theSPANKER

Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook

So now we know for a fact what Dez wants in order to play for a new team

According to Dez all he wants is "realness"?:huh:

Edited by dashoe

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So now we know for a fact what Dez wants  to play for a new team

According to Dez all he wants is realness?:huh:

Canadian League? Johnny Football to Dez Bryant? 

Could happen! 

Edited by South Carolina

"I want to help a team win a championship."

But naw..."I just want realness man."

No wonder he left without a contract.

Very odd interview process. 

1. Greeting everyone like he is already on the team but never met any of the teams star players and QB?

2. interviews like he's not the sharpest tool in the shed

• Like 1

To think he could have just taken a paycut and still had a job.  Guess that ain't realness tho.

34 minutes ago, ragrag said:

To think he could have just taken a paycut and still had a job.  Guess that ain't realness tho.

False statement. Was never offered. He said as much that he was prepared to take a cut had it been offered. 

Fake news. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

I'm probably down to draft him... late... if he gets signed and is motivated it could pay off in a major way... especially since late round WRs usually don't produce useful numbers anyway... 

23 minutes ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

I'm probably down to draft him... late... if he gets signed and is motivated it could pay off in a major way... especially since late round WRs usually don't produce useful numbers anyway... 

Uh no, actually they do. Take Adam thielen for example. Or Chris hogan or a bunch of other guys every year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Uh no, actually they do. Take Adam thielen for example. Or Chris hogan or a bunch of other guys every year. 

Thanks for your 2 examples...lol...and Thielen was a mid-rounder at an ADP of 109 anyway so...no...most of them don't pan out...go look at some statistics before posting your falsities...

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/fantasy-football-studying-the-positional-draft-value-of-wrs/

Dez is like a 14th rounder...so no...he has upside that isn't matched by the likes of Mohamed Sanu...let me know how Jordan Matthews worked out for you last year...and John Brown...and Rishard Matthews...and Corey Davis...and Ted Ginn...

Edited by confusedmrkrabs

7 hours ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

Thanks for your 2 examples...lol...and Thielen was a mid-rounder at an ADP of 109 anyway so...no...most of them don't pan out...go look at some statistics before posting your falsities...

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/fantasy-football-studying-the-positional-draft-value-of-wrs/

Dez is like a 14th rounder...so no...he has upside that isn't matched by the likes of Mohamed Sanu...let me know how Jordan Matthews worked out for you last year...and John Brown...and Rishard Matthews...and Corey Davis...and Ted Ginn...

I'm not a big believer in Dez joining a team after camp and producing wr1 or 2 numbers predicatbly, consistenly. Maybe bye week filler but not worth draft capital or a roster spot. Too many variables  such as chemistry with QB and absorbing the playbook, unless he is running a go route every snap.

He is waiver fodder and late round draft picks may not pan out but waiver picks can

funchess-goodwin-cole-lee worked out for me last season

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm not a big believer in Dez joining a team after camp and producing wr1 or 2 numbers predicatbly, consistenly. Maybe bye week filler but not worth draft capital or a roster spot. Too many variables  such as chemistry with QB and absorbing the playbook, unless he is running a go route every snap

Dez has played a long time, I'm sure he knows more than go routes.

If he ends up somewhere like SF he would put up some nice #s

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Dez has played a long time, I'm sure he knows more than go routes.

If he ends up somewhere like SF he would put up some nice #s

He played a long time on Dallas with dallas playbook. Top Wr's need to do more than just run a route to get snaps, they need to know how to block on certain plays too. 

Why would he put up nice #'s in SF  with no training camp when Shanny has a very  sophisticated playbook ?

unlike rb's wr's are not plug and play positions

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

8 hours ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

Most of any late round picks dont pan out. In any fantasy sport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Most of any late round picks dont pan out. In any fantasy sport. 

They don't pan out relative to other positions... I literally provided a link to the site that completely broke down numbers by tiers by round by position... regardless... you're not disproving my original point at all... Dez has upside unmatched by other WRs going in the 14th round... 

9 hours ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

Yeah I also don't have any faith in Dez being a fantasy asset this year. I agree with you that the hit rate on later round fliers is low, but I think there are much better options than Dez in most leagues. Speaking of Matthews, I just picked him up yesterday for free. I could go through my waiver list and pick out a ton of other guys I'd rather stash in my last roster spot than Dez. If he'd been on a team 2 months ago I might feel different, but this close to the season still without a team or playbook to look at isn't good

10 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

False statement. Was never offered. He said as much that he was prepared to take a cut had it been offered. 

Fake news. 

He was never offered b/c Dez preventatively shot it down in the media.

Educate yo'self. 

Dec 2017 - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000899155/article/dez-bryant-on-taking-pay-cut-in-2018-hell-no-man

April 2018 - https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/13/17236574/dez-bryant-says-now-he-would-have-taken-a-pay-cut-to-stay

It'd kind of like being a douche at your job openly saying "if they don't promote me then I quit" and then suddenly out of the blue you get fired.  How could they?

20 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Yeah I also don't have any faith in Dez being a fantasy asset this year. I agree with you that the hit rate on later round fliers is low, but I think there are much better options than Dez in most leagues. Speaking of Matthews, I just picked him up yesterday for free. I could go through my waiver list and pick out a ton of other guys I'd rather stash in my last roster spot than Dez. If he'd been on a team 2 months ago I might feel different, but this close to the season still without a team or playbook to look at isn't good

I understand this... I have minimal faith in Dez... just think he's the best upside guy at WR that late... 

13 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Educate yo'self. 

Dec 2017 - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000899155/article/dez-bryant-on-taking-pay-cut-in-2018-hell-no-man

April 2018 - https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/13/17236574/dez-bryant-says-now-he-would-have-taken-a-pay-cut-to-stay

It'd kind of like being a douche at your job openly saying "if they don't promote me then I quit" and then suddenly out of the blue you get fired.  How could they?

This is correct..... He proclaimed over and over he wouldn't take a pay cut and then after the fact, he said he was open to one.... Now, whether or not if he would have told management he was open to restructuring earlier in the process it would have saved his job is open to debate, but Dez saying he would have taken a pay cut after getting cut was pretty disingenuous.

I'm a little surprised he hasn't found a gig.  One thing that will weigh on Dez at this point, is he's not the smartest apple in the cart.  It took him a lot of time to learn the system in Dallas and I would assume it'll take him some time to get acclimated to another system.  Now he will only have a week to get ready for the season?  Ugh.  I'm not sure he has much value.  Even if he signed tomorrow, he probably doesn't have much value the first month if the system is pretty different.  He's a RZ threat so that will always help his value but I'm leaning towards he doesn't help many fantasy owners this year..... Time's running out on him.  He really needs an injury to an outside WR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

He played a long time on Dallas with dallas playbook. Top Wr's need to do more than just run a route to get snaps, they need to know how to block on certain plays too. 

Why would he put up nice #'s in SF  with no training camp when Shanny has a very  sophisticated playbook ?

unlike rb's wr's are not plug and play positions

Terminology might change but Dez can't run a slant or slogo or post route for the 49ers because he won't know who to block or can't learn the playbook?

I'm just not buying that. Dez was a diva WR on a cowboys team mostly allergic to throwing the football but has still played in the league for many years.

Count me in the camp of those that think Dez can make an impact wherever he signs.

16 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Terminology might change but Dez can't run a slant or slogo or post route for the 49ers because he won't know who to block or can't learn the playbook?

I'm just not buying that. Dez was a diva WR on a cowboys team mostly allergic to throwing the football but has still played in the league for many years.

Count me in the camp of those that think Dez can make an impact wherever he signs.

He can definitely make an impact in real world football but I don't think he will be a reliable fantasy asset. Bye week filler in my book and good luck predicting which week he will get you points that warrant a starting roster spot

Edited by dashoe

37 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Educate yo'self. 

This is what basically happens every single day in the world we live in.

Everyone talks a big game until the time comes.

I've talked to my girl about quitting my job before.

Doesn't mean I did.

These are not the same thing at all.

I'm sure if your job was saying business isn't good this year, we MIGHT BE reducing everyone's salaries 10% you might be compelled to say out loud, no way, I work too hard, I refuse to go backwards 10%.

Then your boss comes to you and says , "Hey, fake news, I gotta hit you with this 10% cut if you want to stay here."

You look down at your desk and see the picture of your wife, your kids, your dogs, standing in front of a house with a high mortgage that you haven't paid off yet, and you have no other offers or anywhere else to go.  

You take a big gulp, and you say... "I understand" and then you eat it.

Being cut without being offered a pay cut is not the same thing as turning down a pay cut when you have nowhere else to go.

Fake News still stands.

12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm sure if your job was saying business isn't good this year, we MIGHT BE reducing everyone's salaries 10% you might be compelled to say out loud, no way, I work too hard, I refuse to go backwards 10%.

Then your boss comes to you and says , "Hey, fake news, I gotta hit you with this 10% cut if you want to stay here."

You look down at your desk and see the picture of your wife, your kids, your dogs, standing in front of a house with a high mortgage that you haven't paid off yet, and you have no other offers or anywhere else to go.  

$hit got real in the Dez Bryant 2018 outlook thread today.

Damn man. 

• Like 2

Best case for Dez seems to be waiting for the inevitable WR injury this week, or in the first couple weeks of reg season. Be it to an outright WR1 or at least clear-cut WR2. If he gets a QB who can throw a decent back shoulder fade, that's his bread and butter, no matter if he learns the playbook quickly or not.

Didn't really like Dez in recent years fantasy-wise. But when others pick kickers, I gonna pick Dez!

Edited by frog34

33 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

$hit got real in the Dez Bryant 2018 outlook thread today.

Damn man. 

Yeah it did.  For a minute there I thought we were talking about a blue-collar manufacturing version of Dez with a wife and kids and dog and everything.  

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This is what basically happens every single day in the world we live in.

Everyone talks a big game until the time comes.

I've talked to my girl about quitting my job before.

Doesn't mean I did.

These are not the same thing at all.

Being cut without being offered a pay cut is not the same thing as turning down a pay cut when you have nowhere else to go.

Fake News still stands.

usually in the NFL it's you are released, traded or your contract is restructured in a way that benefits the team.  Dez had 22more years on his existing contract so there is always a way to restructure if a player wants to stay and a team wants him to stay.

Dez was from reports was released and none of the other options were offered. I remember a tweet where he said it wasn't his decision to leave.

I assume it was simply the organizations decision that

1. They didn't want him anymore

2. they save on cap

3. Jerry was convinced by the anti-Dez coalition to sign off on releasing him. 

What sucked for him was he was released after the inital FA period was mostly over and the draft was the focus.

Someone on his payroll dropped the ball in terms of the Dallas situation, there had to be conversations prior to the FA period where it was apparent they wanted to move on without Dez.  Teams don't usually treat their long term vets like that. 

And now it has been  a series of poor decision making on his teams part in getting him in a uniform and preparing for week1 of the season

Edited by dashoe