howlin' 2

Detroit Lions 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I just remember watching Patricia on the sidelines for the Patriots as they would routinely get gashed by various teams the last few years. Blame it on the lack of talent on the defense (there really was a lack of talent), but I'm really starting to question Patricia. All 3 phases of the Lions looked awful yesterday.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

I just remember watching Patricia on the sidelines for the Patriots as they would routinely get gashed by various teams the last few years. Blame it on the lack of talent on the defense (there really was a lack of talent), but I'm really starting to question Patricia. All 3 phases of the Lions looked awful yesterday.

I blame his pencil.

2 hours ago, devaster said:

My fellow Patriots' buddies and I were laughing our faces off last night.  What a joke.  I don't care if this guy is an astrophysicist or whatever - that game and that sideline were a joke. 

Perhaps the Jets are that good. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by dudewithabadcat
  • Haha 1

You DET fans are getting what you deserve for running Caldwell out of town. Enjoy being a laughingstock again.

Have any Belichick assistants been successful as head coaches? Ozzie Newsome has been a successful GM, but he was also in a similar role with Belichick.

3 hours ago, oresteszero said:

giphy.gif

Do you have New Orleans included ?

They started 0-2 last year looking about as Bad as Detroit. We will see who is laughing last @ end of the season.

Glad to see Sternes is finally on board with me. NOBODY will run the ball effectively with the play calling duties in the hands of Jim Bob Cooter. Also need to get the ball out quick in space on first down more often. Stafford can't run play action because no one respects the run game. Stafford is getting killed like last year. You might want to change something.

That being said Coach Pistachio isn't looking good for his supposed expertise as a defense guru. Outside run defense and LB coverage in the passing game was horrible last year and it looked worse last night. Ziggy is already with his annual injury.

Playoffs are looking pretty dim right now but I look for the offense to turn around and win in shootouts (if Stafford survives) Plus can somebody say a prayer for Prater . If his season continues like That performance last night I'm afraid he will fall off the wagon.

50 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

You DET fans are getting what you deserve for running Caldwell out of town. Enjoy being a laughingstock again.

Whoa, what the heck? Caldwell was only mediocre. We've been through enough since Suh and Megatron left. Take it easy. 

What we should do is try to swap coaches with UM so that we would have Jim Harbaugh and they can have pencil-beardface. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

My fellow Patriots' buddies and I were laughing our faces off last night.  What a joke.  I don't care if this guy is an astrophysicist or whatever - that game and that sideline were a joke. 

Perhaps the Jets are that good. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

We are learning the hard way that the magic from the Pats organization was all Belichick and Brady.

Pactricia is a nobody. His claim to fame is that stupid pencil and that disgusting beard. Why would he even need a pencil? Is he so full of brilliant ideas he needs to be able to scribble them down at a moment's notice? Unlikely. He's just a stupid gimmick and Detroit fans love him because he looks like Robert Baratheon. As if that meant anything. This guy is a fat clown and worst of all, he's a sh*t football coach. 

Quinn has also been a disappointment. The Lions message boards are full of fans on this dude's jock even though he hasn't done anything or signed any decent players. We spent all our money on an O-line that just let our franchise qb get molested all game. Of course that means there was no money to spend on defense and it showed last night as we let freaking Crowell score 2 tds and 102 rushing yards on 10 carries lol. What a disaster. The Vikings sign Sheldon Richardson, the Bears trade for Khalil Mack and who did we get? A bunch of no-name depth guys that got raped all night. This team is pathetic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Caldwell was never good.  Team barely changed in his 4 years than Schwartz's last 4.  Still choked terribly because Caldwell just stands there dumbfounded.  Apparently Patricia is a disciple of his coaching, not BB.  The team didn't have an identity under him and still doesn't. 

Remember when the Colts got rid of him too?  Why was that?

• Like 1

Interesting development.

9486.jpg

NFL.com's Mike Garofolo reports Lions veterans were "griping" about new coach Matt Patricia during training camp.

Specifically, the "number of rules put in place" and "how hard he worked them" during the summer. The Lions, of course, got blown out of the building in Patricia's debut on Monday. It will be a dynamic to watch as the season unfolds. Ex-Bill Belichick assistants have a way of flying too close to the sun trying to implement his ways elsewhere.
Sep 11 - 4:47 P

• Like 1

Was just about to post this.  Vets griping.  Bunch of losing whining about having it tough in camp.  Guess Lions don't believe in discipline.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Was just about to post this.  Vets griping.  Bunch of losing whining about having it tough in camp.  Guess Lions don't believe in discipline.

Amendola shared some interesting stories about his time in NE. Belichick is apparently the kind of person that will talk down to you and insult you in front of your peers. He looks to call players out for mistakes and rail on them for that.

Some people can deal with that and just brush it off. I am the kind of person that isn't bothered by that and brush it off. I had a boss like that. And it caused friction and fights almost broke out amongst my other coworkers towards the boss several times. It got to a point where one coworker wasn't even on speaking terms with that boss anymore and they were separated. Another coworker was always miserable. It can create a toxic working environment.

Makes me wonder if Patricia is trying to manage like Belichick in that aspect. It takes people with the right mindset to handle that type of verbal abuse and brush it off. It works in NE because people are brought up in the organization with that culture always there. I can see trying to bring that culture to a new organization being a complete disaster. Hopefully Patricia isn't also like Belichick in that respect.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

Amendola shared some interesting stories about his time in NE. Belichick is apparently the kind of person that will talk down to you and insult you in front of your peers. He looks to call players out for mistakes and rail on them for that.

Some people can deal with that and just brush it off. I am the kind of person that isn't bothered by that and brush it off. I had a boss like that. And it caused friction and fights almost broke out amongst my other coworkers towards the boss several times. It got to a point where one coworker wasn't even on speaking terms with that boss anymore and they were separated. Another coworker was always miserable. It can create a toxic working environment.

Makes me wonder if Patricia is trying to manage like Belichick in that aspect. It takes people with the right mindset to handle that type of verbal abuse and brush it off. It works in NE because people are brought up in the organization with that culture always there. I can see trying to bring that culture to a new organization being a complete disaster. Hopefully Patricia isn't also like Belichick in that respect.

Except this isn't the complaint.  It is specifically, "rules" and "being worked hard".  Makes them look pathetic especially about MNF.

Caldwell must have stroked their egos and something else because these guys sound soft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

Except this isn't the complaint.  It is specifically, "rules" and "being worked hard".  Makes them look pathetic especially about MNF.

Caldwell must have stroked their egos and something else because these guys sound soft.

That is still vague, despite those being "specified". Definitely interesting to follow though. Appears like a complete dumpster fire.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

That is still vague, despite those being "specified". Definitely interesting to follow though. Appears like a complete dumpster fire.

They were whining about having to run in the summer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/06/08/detroit-lions-matt-patricia-danger-losing-players-running/686349002/

Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his players. This was my main observation from three days of minicamp this week. The Detroit Lions rookie coach wants things done his way. And his way means running as punishment. Lots and lots of running. That’s not likely to endear him to his players, many of whom are experienced professionals who don’t need or care to be treated like junior varsity tryout players. “These are true professionals,” rookie running back Kerryon Johnson said Tuesday while marveling at the talent level difference between college and NFL players. “These are grown men, 30, 35, 25.” Patricia’s tactic smacked of amateurism, and even though it was generally downplayed as an innocuous slap on the wrist, I can guarantee you most players don’t care for it. For one, it’s insulting at this level. For another, it’s a waste of time.

This is of course the author's opinion who loves him some Caldwell.  I'm also not sure if that is Kerryon complaining or not.  It is terribly worded.  If it is, a rookie talking about the HC and how he does his job is out of line. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937204/article/marvin-jones-defends-patricia-its-football-we-run

Joining NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Thursday, Lions receiver Marvin Jones laughed off the controversy. "Shoot, it's football. We run. You know what I'm saying?" Jones said. "Nobody is complaining. Everybody is just going out here working hard and we're having fun doing it "So, whoever's grandma wrote that story, I don't know." Sick grandma burn. The column has since been roundly criticized as off-base and intentionally inflammatory. Others might tend to call it #FakeNews.

Jones said the Lions practices under Patricia have been "great" and the seven-year pro dismissed any concerns that Detroit could become New England West, even with the coach importing some tactics Bill Belichick uses, like making players run for mistakes. "That's one thing I do is run," Jones said of Patricia making players take laps as punishment. "In the NFL you have to be able to run all day. I mean these practices, they've been great. Obviously, we use this part of the offseason to set that solid foundation and I think that's what we've been doing. "We're not the Patriots, so all the players saying 'oh, we don't like it there' and stuff like that, we're doing our thing here. It's a new regime, it's a new Detroit Lions right now." Thus ends one of the weirdest offseason sagas. In reality, Patricia should thank the columnist. He got NFL players to defend their coach's punishment devices and basically say they like to run. Maybe Matt Patricia the rocket scientist is truly smarter than all of us.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/06/11/detroit-lions-matt-patricia-shawn-windsor/689243002/

It's the same reason Bill Belichick runs his Patriots in New England. Not surprisingly, the famously stern coach makes his players run up a hill after practice, as he did last week, according to ESPN's Mike Reiss.  Belichick believes good conditioning habits lead to good practice habits, which lead to reliable game habits. It's true that some players — heck, maybe most players — don't dig the extra running. Yet here is what wide receiver Julian Edelman, told Reiss after the Patriots' historic come-from-behind Super Bowl win two years ago against the Falcons:  "We have these hills in Foxborough that we have to run, and we all bitch and complain about it," he said. "But we put in the work, put in the conditioning, and we knew we could wear on (the Falcons) if we were able to do that ... It tells you how mentally tough this team is. Down 25 points, it’s a microcosm of the season. Some adversity, we stick together, keep on playing and grinding." I didn't hear any complaining last week in Allen Park during minicamp.  When asked about running more, quarterback Matthew Stafford said the team just wants to get better and defensive end Kerry Hyder said he just wants to keep chopping wood.  That doesn't mean everyone was thrilled with the change in strategy. Nor does it mean some didn't grumble amongst themselves. It's not fun running wind sprints, especially during and after practice. Then again, it's not fun practicing in the first place. Because it's not supposed to be. It's football. 

This isn't like other sports where practicing involves playing the actual sport. In football, practice is broken down into components. It involves little hitting, particularly during the season.  It is mostly repetition, of figuring out where your coaches want you to be at any given moment … and how they want you to react once you are there.  If your feet are in the wrong spot, if your hands are in the wrong spot, if your eyes are fixated on the wrong thing, you're in trouble, both with your coaches and against your opponent. Patricia is drilling his vision into the Lions right now and will for the rest of the summer.  Will he continue into the fall? Will he keep making them run? That's hard to say. When asked about the noticeable uptick in running last Thursday, Patricia gave a Patriot-like non-answer: “I mean, it’s just practice. So, I’m not really sure what was done before, but we’re just trying to practice.” On further thought, his answer was indeed an answer.  "It's just practice," he said.  Meaning, running is part of practice. Running after a mistake is part of practice. Running at the end of practice, after a couple of hours in the sun, sheathed in shoulder pads and a helmet, is part of practice. For a reason.  

As Edelman pointed out after the Super Bowl win over Atlanta, his Patriots ran 47 more plays than the Falcons did. Many of those plays had come out of a no-huddle formation, which means players must drag themselves to the line of scrimmage without the benefit of a rest break. Belichick spotted the Falcons sucking wind.  

"It looked like we started to press them in the fourth quarter," he said, "… our conditioning paid off." Why wouldn't Patricia want to model the Lions after that? Why wouldn't he want to thin the locker room of players who don't buy his approach? 

Lions are trading for Damon Harrison from the Giants.  This D/ST could be creeping into fantasy relevance.  I'm streaming this weekend at home against Seattle.

31 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Lions are trading for Damon Harrison from the Giants.  This D/ST could be creeping into fantasy relevance.  I'm streaming this weekend at home against Seattle.

If they can get Ziggy Ansah back and now snacks, they could really get a huge boost on the D-Line and pass rush.  Secondary already pretty solid.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I doubt Snacks will have much of an impact this week, but they can be a sneaky good pick up for the 1st 2 weeks of the playoffs going up against the Cards and Bills. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

I doubt Snacks will have much of an impact this week, but they can be a sneaky good pick up for the 1st 2 weeks of the playoffs going up against the Cards and Bills. 

Agreed if he's even active he will probably play limited snaps.  With that said I was already planning on streaming them before the trade was announced.  The guys are really starting to buy in and understand Patricia's defensive scheme.

You guys got yourself a great run stuffer.  I was not happy when the Jets let him walk to the Giants.

Lions acquired NT Damon Harrison from the Giants in exchange for a 2019 fifth-round pick.

The Lions' defense has been bulldozed for a league-high 5.3 YPC this season and were in the market for any help up the middle. Regarded as one of the league's best run-stoppers, "Snacks" should assist in the trenches immediately. Harrison has notably garnered Pro Football Focus' No. 4 grade among 169 qualifiers on the interior in run defense this season. He figures to play over Sylvester Williams in the old Alan Branch role in coach Matt Patricia's defense. Harrison is already the second domino to fall for the rebuilding Giants, following in the footsteps of recently-shipped CB Eli Apple.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, joshua18 said:

Man, Caldwell was not the answer to any aspiration above mediocrity. 

Maybe MP crashes and burns, but there was no sense in grabbing Bob Quinn if he was just going to hang onto Caldwell. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 5:48 AM, joshua18 said:

Yes we will. Caldwell was hired to fix Stafford and he did. Let's see if Stafford stays "fixed" in 2018 and if DET can match the 9+ wins that were so unacceptable in 2014, 2016 and 2017.

@howlin' 2

Yeah...the answer was clearly a NO on that one. Only in the NFL can an inept HC make the team he inherited much worse, yet keep his job. 

Enjoy remaining losers, DET fans. This last-place season is just the beginning of what you deserve for putting a shiv in the back of the only winning HC you've had in the past century.

Get used to the first of many double-digit loss seasons you're going to have with Patricia as your HC.