FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

6 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Means nothing if he sits or sucks during fantasy playoffs...I want guys that play the entire year like Zeke and not losers who fade down the stretch like Conner, Kerryon, etc...

I'm struggling to believe you're serious. Conner is a loser? Guy was a STEAL for where he was drafted even if he doesn't play another snap the rest of the year. Gordon went in the 2nd round, also a steal. Sure Zeke seems injury proof but he's a top 4 pick. You're basically saying you want guys like Gurley. Well yeah, everyone does. There aren't a whole lot. 

• Thanks 1

Lynn says the knee is a bigger issue, smdh..

5 minutes ago, mjb said:

Lynn says the knee is a bigger issue, smdh..

Meh, guys can play through knee issues, I’d be more worried if the hammy goes again. 

Also, source on that ?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Meh, guys can play through knee issues, I’d be more worried if the hammy goes again. 

Also, source on that ?

The RW blurb on Gordon.

10 hours ago, Ace_King said:

The RW blurb on Gordon.

I checked myself, since I tend to not put much into the blue-text in a Rotoworld blurb. Looks like it truly is the knee that's causing the concern at the moment.

Source: http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41045379-4

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said Gordon is dealing with a sore knee. “Most starting runners this time of year are sore or something’s wrong,” Lynn said. “So we’ll have to decide if it’s worth holding him back or just letting him go.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone think these limited and missed practices  have anything to do with his contract?

Edited by BRIGUY11

I can wait & sub in AJones if Gordon doesn’t go, but I’m having a hard time believing he won’t. First it was hamstring, then knee...wondering if this is all coachspeak explaining his limited practices. If they go limited, they have to have a reason listed on the injury report right? There was no reports of him leaving practice Wednesday before being limited last 2 days. Gordon looked great on Sunday & there was no issue after the game. 

This is precisely why I will never understand why people don't handcuff top RBs with clear backups. If you have Ekeler you're really not worried right now. I realize he'll probably only produce about 75% of what Gordon does, but it's not devastating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRIGUY11 said:

Does anyone think these limited and missed practices  have anything to do with his contract?

Yes.  I said that earlier and got sh*t on big time here.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGDDYKWL said:

This is precisely why I will never understand why people don't handcuff top RBs with clear backups. If you have Ekeler you're really not worried right now. I realize he'll probably only produce about 75% of what Gordon does, but it's not devastating. 

Ekeler not really a great example for why people should carry handcuffs.

They/Rivers won't ever use him as a feature back. Rivers won't just auto-trust Ekeler like he does Gordon.

So, ya, you'll secure 6-13pts by holding Ekeler with possibility of boom/bust -- still an argument to be made that holding him cost you one of those "waivers of the year".

That being said, I understand the pursuit of security --- It just isn't as airtight as some people like to think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Ekeler is not nearly as effective when he's the lead back.  It's not that simple macho man.  

Edited by gbill2004
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I can wait & sub in AJones if Gordon doesn’t go, but I’m having a hard time believing he won’t. First it was hamstring, then knee...wondering if this is all coachspeak explaining his limited practices. If they go limited, they have to have a reason listed on the injury report right? There was no reports of him leaving practice Wednesday before being limited last 2 days. Gordon looked great on Sunday & there was no issue after the game. 

Could be more maintenance than injury but usually your full practice once.

i have a jones also and I’m going to probably play him over Gordon regardless.

If it’s a game time decision and he plays and sees 8 touches I’m gonna be pissed. His matchup is much better than someone like jones, but do you risk the decoy/limited plays? Or risk him leaving early due to straining it?

Edited by Zekepeak86

51 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Yes.  I said that earlier and got sh*t on big time here.  

Could one of you guys explain this to me?  I'm genuinely interested in why this may have to do with his contract.

58 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I think you have to cuff your top RB, assuming there is a clear cuff, in leagues that consist of 12 teams or more. Your RBs at the back of the bench will be RB3/RB4 types and at best that is what will be available on the wire. A cuff has more value, especially since RBs often get hurt and the cuff will likely start at points of the season for you. So I would rather have a cuff at the end of my bench then a guy like Ito Smith.

In a 10 team league it depends on your roster and wire. If your worst RB is Mack then you don't really need a cuff, although an argument could be made in the cases of high ceiling cuffs. I.e., that the cuff's ceiling is so much better than your bench RBs you would be playing the cuff anyway, but that's rare. The only cases I put in that category right now are Ware (proven) and Brown (unproven but likely).

12 minutes ago, KRB80 said:

Could one of you guys explain this to me?  I'm genuinely interested in why this may have to do with his contract.

I guess the logic is to preserve his health and avoid a devastating injury right before he gets a new contract I believe after the 2019 season. No point in risking his health now on a lowly rookie contract.

The flip side is that if he’s deemed injury prone or not durable, then it will negatively affect his contract value as well.

I don’t exactly agree with this line of logic but I do see the merits of it.

Edited by WaiverLooter

4 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I guess the logic is to preserve his health and avoid a devastating injury right before he gets a new contract I believe after the 2019 season. No point in risking his health now on a lowly rookie contract.

The flip side is that if he’s deemed injury prone or not durable, then it will negatively affect his contract value as well.

I don’t exactly agree with this line of logic but I do see the merits of it.

Thanks for the reply.  It seems like that would be in the main interest of the player/agent and not the team though.  Not sure they have that call to limit themselves...

I just hope he's able to play and remain healthy enough to be very productive. If not, hopefully we can get the news sooner rather than later.  I'll be paying attention to Schefter's tweets tonight/early AM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

My roster below, as an example, is why I don’t handcuff. Why waste a spot “just in case” when you can work the WW & snag possible RB1’s? In the Chargers’ case,  Ekeler has also been proven to be part of a committee when Gordon doesn’t play. He’s not an automatic RB1 like Gordon is

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lvsaint429 said:

My roster below, as an example, is why I don’t handcuff. Why waste a spot “just in case” when you can work the WW & snag possible RB1’s? In the Chargers’ case,  Ekeler has also been proven to be part of a committee when Gordon doesn’t play. He’s not an automatic RB1 like Gordon is

Not arguing that he doesn’t have a bellcow pedigree, but he handled like 90% of the snaps against the titans in london.  Results weren’t great, but those same titans can’t stop the pass and held zeke in check, so......right now not enough info on ekeler as the lead back.

Cuffing does not work.  You held Ekeler but then missed out on Aaron Jones or James Conner.  You held Chase Edmunds and missed out on Josh Adams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1