FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

Not to get too far off track but Lynn was able to work magic with Shady and Gill, will both Gordon and Ekeler be worth owning and every week starters? I just don't know if Ekeler has the nose the end zone Gill had that season.

• Like 1

I think Ekeler is kind of in the doghouse for fumbling. Don't sleep on Rookie Justin Jackson out of Northwestern cutting into Ekeler's playing time. Kid is smooth...

9 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Just my 2 cents... 

Fantasy productivity is about talent and situation. 

Coming out I thought he was overdrafted and was a typical overhyped Wisconsin RB. 

I definitely thought he was good, just not top 15 good at a time when RB's were rarely going first round anymore. 

I still stand by this though. I think he's good not great. 

Last year though when Anthony Lynn became the head coach I said I wanted everything to do with him at this point. 

Anthony Lynn, former RB, former RB's coach, believes in power running and feature backs. 

If Gordon was the RB for almost any other NFL team he'd be an easy pass for me, but he's not. He's the RB of the chargers under Anthony Lynn and is in a very great situation. 

Going into 2018 he is currently healthy, in great shape, playing behind an improved line, and playing under Anthony Lynn. Bottom line... I'm backing him again in 2018 and will work to get him on my squads regardless of me only believing he is good and not great. 

This is all very accurate, I’ve watched a lot of Melvin Gordon and he is definitely not great but very serviceable. I do think an improved o-line will be huge for him though. There were so many times last year where he had no room and nowhere to go so that’s really what killed his YPC, I don’t think he should be entirely blamed for his inefficientcy in that area. With that said he also doesn’t create something out of nothing like a lot of other RBs do so that doesn’t help him either. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, Red Sox Nation said:

Ekeler saw at least 25% of snaps from weeks 7-13  (7 games). MG3 still piled up 18.6 carries per game during that span. A bigger issue was his receptions dropped to 2.1 per game. In the 9 other weeks of the season, MG3 averaged 17.1 carries and 4.8 receptions per game. So, workload wise MG3 was just fine, but Ekeler's emergence was a throw-back to the Danny Woodhead days where MG3's pass-protection was shown as a clear issue to the Chargers. The Tweets above by NYR Fan would back these thoughts up.

With Hunter Henry gone, it makes sense that Rivers will rely more on rb's in the short passing game. So, is MG3 the guy to rack up another 50+ catches and take on that role, or does Austin Ekeler limit Melvin to another 30-35 catch pace? This could be the difference between Melvin challenging the top 5 rb status vs low-end rb1. 

Either way, given the amount of carries he will likely see + goal line, there should be no debate on him being a clear rb1. There are 7 rb's I'd take ahead of him, but if I'm drafting in the pick 10-12 range and MG3 ends up my rb1, I'm just fine with that.

7 rbs ahead of him? hunt? fournette? whos the 7th

4 minutes ago, floppy said:

1. Gurley 2. Bell 3. Zeke 4. DJ 5. Fournette 6. Barkley 7. Kamara 

4 minutes ago, floppy said:

Hunt for sure. I wouldn't have a problem with Fournette or Saquon going ahead of Gordon either. So, I'd draft him anywhere from #7 to #9 RB in my book. By consensus ADP he's #8 right now with both Fournette and Saquon in from of him and Hunt right behind him.

Chargers are going to be soooooo good. Or at least they should be. No more underachieving.

Buy, buy, buy. 

19 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

1. Gurley

2. Bell

3. Zeke

4. DJ

5. Kamara

6. Fournette

7. Gordon

8. Hunt

9. Mixon

10. Barkley

Hard to put a unproven player ( Saquan ) above him. That's how I see it anyways.

Edited by Trench Mob

22 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I agree with your top 5 as a 1st tier for this year.  Gordon, Barkley, Kamara, & Hunt (in no particular order) are all in my 2nd tier for the following reasons:

Gordon- offensive line should be better, but will he get as many receptions?

Barkley- all indications are he's already establishing himself as an integral part of that offense, but he's a rookie so...

Kamara- I just don't know how his workload is gonna shake out after Ingram returns, & the upgrades with Meredith & Watson in the passing game

Hunt- Reid gets too cute with his substitutions, Ware is back & indications are he looks great, & Mahomes could be inconsistent enough to kill drives

I have no problem, however, taking any 2 of these 9 as my starting RB's as my signature shows

Edited by lvsaint429
  • Like 1

Chargers are going to be good.

Until week 3. When half of their offense line is injured, half of their WRs are injured, they need to pull guys off the street in order for them to even have a defense, and their coach got ran over by Gurley on the sideline. Just following the trend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Chargers are going to be soooooo good. Or at least they should be. No more underachieving.

Buy, buy, buy. 

1. Gurley

2. Bell

3. Zeke

4. DJ

5. Kamara

6. Fournette

7. Gordon

8. Hunt

9. Mixon

10. Barkley

Hard to put a unproven player ( Saquan ) above him. That's how I see it anyways.

Gordon has a chance to lose some of his role. As a Badger fan and someone that (A) took Gordon round 1 last year and (B) would do it again, I like MG3 a good deal. But realistically, he's terribly inefficient and not a great pass protector. He's a nice safety valve for Rivers and he's a goal line stud, so he'll have great value. But as I mentioned, there was a 6-7 game stretch where Gordon was playing at about a 35 reception pace. This is a big year for Gordon. Big. Everything is in place for him to be a stud, which is why I'd still take him round one. But the Giants made a monster investment in Barkley. Gettleman basically mocked analytics (literally did in a press conference) and is all-in on Barkley. They'll be using him all over. I'm expecting a huge recieving role for Saquon, as well as 250+ carries. Running backs drafted top 5 tend to see HUGE volume, so I wouldn't let the fact that he's a rookie scare me off. 

Also, Mixon might flat out be an average rb who's role is capped with the presence of Gio and a poor o-line, so I could NEVER take him above Saquon. That's just my two cents there..

But back to MG3. He's going to be an rb1. Just understand, there are pitfalls here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I agree with your top 5 as an 1st tier for this year.  Gordon, Barkley, Kamara, & Hunt (in no particular order) are all in my 2nd tier for the following reasons:

Gordon- offensive line should be better, but will he get as many receptions?

Barkley- all indications are he's already establishing himself as an integral part of that offense, but he's a rookie so...

Kamara- I just don't know how his workload is gonna shake out after Ingram returns, & the upgrades with Meredith & Watson in the passing game

Hunt- Reid gets too cute with his substitutions, Ware is back & indications are he looks great, & Mahomes could be inconsistent enough to kill drives

I have no problem, however taking any 2 of these 9 as my starting RB's as my signature shows

Holy smokes. You literally have the same thought process as me. On everyone. We'll find out in December if that was good or bad..

• Like 1

If I'm in the 10-12 hole and my draft goes RB heavy I've got absolutely no problem with this guy as my RB1. There are a number of guys I'd take ahead of him and I'd be tempted to look at Fournette and Cook due to shiny-new-toy syndrom. But Gordon's just fine for me.

• Like 1

Eh Fournette and his ankle scares me, and with Andy Reid showing he likes to use ware, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hunt split carries a bit. I think Gordon is safer than them 

Edited by floppy
  • Like 1

Blind stat sheet Gordon will almost surely put up extremely good numbers, but you just don't get excited when you draft him. That puts him below 8-9 RBs IMO.

Looks like Gordon might get more receiving work than I thought: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24323851/fifteen-fantasy-tips-my-training-camp-tour-kirk-cousins-jimmy-garoppolo  (check #7)

I still personally will have him 8, but Fournette/Barkley/Kamara/Gordon now clearly make up tier 3 to me, and in any order I guess I wouldn't argue too much. 

Volume volume volume!  I've owned this guy in a keeper league for a couple years now and I keep thinking about trading him, but he puts up numbers.  With the recent chatter about all the targets he will get it keeps me from making any rash moves.  I agree with all the concerns people have in this but at the end of the day he just puts up points.  It might not be pretty but he's my RB1 going into this keeper season.  Just ride the train...

24 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Looks like Gordon might get more receiving work than I thought: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24323851/fifteen-fantasy-tips-my-training-camp-tour-kirk-cousins-jimmy-garoppolo  (check #7)

All his tips make excellent sense to me. I usually expect garbage or overhyped statements in these articles but all of this is more or less in line with what I have in my notes.

Something must be wrong ;)

15 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Blind stat sheet Gordon will almost surely put up extremely good numbers, but you just don't get excited when you draft him. That puts him below 8-9 RBs IMO.

Don't know what it is but I just can't pull the trigger on him. He has put up solid state lines every year but when I watch him play, I just don't see anything that makes me think he is the "real deal". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dogfightgiggle said:

This offense is likely to spread the ball more.  I believe they look to Ekeler and Gordon as Kamara/Ingram type splits.

Could not disagree more.  Ekeler is not nearly as talented as Kamara.  I see something more along the lines of 80/20.

1 minute ago, Goatstain3 said:

Could not disagree more.  Ekeler is not nearly as talented as Kamara.  I see something more along the lines of 80/20.

Yep, the volume for Ekeler will not be nearly as high as the Ingram/Kamara split.  Volume will go to MG as long as he is healthy.

3 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Wasn't that way last year when both were healthy wks 10-14. Only when Ekler got hurt in wk 15 did Gordon's volume return.

17 minutes ago, dogfightgiggle said:

This offense is likely to spread the ball more.  I believe they look to Ekeler and Gordon as Kamara/Ingram type splits.

Absolutely no way that happens. Ekeler will never be more than a COP back. Yes, he’s more shifty & quicker than Gordon, but he doesn’t have the strength to break tackles or have the size to carry a heavy workload. Gordon has proven to be able to be a workhorse, & his o-line should be better. Gordon’s low ypc was due to getting hit in the backfield all the time, but shouldn’t have that problem as much this year

37 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Absolutely no way that happens. Ekeler will never be more than a COP back. Yes, he’s more shifty & quicker than Gordon, but he doesn’t have the strength to break tackles or have the size to carry a heavy workload. Gordon has proven to be able to be a workhorse, & his o-line should be better. Gordon’s low ypc was due to getting hit in the backfield all the time, but shouldn’t have that problem as much this year

You better hope Ekeler gets hurt again...

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

You better hope Ekeler gets hurt again...

Not worried at all. Gordon is the 3-down versatile back & does the GL work. Ekeler is a situational COP back & might stay that way if Jackson plays well in the preseason to earn a few snaps too