any team against the cap wants to build in some bonus money into a veteran's pay structure, there are ways to do it with signing bonuses, roster bonuses, workout bonuses and game incentives.  Just depends on what the plan is.  Does the team want the player around for a 2nd year?  

 

i know. and if dez is really getting paid from dallas - money will not be an issue for him joining the Giants. 

 

gettleman actually wanting him is the issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

i know. and if dez is really getting paid from dallas - money will not be an issue for him joining the Giants. 

 

gettleman actually wanting him is the issue. 

He’s not getting paid from Dallas-  the 8M is from a signing bonus he received up front.    Dez is making $0 in paychecks this year as it sits now.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

He’s not getting paid from Dallas-  the 8M is from a signing bonus he received up front.    Dez is making $0 in paychecks this year as it sits now.   

 

Is he getting paid 8M this year, regardless of where he signs? 

 

If so, that’s all I (and Dez) likely care about 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

Is he getting paid 8M this year, regardless of where he signs? 

 

If so, that’s all I (and Dez) likely care about 

 

Who knows

he gets paid what someone will pay him.  

 

If u want a best guess-  it’s 5-8M with incentives 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

 

Huh?  You understand the difference between cap number and real life cash flow, right?  His cap charge is from his signing bonus, money long paid out, not from salary, which is not guaranteed in most NFL contracts after the first year.  He's already made the 8 million.

 

I didn't realize the Dez salary cap hit this season was all from his signing bonus.  My bad.

 

Good players often have a part of their salary guaranteed, even after the first year.  

 

For example, Dez Bryant had at least the first two years of his salary guaranteed, with year 3 being very likely:

 

http://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/13261983/dallas-cowboys-dez-bryant-reach-5-year-70-million-deal

 

"Bryant's deal includes $32 million in fully guaranteed money, including a $20 million signing bonus and guaranteed salaries of $3 million in 2015 and $9 million in 2016, sources told ESPN. That guaranteed money will increase to a total of $45 million if Bryant is still on the team's roster on the fifth day of the league year in 2016, kicking in another guaranteed $13 million for the 2017 season, sources said"

 

Even Sammy Watkins three year contract has two years of guaranteed salary:

 

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Bolt/Chiefs-officially-sign-Sammy-Watkins-contract-details-announced-116205107

 

"(Watkins) will be getting a $21 million signing bonus along with salary guarantees in years one and two of the deal. The breakdown is below:

2018: $790,000 base salary (guaranteed)
2019: $11.95 million base salary ($8.21 million guaranteed)
2020: $13.75 million base salary"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iron-cock said:

 

I didn't realize the Dez salary cap hit this season was all from his signing bonus.  My bad.

 

Good players often have a part of their salary guaranteed, even after the first year.  

 

For example, Dez Bryant had at least the first two years of his salary guaranteed, with year 3 being very likely:

 

http://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/13261983/dallas-cowboys-dez-bryant-reach-5-year-70-million-deal

 

"Bryant's deal includes $32 million in fully guaranteed money, including a $20 million signing bonus and guaranteed salaries of $3 million in 2015 and $9 million in 2016, sources told ESPN. That guaranteed money will increase to a total of $45 million if Bryant is still on the team's roster on the fifth day of the league year in 2016, kicking in another guaranteed $13 million for the 2017 season, sources said"

 

Even Sammy Watkins three year contract has two years of guaranteed salary:

 

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Bolt/Chiefs-officially-sign-Sammy-Watkins-contract-details-announced-116205107

 

"(Watkins) will be getting a $21 million signing bonus along with salary guarantees in years one and two of the deal. The breakdown is below:

2018: $790,000 base salary (guaranteed)
2019: $11.95 million base salary ($8.21 million guaranteed)
2020: $13.75 million base salary"

 

Good points-  i didn’t know it was signing bonus either, until Bateman said it. 

They don’t state that on Spotrac from what I’ve seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

I don't understand why the Giants want Dez. He's not the same guy he once was and he won't fit in with Eli throwing him the ball. New Yorkers must love drama, that's all there will be with Dez and Odell on the same team. It will be a circus week to week.

 

No one said the Giants want him ... he wants to be a Giant 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now Baltimore had signed Willie Snead to an offer sheet (2 years $10 million) that the Saints are extraordinarily unlikely to match.  If Snead becomes a Raven, I think that probably closes the door on one of my favorite potential landing spots for Dez.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dez may be getting his wish next week. 

 

Giants are “closed business” until Monday - setting the final board Tuesday, trades with Cleveland / Buffalo are on the table ...

 

Dez interest is mutual, although Dez is much more eager to make it happen. It’ll come down to $, as always. 

 

Giants want 2 year deal backloaded and incentive laden ... if Dez is willing to take a “prove it” contact (he may not have a choice, especially after the draft) ... this is a distinct possibility 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do I have this feeling he'll go to the Bills?  They need a true veteran WR for whatever QB they decide to develop this season.  Otherwise, their most senior WR is Benjamin.  They spent a 2nd rounder on Zay last year, so I don't think they spend capital early on one in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kdko said:

Why do I have this feeling he'll go to the Bills?  They need a true veteran WR for whatever QB they decide to develop this season.  Otherwise, their most senior WR is Benjamin.  They spent a 2nd rounder on Zay last year, so I don't think they spend capital early on one in the draft.

 

Can you imagine Dez catching long bombs in tight windows from AJM making the crowds go wild?

Can you imagine that? :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 8:36 PM, not an nfl scout said:

patriots sign dez to a 1 year deal.....and trade gronkowski to the 49ers on draft day for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. just throwin that out there because its the first thing that came to my mind when i found out dez was really cut.

 

 

Not bad, I like it. That's definitely a "Patriot" type move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kdko said:

Why do I have this feeling he'll go to the Bills?  They need a true veteran WR for whatever QB they decide to develop this season.  Otherwise, their most senior WR is Benjamin.  They spent a 2nd rounder on Zay last year, so I don't think they spend capital early on one in the draft.

I have a feeling dez is picking the city, not the team 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook
  • dzemens locked this topic
  • dzemens unlocked this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...