FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Cook - Torn labrum in each shoulder (3 total surgeries), ankle issue in '15, hamstring issues in '16, ACL in '18, lingering hamstring in '18. Has missed 16 of 23 games in the NFL - 70%.

Fournette - Chronic ankle injury, quad injury in '17, lingering hamstring in '18. Has missed 9 of 23 games in the NFL - 40%.

Gordon - Has missed 6 of 55 games in the NFL - 11%.

Sorry but the comparisons simply are not justified.

Someone gets it

1 hour ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

He'll be fine.  He wasn't even listed on the injury report in London.  They did it as precaution as to not risking him being out like Cook/Fournette.  He'll be back week 9 and ready to roll. 

Someone else gets it.

im starting to wonder if all these nervous posts are coming from ekeler owners lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Someone gets it

Someone else gets it.

im starting to wonder if all these nervous posts are coming from ekeler owners lol

I have neither, but I have seen how wicked hamstring injuries can be this year. It's the year of the hamstring. Lesson is: don't underestimate its power.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Cook - Torn labrum in each shoulder (3 total surgeries), ankle issue in '15, hamstring issues in '16, ACL in '18, lingering hamstring in '18. Has missed 16 of 23 games in the NFL - 70%.

Fournette - Chronic ankle injury, quad injury in '17, lingering hamstring in '18. Has missed 9 of 23 games in the NFL - 40%.

Gordon - Has missed 6 of 55 games in the NFL - 11%.

Sorry but the comparisons simply are not justified.

The claim was Gordon has been a model of health. He hasn't. Those previous injuries conveniently came at the end of the year. This one didn't. I have Gordon in three leagues but he isn't Zeke or Gurley in terms of durability. He has consistently gotten hurt. In the past, as noted, it happened at the end of the year and this year it is considered to be minor (then again so was Fournette's). 

If he keeps getting hurt every year that luck won't continue forever. Eventually that injury will come in Week 1 or Week 3 or Week 5. It is whistling past the graveyard to assume the injuries will always be minor or come after you have banked nearly a full season of production.

Almost every RB is injury prone so I will still take him in the top 5 next year but I will do so without any wishful thinking or illusions of him being an iron man. Gordon doesn't have a cheat code to guarantee the injury will always be in December.

Of course we have seen players who got hurt often early in their careers generally avoid injuries for the remainder of their careers. Hopefully Gordon falls in that camp.

Edited by Ace_King

8 hours ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

He'll be fine.  He wasn't even listed on the injury report in London.  They did it as precaution as to not risking him being out like Cook/Fournette.  He'll be back week 9 and ready to roll. 

Hopefully but that's what we heard with Fournette when he was held out of the first game: it was just a precaution--he could have played if they needed him! Fournette and Cook are extreme cases but we can't just assume this will be a one game absence. 

Edited by Ace_King
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

The claim was Gordon has been a model of health. He hasn't. Those previous injuries conveniently came at the end of the year.

Melvin Gordon actually said he could have come back for the final 2 games of 2016 (and wanted to to reach 1k yards), but the CS held him out because the season was over anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kdko said:

Melvin Gordon actually said he could have come back for the final 2 games of 2016 (and wanted to to reach 1k yards), but the CS held him out because the season was over anyway.

Good info. Didn't know that!

On 10/26/2018 at 7:08 PM, RonnieRonaldo said:

This is false.

"A hamstring injury left Gordon limited at Friday's practice, but he was ultimately not placed on the final injury report. However, the Chargers added him to the report as a precautionary measure Saturday. It is unclear if the big-time back has suffered any type of setback. With Sunday's game being in London it will be important to check on his status ahead of the 9:30 a.m. EDT kickoff. Should things take a turn for the worse, Austin Ekeler would be in line to replace him at running back."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/chargers-melvin-gordon-late-addition-to-injury-report/amp/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikeyvegas said:

This is false.

"A hamstring injury left Gordon limited at Friday's practice, but he was ultimately not placed on the final injury report. However, the Chargers added him to the report as a precautionary measure Saturday. It is unclear if the big-time back has suffered any type of setback. With Sunday's game being in London it will be important to check on his status ahead of the 9:30 a.m. EDT kickoff. Should things take a turn for the worse, Austin Ekeler would be in line to replace him at running back."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/chargers-melvin-gordon-late-addition-to-injury-report/amp/

You disagree with his post...but proceed to post an update that proved his point? 

Confused. 

I don't think we'll know for sure until practice reports start coming out.

I did see one interview with the Chargers coach that said he felt like he needed to protect Gordon last week and hold him out.  It definitely didn't sound like it was a serious pull and my reading into it was they wanted to play it safe.  They probably figured they didn't need him to beat the Titans and knew they had the buy week coming in hopes they could get him back to 100% for the second half.

Hamstring injuries can definitely linger though so this could probably go either way.  Just hoping they were smart here so that this doesn't turn into a Fournette situation.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I don't think we'll know for sure until practice reports start coming out.

I did see one interview with the Chargers coach that said he felt like he needed to protect Gordon last week and hold him out.  It definitely didn't sound like it was a serious pull and my reading into it was they wanted to play it safe.  They probably figured they didn't need him to beat the Titans and knew they had the buy week coming in hopes they could get him back to 100% for the second half.

Hamstring injuries can definitely linger though so this could probably go either way.  Just hoping they were smart here so that this doesn't turn into a Fournette situation.

Think you and I read the same report....Think it came from chargers wire or something like that. I fully believe it was just a minor tweak and they def were protecting him. Gordon was upset that he didnt dress making me think that he felt good enough to go yet management didnt want to risk it. As we all found out, chargers are a much better team with him on the field than relying solely on Ekeler. We shall see this week, I think he is in our lineups come game time.

Just now, Zekepeak86 said:

Think you and I read the same report....Think it came from chargers wire or something like that. I fully believe it was just a minor tweak and they def were protecting him. Gordon was upset that he didnt dress making me think that he felt good enough to go yet management didnt want to risk it. As we all found out, chargers are a much better team with him on the field than relying solely on Ekeler. We shall see this week, I think he is in our lineups come game time.

Yeah....I agree.  Had also saw that Gordon was upset and felt he could play.

We'll see I guess.  I'd expect he's limited in practice but hopefully he's active and suits up this week.  The guy has been a monster this year and that offense is clearly better with him in there.

I'm not casting Ekeler aside any time soon though and feel like he's still a nice handcuff.

by RotoWire Staff
(3 hrs ago) Gordon (hamstring) is a candidate to return for Sunday's game at Seattle, Eric D. Williams of ESPN.com reports. "The week off really helped Melvin," coach Anthony Lynn said. "He ran well last week. He's going to do some things this week, and we'll see where he's at. But hamstrings can be tricky, so you don't want to rush those."

Gordon was held out of the Chargers' last contest on Oct. 21 (a 20-19 victory against the Titans in London) after he was unable to get through a pregame warmup. With a bye week to improve the health of his hamstring, he'll tackle Week 9 prep with the intent to play Sunday. As Lynn mentioned, hamstring injuries can linger, so Gordon's status is one to watch as the week continues. Another absence would allow Austin Ekeler remain in the starting lineup.

42 minutes ago, herschel said:

by RotoWire Staff
(3 hrs ago) Gordon (hamstring) is a candidate to return for Sunday's game at Seattle, Eric D. Williams of ESPN.com reports. "The week off really helped Melvin," coach Anthony Lynn said. "He ran well last week. He's going to do some things this week, and we'll see where he's at. But hamstrings can be tricky, so you don't want to rush those."

Gordon was held out of the Chargers' last contest on Oct. 21 (a 20-19 victory against the Titans in London) after he was unable to get through a pregame warmup. With a bye week to improve the health of his hamstring, he'll tackle Week 9 prep with the intent to play Sunday. As Lynn mentioned, hamstring injuries can linger, so Gordon's status is one to watch as the week continues. Another absence would allow Austin Ekeler remain in the starting lineup.

Fingers crossed

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

It surely looks to me he is suiting up. They will need him. Ekeler is better suited at being a part timer, not the man. 

Of course they need him, but not willing to risk making this a season long problem. Hamstrings are a terrible injury to try and manage.

My friends...this is the NFL. All hamstring injuries are a minimum of 4 weeks or they will automatically be re-injured. Has any player come back from a hamstring injury this year in less than 4 weeks? I'm going to say no

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

My friends...this is the NFL. All hamstring injuries are a minimum of 4 weeks or they will automatically be re-injured. Has any player come back from a hamstring injury this year in less than 4 weeks? I'm going to say no

Hilton just did

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

Hilton just did

How did that work out for you and/or his owners?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

How did that work out for you and/or his owners?

Well he didn't automatically re injure himself, and he did return  before the 4 week minimum time frame that you suggested.

Are you really gonna blame the last game on his hammy?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

Well he didn't automatically re injure himself, and he did return  before the 4 week minimum time frame that you suggested.

Are you really gonna blame the last game on his hammy?

Do you consider a player back with 1 catch? I mean back to normal star production that actually helps your team

So do you think his 1 catch was due to a bum hammy? 

I consider a player back when they are playing.  You stated that no player ever came back this year without at least 4 weeks off, and if they did they would get re injured.  And Hilton did come back earlier than 4 weeks and without re injuring himself.

Sorry that he didn't  see as many targets as you were hoping for...

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Hello Ekeler owner 

• Haha 2