theSPANKER

Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But I have not heard any talk of Dallas cutting Dez.. 

Stephen J has opened up discussions at times this offseason that lend to the idea Dez is a distraction and doesn't click with Dak.   Jerry on the other hand love Dez.  I doubt Dez is cut, he's a Jerry guy.

This franchise will be in better hands IMO once Stephen J gets ownership.  I think he's less attached to players then his dad. The buddy buddy system has to go in Dallas

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But I have not heard any talk of Dallas cutting Dez.. 

8 M dead cap in 2018.   It would not make a lot of sense to cut him.   That number, however, gets cut in half in 2019.    

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

8 M dead cap in 2018.   It would not make a lot of sense to cut him.   That number, however, gets cut in half in 2019.    

While they'd get 8m in dead cap they'd also get 8.5m in space.  So the math really becomes can you get a better fit for Dak's skill set than Dez at 8m plus whatever the cost is to acquire the new wr?  Dunno...actually i doubt it.  You're basically looking for a wr that can get wide open outside.

But from a pure cap management standpoint as soon as a player is no longer worth their cap number ideally it is time to move on. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

This franchise will be in better hands IMO once Stephen J gets ownership.  I think he's less attached to players then his dad. The buddy buddy system has to go in Dallas

Just like the Raiders once AL was gone.

This has been a great discussion so far.   If Dallas were to cut the cord, where would Dez be a great fit next year?   Personally im intrigued only if he ends up on a new team.

I'll throw a couple fun ideas out there, though i dont know how likely they'd be:  Seattle and Oakland.     If Seattle is losing both Graham and Richardson, maybe Carroll sells Dez on a manageable deal to come be Russ's new RZ toy.     Oakland- just feels like a Gruden move, assuming they do split from Crabtree.     

19 minutes ago, BrianM said:

This has been a great discussion so far.   If Dallas were to cut the cord, where would Dez be a great fit next year?   Personally im intrigued only if he ends up on a new team.

I'll throw a couple fun ideas out there, though i dont know how likely they'd be:  Seattle and Oakland.     If Seattle is losing both Graham and Richardson, maybe Carroll sells Dez on a manageable deal to come be Russ's new RZ toy.     Oakland- just feels like a Gruden move, assuming they do split from Crabtree.     

Without looking at cap numbers for all the teams out there -

Seattle would make sense for the reasons you mentioned. 

SF would be a perfect fit.  Accurate qb, no red zone threat wr at all.   Problem there is Shanahan asks his wrs to be smart and good route runners, that's not Dez's strength but a good coach makes it work.

4 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Without looking at cap numbers for all the teams out there -

Seattle would make sense for the reasons you mentioned. 

SF would be a perfect fit.  Accurate qb, no red zone threat wr at all.   Problem there is Shanahan asks his wrs to be smart and good route runners, that's not Dez's strength but a good coach makes it work.

Ah yes, SF.    The catch-all for every offensive player.   Amazing how hiring the right young coach,  combined with STEALING your franchise qb changes things.    Still shaking my head over that one.   

Seattle would be great, so would the jets.   Robbie isn’t playing anytime soon.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Ah yes, SF.    The catch-all for every offensive player.

Bell, Dez, ARob, Watkins, and Dion Lewis are all coming.  Gonna be so sick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

really interesting to think over where Dez could fit if Dallas does let him go.......

SF and Seattle make a lot of sense, i just think Seattle would have to get pretty creative to make it happen.  They are strapped for cash.  Dez in SF would be very interesting.  96 is on it, they are void weapons, esp big physical red zone targets like Dez.  I could see that being a nice piece for Jimmy G.

Jets(Lets see what happens with Kirk plus the cash left over) this would be wild to see Dez headed to NY, but i do think the Jets need to find weapons like this to appeal to Kirk. So i could see this being in the mix.

Titans, Bears, Colts  i could see being in the running. All top 15 cap space teams who i think could use a player like Dez

if Say Luck returns, its not crazy to consider adding a guy like Dez to that WR group.  Outside of Hilton, they don't have a ton of talent that has panned out well. Not sure what they do with Moncrief as well.

A wildcard team IMO is also the Redskins.  Its funny how the NFCE recycles players within the division.  Skins are a top 15 cap space team as well and i could no doubt see Little DannyS throwing $$$ at Dez to stick it to Jerry and have them face him twice a season.  Problem with this is their QB situation of course, so that feels open ended, much like the Jets.

I like the Raiders idea.  Just not sure how Gruden views Crabtree right now vs having to pay a guy like Dez.  I think Crabtree is a good compliment to Carr/Cooper.  Im not sure i'd call Dez that much of an improvement, TBH

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlakeP42 said:

ireally interesting to think over where Dez could fit if Dallas does let him go.......

Is there some new rumor out there today that I missed?  Seems there's little chance Dallas lets him go, don't you think?

5 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

A wildcard team IMO is also the Redskins.

It's so stupid that it makes perfect sense for the skins.

I like the Raiders idea.  Just not sure how Gruden views Crabtree right now vs having to pay a guy like Dez.

I hate it.  Crabtree seems like the same kind of player that costs half as much.  I might be missing something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord_Varys said:

Is there some new rumor out there today that I missed?  Seems there's little chance Dallas lets him go, don't you think?

nothing new currently.  I think we just branched off the idea that BrianM tossed out there. Just kicking around the idea if Dallas cuts the cord.  My gut feeling is Jerry won't let Dez out the door by releasing him.  Just doesn't feel like something he would do.   That being said, I think its fair to wonder though, esp when you listen to Stephen Jones discuss Dez and his undertone regarding Dez and his place within the franchise and Dak.  Plus his already open dialogue that Dez should consider a pay cut.

Dak may have his flaws but he's still cheap. That is a luxury Dez does not have currently so i think its possible there is still a small chance Dez is cut.  I think the Cowboys only cut Dez though if they can find an early inside track to another FA WR they are willing to pay similarly, yet think he could be more productive with Dak and this offense.  Seems unlikely i will admit 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

It's so stupid that it makes perfect sense for the skins.

I hate it.  Crabtree seems like the same kind of player that costs half as much.  I might be missing something.

agree, Crabs vs Dez seems like a wash and Crabtree i think fits well in that offense.

As for the Skins, somehow Danny always seems to get right in the thick of things when Cowboys players become available.  Its def an odd idea but one i  could see happening if it ends ugly between dallas and Dez.  I could see Danny and Dez coming to terms with the hope of throwing up the X in Arlington in a Skins Uni lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Bell, Dez, ARob, Watkins, and Dion Lewis are all coming.  Gonna be so sick.

Lol no kidding.  Love the Niners but they are way to overhyped right now.  Still a year or two away hopefully they don't break the bank for any of those guys.

4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Ah yes, SF.    The catch-all for every offensive player.   Amazing how hiring the right young coach,  combined with STEALING your franchise qb changes things.    Still shaking my head over that one.   

Seattle would be great, so would the jets.   Robbie isn’t playing anytime soon.  

Jets are a good call, especially if they land cousins. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Jets are a good call, especially if they land cousins. 

I could definitely see that happen. My bold prediction is that the Jets trade for Nick Foles before the draft.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 3:30 PM, Lord_Varys said:

i'd say stephen would let him go....jerry wont. jerry would let stephen go before he'd let dez go.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, South Carolina said:

I could definitely see that happen. My bold prediction is that the Jets trade for Nick Foles before the draft.

eagle fans seem to think they will get a first rounder for foles too.....why would the jets do that when they could just draft one of the top 3-4 qbs right there at 7?? at best the eagles get a 3rd for him which would be great for the jets, but i dont see the eagles actually even trading foles. why? and dez wont be there either. they both are staying right where they are.

9 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

eagle fans seem to think they will get a first rounder for foles too.....why would the jets do that when they could just draft one of the top 3-4 qbs right there at 7?? at best the eagles get a 3rd for him which would be great for the jets, but i dont see the eagles actually even trading foles. why? and dez wont be there either. they both are staying right where they are.

Thats why I said "BOLD" prediction. And I never mentioned a 1st round pick. What I could see is the Jets signing or trading for a veteran QB, drafting a rookie QB to

groom, etc. Dez may work in NY. The Jets are not a bad team. A few tweaks here & there and they are relevant again.

13 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Thats why I said "BOLD" prediction. And I never mentioned a 1st round pick. What I could see is the Jets signing or trading for a veteran QB, drafting a rookie QB to

groom, etc. Dez may work in NY. The Jets are not a bad team. A few tweaks here & there and they are relevant again.

he might? but he wont. no way jerry cuts dez. no way he trades dez. he might say "restructure " his deal to make both sides happy, but thats about it. as it was stated before....."move on there's nothing to see here."

19 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

he might? but he wont. no way jerry cuts dez. no way he trades dez. he might say "restructure " his deal to make both sides happy, but thats about it. as it was stated before....."move on there's nothing to see here."

Can't see how a restructuring works here.   He can ask him to take a pay cut but I can't see Dez accepting that. 

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Can't see how a restructuring works here.   He can ask him to take a pay cut but I can't see Dez accepting that. 

ya just never know....thay can get real creative and call it restructure

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/2/22/17043152/dallas-cowboys-stephen-jones-is-being-awfully-cryptic-about-dez-bryant-contract-2018

Stephen Jones on Dez Bryant: “No one wants to compete & get after it more than Dez. At the same time, we all know this is a business where everyone has to be accountable...We’re going to be grinding it out trying to understand what is in our best interests of our business.”

Looks like Stephen Jones is somewhat doubling down on his Dez thoughts.   It will be interesting to see what they feel is going to be in the "best interest of our business"

Knowing how emotional Dez can get, i could see continued statements from Stephen like this one rocking the boat here a good bit.

• Like 1