Sign in to follow this  
Trader Mac

Most upside

Which OF has the most upside--Franchy Cordero or Anthony Santander?  Or are neither of them worth owning?  TIA

I would say Cordero. He's a little bigger with power and speed. 

They are roughly the same age.

In 2016, Santander played strictly A+ ball 128 games 20 hr 42 doubles 0 3B 10 SB 118 K 54 BB

In 2016, Cordero played up to AAA, 137 games, 11 HR, 24 2B 16 3B 23 SB 154 K 39 BB

2017 Santander didn't play much

2017 Cordero in 93 MiLB games had 17 HR, 21 2B, 18 3B, 15 SB, 118 K, 23 BB

In under 100 games Cordero had 56 extra base hits. Yowsers. Those #'s extrapolated out to 162 games are like 25 HR, 32 2B, 28 3B, 22-25 SB

Santander is a good palyer. I'd probably rather own him, but Cordero has some tantalizing upside. Plus at 6'3", he may grow into some real power to go with that speed. I wouldn't be shocked if he put it together and had some 30/20 seasons. 

Thanks sng.  But this quote is making it harder for me to choose!

"Santander is a good player. I'd probably rather own him, but Cordero has some tantalizing upside"

Yep. But you asked about upside haha. 

Honestly, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Santander is going to get an extended look in the MLB to start the year, or else the Orioles won't maintain his rights. There's a better chance he pays immediate dividends. I lean him slightly, but if I'm swinging for the fences because I don't need production now and have a good young team, Cordero is my guy.