FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

53 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Absolutely no way that happens. Ekeler will never be more than a COP back. Yes, he’s more shifty & quicker than Gordon, but he doesn’t have the strength to break tackles or have the size to carry a heavy workload. Gordon has proven to be able to be a workhorse, & his o-line should be better. Gordon’s low ypc was due to getting hit in the backfield all the time, but shouldn’t have that problem as much this year

I remember watching the game last season where I think he had 3 rushing TD's. All of which were longer than 20 yards I think and he broke multiple tackles. It was impressive. Seems to dispute what you are saying. There is nothing wrong with Ekeler's size either. Ekeler and Gordon are similar in weight, but Gordon has 3" on him. At 5'10" Ekeler is the same height as most bellcow RB's.

11 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Not worried at all. Gordon is the 3-down versatile back & does the GL work. Ekeler is a situational COP back & might stay that way if Jackson plays well in the preseason to earn a few snaps too

That's not how Whisenhunt treated them when both were healthy.

With fewer touches Gordon's efficiency likely improves.  EKeler was one of the  most efficient players in the league last year, i believe.  It benefits the offense as a whole.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, devaster said:

I remember watching the game last season where I think he had 3 rushing TD's. All of which were longer than 20 yards I think and he broke multiple tackles. It was impressive. Seems to dispute what you are saying. There is nothing wrong with Ekeler's size either. Ekeler and Gordon are similar in weight, but Gordon has 3" on him. At 5'10" Ekeler is the same height as most bellcow RB's.

They might have being receiving TD's now that I think about it. but they were still dumpoffs that Ekeler took 20+ yards to the house breaking tackles along the way.

41 minutes ago, devaster said:

They might have being receiving TD's now that I think about it. but they were still dumpoffs that Ekeler took 20+ yards to the house breaking tackles along the way.

He had 2 receiving TD’s vs. JAX & he was barely touched on both. His TD run vs BUF he was untouched up the middle. He’s slippery, but not a tackle-breaker. Not saying he doesn’t have value, but he’s not a threat for more than a 70/30 split

Everything is lining up for Gordon this year.  Improved O-line, coach says he wants him to catch the ball more.  I think he's being underrated right now.  We all know he's getting a heavy workload and will be getting the majority of GL touches.  I'm looking for a career year from Gordon and will be grabbing him before the likes of Fournette, Hunt, Cook, Barkley or Kamara.  It's not a sexy pick, but it's the right one. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TommyKramer said:

Everything is lining up for Gordon this year.  Improved O-line, coach says he wants him to catch the ball more.  I think he's being underrated right now.  We all know he's getting a heavy workload and will be getting the majority of GL touches.  I'm looking for a career year from Gordon and will be grabbing him before the likes of Fournette, Hunt, Cook, Barkley or Kamara.  It's not a sexy pick, but it's the right one. 

The easiest way to win a league is to load up on the not sexy picks. They’re always going far lower than they should.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:04 AM, TommyKramer said:

I'm pretty close to being right there with you, but U think I'd still go for Barkley first, and maybe Fournette. But Gordon has so much going for him this year, he's a three-down back who gets goal line carries, defenses can't stack the box with all of the other LAC weapons, their defense should keep the script good (and even when it doesn't, Gordon is a good enough pass catcher to keep producing), their coach has produced elite fantasy season before (McCoy). About the only thing going against him is the concern how many touches Ekeler will get, and that's as much a projection as anything else. His performance last year and Lynn's history says he will get some, but enough to counter all the things Gordon has going for him? I don't think so. And there's a decent chance that Ekeler doesn't do anything. The league tends to adjust to guys in their second years.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:08 PM, dogfightgiggle said:

With fewer touches Gordon's efficiency likely improves.  EKeler was one of the  most efficient players in the league last year, i believe.  It benefits the offense as a whole.

Good call.

Ekeler averaged 7.3 yards per touch, behind only Kamara and Thompson among top 50 backs.

But for all the talk of Gordon's inefficiency, he's not that bad.

4.6 per touch

Bell - 4.8

Zeke - 4.7

McCoy - 4.6

Fournette - 4.4

Howard - 4.2

Edited by SadFaceHappy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

I'm pretty close to being right there with you, but U think I'd still go for Barkley first, and maybe Fournette. But Gordon has so much going for him this year, he's a three-down back who gets goal line carries, defenses can't stack the box with all of the other LAC weapons, their defense should keep the script good (and even when it doesn't, Gordon is a good enough pass catcher to keep producing), their coach has produced elite fantasy season before (McCoy). About the only thing going against him is the concern how many touches Ekeler will get, and that's as much a projection as anything else. His performance last year and Lynn's history says he will get some, but enough to counter all the things Gordon has going for him? I don't think so. And there's a decent chance that Ekeler doesn't do anything. The league tends to adjust to guys in their second years.

Something about the guy that leaves people unimpressed. He could finish RB2 overall and still people will talk about RBs 3-12 ahead of him. 

Maybe it's the name Melvin? Doesn't really scream "run you over and break your sternum with my cleats".

More like "gently squeeze between your two defenders (while doing calculus in my head) and coast in for the touchdown". 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

Something about the guy that leaves people unimpressed. He could finish RB2 overall and still people will talk about RBs 3-12 ahead of him. 

Maybe it's the name Melvin? Doesn't really scream "run you over and break your sternum with my cleats".

More like "gently squeeze between your two defenders (while doing calculus in my head) and coast in for the touchdown". 

He's not a super flashy player like a Bell or a Zeke. He's not the "sexy new toy" like Barkley or Kamara. But he gets the job done, and consistently.

• Like 1

Gordon might be the safest pick in that second tier at RB.   I have pick 8 in a 12 team and I expect to be chosing from Gordon, Hunt, Cook, Fournette and Kamara with a slim possibility that Barkley makes it there.  Of this group I think Barkley is at the top, then it really comes down to personal preference.  Gordon, based on age, recent performance, the offense, and touches might be the safest pick in this group (outside of Barkely).  Cook is explosive but has the knee.  Fournette has the touches but gets dinged, and had 2 very long TD runs last year that skewed his numbers a bit.  Hunt has all the talent, but was very erratic production wise, and Kamara never had more than 12 carries in a game.   It's going to be fun to look back at seasons end and see which RBs from this group performed, and which didn't, but to me Gordon is primed for a solid to very good season. 

1 hour ago, DConny1 said:

He's not a super flashy player like a Bell or a Zeke. He's not the "sexy new toy" like Barkley or Kamara. But he gets the job done, and consistently.

Spot on. And we've had some great backs over the years who weren't flashy. Arian Foster, Terrell Davis, Shaun Alexander, Steven Jackson, Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, Eddie George, MJD, Forte, etc... Good vision + good blocking + opportunity goes a long way.

I have him as the #5 RB overall this year. Everything is aligned perfectly for him this season; great offense, improved o-line, good defense, they want him to catch even more passes, goal line back, bellcow, etc. if he finished overall RB1 I wouldn’t be surprised. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blu Exile said:

I have him as the #5 RB overall this year. Everything is aligned perfectly for him this season; great offense, improved o-line, good defense, they want him to catch even more passes, goal line back, bellcow, etc. if he finished overall RB1 I wouldn’t be surprised. 

I don't see him finishing in front of Gurley... and he's just not as good as the guys in front of him...but his situation could hardly be better... I have him as RB5-6 as well... 

26 minutes ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

I don't see him finishing in front of Gurley... and he's just not as good as the guys in front of him...but his situation could hardly be better... I have him as RB5-6 as well... 

Could be, but I distinctly remember a lot of people in here saying Gurley just wasn't that good after his 2016 season. Like, that was the exact wording. In fairness, Gurley didn't look good in 2016, not at all. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gordon, with everything going right for him like it did Gurley in 2017, doesn't look like a totally different back. Confidence means a lot, and in college anyway Gordon passed the eye test as well as any back.

Just now, Fierylady said:

Could be, but I distinctly remember a lot of people in here saying Gurley just wasn't that good after his 2016 season. Like, that was the exact wording. In fairness, Gurley didn't look good in 2016, not at all. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gordon, with everything going right for him like it did Gurley in 2017, doesn't look like a totally different back. Confidence means a lot, and in college anyway Gordon passed the eye test as well as any back.

I think those people were dumb and wrong... I've owned Gurley the past 2 years... Gordon is a good back... but he's not as good as... basically any RB going in the top 20 imo... but again... doesn't matter... his situation is great... he could easily be a top 2 RB by the end of the year... 

4 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

LeMelvin Gordon.

There.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, confusedmrkrabs said:

I don’t even have Gurley in my top 3.

Ekeler actually scares me a bit because he looked very capable last year when Gordon was dinged up and has looked good this preseason. Gordon’s value comes from his volume and red zone usage, if Ekeler cuts into it then that’s trouble. 

1 hour ago, scheibler said:

ekeler doing well in his start this preseason game effect his usage?

Gordon is the clear RB1 here. Versatile & has a nose for the GL. Ekeler will get his 8-10 touches a game & look good doing it as a COP. His quickness is a nice complement to Gordon, but he won’t get much more run than he has in the past

• Like 3