theSPANKER

Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook

The biggest problem with Dez, has always been Dez.  His opinion of himself, has always be greater than NFL front office personnel.  Think about this.  The current Dallas WR core, is probably amongst the worst in the league.  Yet, Dallas told Dez to go kick rocks.  They wouldn't even consider re-doing his deal, for salary cap purposes.  They wanted no part of him.  That should tell you all you need to now.  And then Dez, the supreme genius that he is, decides to put former teammates on blast, while trying to find a job with a new team.  Dude is the plague.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, panthers528 said:

Let me throw my two cents in:

Dez is turning into another Terrell Owens circus.  Frankly, he should get over himself and get himself on the field before he completely destroys any value he might have had as a good receiver.  Thought it would be exciting to see him playing with Gordon and Landry with Mayfield as their future stud QB and a pretty solid O-line and nice running game.  If it's not Cleveland, then who??  I can see Seattle being a possibility with Baldwin sounding questionable with a knee and no WR depth.  I hate to say it, but Dez could find Seattle being a nice landing spot playing with Russell Wilson.  Only time will tell I guess.

Too late. The NFL rosters much worse characters than Dez. He’s a shell of his former self, doesn’t want to admit it, and no team things he’s worth much - other than Baltimore. Good call Dez. 

Hes not good. He’s not worth the headaches anymore. There’s a reason Dallas, who would sign a convicted serial killer if his measurables were top notch, cut him to roll out a rag tag group of WR3s.

1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Too late. The NFL rosters much worse characters than Dez. He’s a shell of his former self, doesn’t want to admit it, and no team things he’s worth much - other than Baltimore. Good call Dez. 

Hes not good. He’s not worth the headaches anymore. There’s a reason Dallas, who would sign a convicted serial killer if his measurables were top notch, cut him to roll out a rag tag group of WR3s.

Gallup is the real deal. Otherwise

completely agree.

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I think it's less of that, and more because he has an unreasonable asking price.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

I think it's less of that, and more because he has an unreasonable asking price.  

No, it’s because he sucks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article%3Fsection%3Dsports%26subsection%3Dnfl%26topic%3Dbrowns%26headline%3Ddez-bryant-leaves-cleveland-browns-visit-without-contract%26contentId%3D95-585158062

“After being released by the Dallas Cowboys earlier this offseason, Bryant reportedly turned down a multiyear contract from the Baltimore Ravens. Instead, it's believed the 29-year-old is searching for a one-year "prove it" deal before hitting the open market again in 2019.”

It appears to me that the Browns used the Dez visit as leverage to get Josh Gordon to report.  If so, it worked.

And, of course, Hugh went on record to say that the Dez flirtation was unrelated to the Josh Gordon thing.  Which is about as clear an indication as we can get that the opposite is true.

Wouldn’t surprise me if last year was his final year in the league 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article%3Fsection%3Dsports%26subsection%3Dnfl%26topic%3Dbrowns%26headline%3Ddez-bryant-leaves-cleveland-browns-visit-without-contract%26contentId%3D95-585158062

“After being released by the Dallas Cowboys earlier this offseason, Bryant reportedly turned down a multiyear contract from the Baltimore Ravens. Instead, it's believed the 29-year-old is searching for a one-year "prove it" deal before hitting the open market again in 2019.”

What you quoted more or less confirms what the person you quoted said. 

Teams still want Dez Bryant. But not at a price that Dez Bryant believes that he is worth. 

I assume he'd take less for a contender or a Cowboys division rival, but none of those seem to be calling that he hasn't already turned down. 

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It appears to me that the Browns used the Dez visit as leverage to get Josh Gordon to report.  If so, it worked.

And, of course, Hugh went on record to say that the Dez flirtation was unrelated to the Josh Gordon thing.  Which is about as clear an indication as we can get that the opposite is true.

The Browns have had 1 win in 2 seasons. Hues job is on the line and he's desperate. 

Before he was sent packing from the Raiders he spent every dime and draft pick he could. 

Despite what people want to think of Dez I 100% believe that the Dez talks are real and calling them smoke screens is just being a little too conspiracy theory guy for me. 

Hugh:  "The Dez talks are real and have no relation whatsoever to Josh Gordon's situation."

And you believe that.  Okay.

9 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Do you have any actual reasoning behind why he sucks?  I posted a video a couple pages back, that's also been posted elsewhere on these forums, where Dez is repeatedly burning top CB's this past season, but Dak just flat out sucks and can't see the field.  This is coming from someone who's never drafted Dez in fantasy, and have not been a fan either.  I think his ego is getting the best of him here, he can still play.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kdko said:

Do you have any actual reasoning behind why he sucks?  I posted a video a couple pages back, that's also been posted elsewhere on these forums, where Dez is repeatedly burning top CB's this past season, but Dak just flat out sucks and can't see the field.  This is coming from someone who's never drafted Dez in fantasy, and have not been a fan either.  I think his ego is getting the best of him here, he can still play.

I think people are letting their feelings about Dez's personality and his public perception cloud their judgement.  A classic case of where everyone wants to see a guy fail.  Based on everything I've read I wouldn't even necessarily call him a locker room cancer - he's just an opinionated and outspoken player, and that seems to endear him to some teammates and rub some the wrong way.  Romo has said that he thought Dez was a great teammate, so I'm guessing those that speak poorly of him are ones that he's butted heads with.  And usually those butting heads in a locker room are strong personalities themselves, and would have their own fair share of critics if everyone spoke freely.

Attitude aside, everyone's talking like Dez is toast and a horrible receiver, yet he still managed to finish as WR24 last year in PPR, with a QB with one of the league's lowest Y/A throwing to him.  I don't think anyone should be expecting a return to WR1 status, but if he signs into a decent situation and gets the PT he would still seem to have the talent to easily float him as a WR3 for fantasy purposes, with upside for more.  If he does sign then his ADP likely goes up significantly on name value, which may or may not exceed his value threshold, but it's a bit far fetched to say he's completely done.  

From an NFL team's perspective I'm also not sure why you wouldn't try to sign Dez to a 1-year prove-it deal, if you're in search of WR help.  I'm not sure anyone has established what his demands are for a 1-year deal, but it's seems like a pretty low risk, high reward proposition.  As a team you'd have a relatively low investment made in him, so if he is really bad you cut him, if he's just OK then you're not tied to him for high dollars for several years, and if he does great then everyone wins by the team getting a high end WR for cheap for a year, and Dez gets his big contract either there or somewhere else.  

Someone else I think mentioned Seattle, and that would seem like a perfect situation for everyone.  Veteran coach, and a highly respected veteran leader QB, with some other strong locker room personalities that should be able to keep Dez in check if there are any attitude issues.  Lining Dez up opposite Baldwin with Russell throwing him bombs you would think is a recipe for success.  The O-line is still pretty rough so Russell will be scrambling and run game might not do so well, so giving Russell all the weapons they can would be a good idea.  And the biggest thing for me is, how is Marshall signed by them and on a TC roster while Dez isn't?  If you think Dez is a shell of his former self, then that would make Marshall a pile of dust blowing away in the wind.  Dez would be motivated to prove it, and would have every opportunity with a great QB, and Carroll is likely somewhat coaching for his life with all of the subtractions from his SB team.  Not to mention the star power of Dez might help bring back some fanfare and positivity to a team that has let some high profile star players walk recently. 

if Dez goal was a 1yr prove it deal there are many teams who would have fit befoire training camp began, Miami,SEA,BuFF,jets,ARi,GB. 

So it has to be more than just a prove it, it has to be   too much money+prove it

• Like 1

3  things stood out to me that indicated Dez had/has the wrong mindset and strategy after being released from Dallas

1. he immediately tweeted he wanted to play for the Giant's

2. he turned down a multi-year deal in FA from a desperate Ravens team after most teams picked up their wr FA's and were focusing on the draft

3. he went on a twitter rant against his former team

Throw in the latest Browns circus and it's apparent Dez and his team don't have a real strategy that gets him in a uniform and on the field for week 1 catching passes from someone and rebuilding his value.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

if Dez goal was a 1yr prove it deal there are many teams who would have fit befoire training camp began, Miami,SEA,BuFF,jets,ARi,GB. 

So it has to be more than just a prove it, it has to be   too much money+prove it

Agree. If his goal was a prove it deal the Patriots would have been 1st in line with other contenders right behind. He F'd up bad. 

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Agree.

The thing with "prove-it" deals is that they're normally well below market value.

I can't imagine there wouldn't be at least a few teams willing to toss Dez 1.5 million for this season and give him that 1 year prove it deal.  But I don't think Dez has any intention of playing for 1.5 million (or whatever).  I think Dez is thinking he should get 5 to 10 million or something.  I mean, the Ravens reportedly offered him 3 years for 21 million and he turned that down because he wanted a prove it deal and the chance to make more money.  He's delusional as he'll never get better than that.

And of course there is the distractions he creates.  How many times was he shown on the sidelines throwing a tantrum?  Teams don't want to deal with that, especially at his asking prices.

I really thought Dez might wind up in NE.  I thought he'd be a great fit there and he'd behave with Bill and Brady much like R Moss did.  If I were him I'd be offering my services to play there for the the veteran minimum with a bunch of incentives or something.  That would be a way to get a prove it deal and have a legit shot at a Super Bowl.  Heck, he has to be at least as good as Eric Decker or Kenny Britt.

Either way....looks like the Cowboys made a great move as Dez clearly wasn't anywhere worth the 14-15 million he was scheduled to be paid.

• Like 2

I took a round 15 flier on Dez but I'm not gonna wait much longer than after preseason week 3 to drop him if he doesn't have a team.

If he signs someplace with a good/decent QB and he's the WR2 I'll keep him and see what happens. I think any of these teams would be a fit for that: Seattle, Miami, Baltimore, Washington, Eagles if Jeffrey goes on PUP, Arizona, Carolina (I'm a Panthers fan and think Funchess is mediocre at best).

If he signs someplace where he's looking like a WR3 or a team with a bad QB situation then I'm out. 

I agree with most people above that he's getting in his own way. If he wanted a prove it deal go to a contender with a good QB for a low value one year deal that's incentive laden.

He is just being a diva, what do you expect, he was really good for a # of years but father time is undefeated . I expect him to sign after preseason is done

Edited by urban2014

8 hours ago, kdko said:

Do you have any actual reasoning behind why he sucks? 

Old, slow, stupid, lazy

29 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

If romo was his qb last year dez would’ve finished top 15... 

And, Dallas would never have released him.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Jarvis Landry is thrilled to have Josh Gordon back, but would still love to add Dez Bryant too.

In Landry's view, the more the merrier in the quest for a Super Bowl run.

"I didn't get  chance to spend any time with him,'' Landry said. "Obviously yeah, we'd love to have him. We'd love to have him be a part of this, but for now all we can focus on are the guys that are here.''

A source told cleveland.com that the Browns really liked Bryant during his visit last week and that he's still on their radar, but they have no plans to sign him soon. Bryant's agent, Kim Miale, joined him in Cleveland, but they were unable to reach an agreement on what likely would've been a one-year deal.

"As a receiver, he makes the room that much better, he makes the team that much better,'' said Landry. "But at the same time, we have guys that make plays and that's all we can worry about, focus on right now.''

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/jarvis_landry_still_wants_dez.html#incart_big-photo