theSPANKER

Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook

Nobody wants Dez as much as the Cowboys do.

A team trading for Dez, taking that contract and putting up with him on the sidelines? No way. That's not even mentioning the fact that his play has fallen off a cliff. 

2 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Nobody wants Dez as much as the Cowboys do.

A team trading for Dez, taking that contract and putting up with him on the sidelines? No way. That's not even mentioning the fact that his play has fallen off a cliff. 

i think the point that is fair to wonder here is, do the Cowboys actually want Dez as much as we/he thinks at his current cost vs his production? Maybe even also taking into consideration his fit with Dak and the offense moving forward......... As you said, not even mentioning the fact that his play has fallen off a cliff. Don't you think the Cowboys see what we see here? bad fit, bad chemistry,  "can be a distraction" as Stephen J said weeks back..........this isn't so much about trading him, as it is releasing him, eating some cash and opening up some cash.  I think Jerry wants Dez back, I'm not so sure Stephen does.  My gut feeling though is Dez has more people in his corner to return then not. JG, Linehan especially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlakeP42 said:

i think the point that is fair to wonder here is, do the Cowboys actually want Dez as much as we/he thinks at his current cost vs his production? Maybe even also taking into consideration his fit with Dak and the offense moving forward......... As you said, not even mentioning the fact that his play has fallen off a cliff. Don't you think the Cowboys see what we see here? bad fit, bad chemistry,  "can be a distraction" as Stephen J said weeks back..........this isn't so much about trading him, as it is releasing him, eating some cash and opening up some cash.  I think Jerry wants Dez back, I'm not so sure Stephen does.  My gut feeling though is Dez has more people in his corner to return then not. JG, Linehan especially.

He's not worth a 16m cap number.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

there is zero doubt in my mind that you are correct, 96.   

A shrewd and cerebral verbal parry to Stephen Jones’s remarks:

“I let a lot of things get in the way that should have never got in the way. I’m ready to make my mark. I don’t care what nobody is talking about, I couldn’t care less. Everybody that ain’t with Dez Bryant, they can kiss my a**.”

20 hours ago, 96mnc said:

nope....he's not. but he will be with dallas one more year. he will be brought into jerrys office with stephen i presume, and it will be discussed about money versus production. this will be a do or die for dez. he better hope that he produces because if he dont......."aint noboby kissin dez's a$$ den, dez be kissin stephen's a$$ goobye". the cap hit is about half next year over this year i do believe? he's under contract, far more than what he's worth, but in jerry's eyes, dez might be worth the gamble for one more year. dez is still physically capable of doing some damage if he is healthy. next year will probably be the cut bait year considering the amount of dead money. jerry put a ton of money into dez....he is now gonna ask for something in return. it'll be up to dez to close his trap, and put up or shut up and get out.....I M O.

15 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

nope....he's not. but he will be with dallas one more year. he will be brought into jerrys office with stephen i presume, and it will be discussed about money versus production. this will be a do or die for dez. he better hope that he produces because if he dont......."aint noboby kissin dez's a$$ den, dez be kissin stephen's a$$ goobye". the cap hit is about half next year over this year i do believe? he's under contract, far more than what he's worth, but in jerry's eyes, dez might be worth the gamble for one more year. dez is still physically capable of doing some damage if he is healthy. next year will probably be the cut bait year considering the amount of dead money. jerry put a ton of money into dez....he is now gonna ask for something in return. it'll be up to dez to close his trap, and put up or shut up and get out.....I M O.

Correct, dead cap hit goes down to 4m after this year. 

8 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Correct, dead cap hit goes down to 4m after this year. 

fixed

Edited by psygolf

Dez production says he’s worth 12 million, the bigger problem is he doesn’t seem to have great chemistry with Dak.

If Dak is the future, Dez isn’t...

Allen Robinson would probably be an upgrade over Dez, and coming off injury he should be more reasonable than 16 million.

Dez (if he doesn’t get 16 million) would probably want to play for a contender.  Saints?

2 hours ago, seanismorris said:

Dez production says he’s worth 12 million, the bigger problem is he doesn’t seem to have great chemistry with Dak.

If Dak is the future, Dez isn’t...

Allen Robinson would probably be an upgrade over Dez, and coming off injury he should be more reasonable than 16 million.

Dez (if he doesn’t get 16 million) would probably want to play for a contender.  Saints?

i dont think he's worth 12 mil either? know he's not worth 16mil. beckham is playing for 8.4 mil off his rookie deal and some figure he could hold out if he dont get a reworked and long term deal this year? robinson will be tagged, so he aint goin anywhere. beckham will be tagged whenever because they wont let him walk. dez should take a pay cut, but as he says he wont. he will be told he better have a pro-bowl season at 16 mil. or he will be gone next year. i see jerry and stephen trying to work with dez to make his money work with the teams cap. if dez were smart he'd rework the contract so dallas could bring in some needed help. but he probably wont, and that will frustrate jerry to the point of either DO or DIE then with dez. dez could actually be sealing his own fate of a long term deal vs a big money 1 year and your gone to cleveland situation? kinda just what i'm seeing this unfold.

23 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

i dont think he's worth 12 mil either? know he's not worth 16mil. beckham is playing for 8.4 mil off his rookie deal and some figure he could hold out if he dont get a reworked and long term deal this year? robinson will be tagged, so he aint goin anywhere. beckham will be tagged whenever because they wont let him walk. dez should take a pay cut, but as he says he wont. he will be told he better have a pro-bowl season at 16 mil. or he will be gone next year. i see jerry and stephen trying to work with dez to make his money work with the teams cap. if dez were smart he'd rework the contract so dallas could bring in some needed help. but he probably wont, and that will frustrate jerry to the point of either DO or DIE then with dez. dez could actually be sealing his own fate of a long term deal vs a big money 1 year and your gone to cleveland situation? kinda just what i'm seeing this unfolFrom another article:  Dez is ranked 3rd in contested catches

While Bryant’s numbers have dropped, it might be a little presumptuous to write this guy off just yet. One thing he still does extremely well is come down with contested passes when his defender is draped all over him.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/2/7/16985576/dez-bryant-is-still-one-of-the-leagues-best-at-catching-contested-passes

Anyone know if Dez is proficient route runner?  If I remember correctly he’s not...

It sounds like Dez’s role need to change, and I’m starting to have 2nd thoughts that he can do it.  Ideally he’s do what Fitzgerald did.... but that guy is a HoF WR.

I don’t know what Dez is worth but I no longer see him as a Cowboy.  With 16 million to spend, no one is out range in the FA.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018WR.php

I like Paul Richardson, Marquise Lee, Cameran Merideth and you could probably get all three for the price of Dez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

While Bryant’s numbers have dropped, it might be a little presumptuous to write this guy off just yet. One thing he still does extremely well is come down with contested passes when his defender is draped all over him.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/2/7/16985576/dez-bryant-is-still-one-of-the-leagues-best-at-catching-contested-passes

Anyone know if Dez is proficient route runner?  If I remember correctly he’s not...

It sounds like Dez’s role need to change, and I’m starting to have 2nd thoughts that he can do it.  Ideally he’s do what Fitzgerald did.... but that guy is a HoF WR.

I don’t know what Dez is worth but I no longer see him as a Cowboy.  With 16 million to spend, no one is out range in the FA.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018WR.php

I like Paul Richardson, Marquise Lee, Cameran Merideth and you could probably get all three for the price of Dez.

Going in circles now....

you don’t get 16M by cutting Dez- or trading him.    No team is going to take his full salary off the books unless you are giving something else of value.   Like a draft pick.     

53 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Going in circles now....

you don’t get 16M by cutting Dez- or trading him.    No team is going to take his full salary off the books unless you are giving something else of value.   Like a draft pick.     

True.

Bryant still has two years left on the deal that he signed back in 2015. If the Cowboys decide to release him this offseason, they would save roughly $8.5 million in cap space, a total that could shoot up to $12.5 million if he's designated a post-June 1 cut. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

True.

Bryant still has two years left on the deal that he signed back in 2015. If the Cowboys decide to release him this offseason, they would save roughly $8.5 million in cap space, a total that could shoot up to $12.5 million if he's designated a post-June 1 cut. 

That is interesting-    Post June 1st might be the way to go.  You can get a good look at him and light a fire under his arse till then.  

I just don't see the Cowboys cutting Dez.  They don't have enough good receivers as it is. Witten is slowing down, Beasley and T. Williams are JAGs.  Plus he is a fan, and Jerry, favorite.

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I just don't see the Cowboys cutting Dez.  They don't have enough good receivers as it is. Witten is slowing down, Beasley and T. Williams are JAGs.  Plus he is a fan, and Jerry, favorite.

They are stuck with him, it's great.

I'm starting to believe (reading tea leaves) more and more he will be cut:

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett declined to say if Dez Bryant will return this season.

"We have a tremendous amount of love for Dez as an organization," Garrett said. "Obviously there are a lot of decisions we have to make with our team. We have some guys at different kinds of contracts that you have to discuss every year." Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones also didn't rule out cutting Bryant after calling him a "distraction" this offseason. Bryant's on-field production has been in decline the last three years and he hasn't looked the same since a Jones fracture derailed his 2015 season. The Cowboys can save $12.5 million from making Bryant a post June cut.
Source: ESPN Dallas
Feb 28 - 6:01 PM

It would be a wise business decision to just release him and sign another receiver. Unless he's willing to seriously renegotiate. 

30 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

It would be a wise business decision to just release him and sign another receiver. Unless he's willing to seriously renegotiate. 

That's precisely why I think he will be cut.  It's without a doubt in the best interest of the Cowboys to lower his price tag but prideful Dez probably won't go for it.  

1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

That's precisely why I think he will be cut.  It's without a doubt in the best interest of the Cowboys to lower his price tag but prideful Dez probably won't go for it.  

Why should he take a pay cut because his new QB can't deliver him the football? 

If my job's success depended on you to get your work to me in time for me to finish it on time. I wouldn't take a pay cut cause you failed to do your job correctly. 

Just now, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If my job's success depended on you to get your work to me in time for me to finish it on time. I wouldn't take a pay cut cause you failed to do your job correctly. 

I'm not debating that or disagreeing with you.  I'm simply stating Dez has already publicly stated he's not taking a pay-cut and that will more than likely force the Cowboys hands to release him.  

9 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Because he's not going to get that much $$$ anywhere else, that's why. 

2 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Because he's not going to get that much $$$ anywhere else, that's why. 

I bet by getting cut and resigned by a new team he gets a hell of a lot more than what he'd get taking a pay cut. 

He will probably get a better opportunity to catch footballs too. If I'm him I'd encourage being cut. Cowboys are a sinking ship. Time to jump off anyway. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

I really don't think Dez is going anywhere.  Releasing him leads to too much dead money.  It is not going to happen.

9 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

He's much more at fault than Dak. He got 140 targets last year and was still garbage. Been vastly overrated for 3 years now...the masses are FINALLY starting to catch on.