Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigPapi44

Mike Moustakas 2018 Outlook

Nothing but crickets at this point.  Surprised he has not generated more interest, but seems like there really has not been much of any market/rumors for Mouse.

The issue is, how many teams who are contenders who 

1. Need a 3B

2. Are willing to lose draft pick or picks depending on their situation

3. Want to be buyers this offseason and are not trying to avoid LT or save their loot for run at guys next year?

Thats a pretty narrow field...and low demand (which it seems to be) equals lower price.  Honestly I would of loved to see the Pads sign him instead of making a run at Hosmer, probably be cheaper and a better fit. 

3 hours ago, parrothead said:

The issue is, how many teams who are contenders who 

1. Need a 3B

2. Are willing to lose draft pick or picks depending on their situation

3. Want to be buyers this offseason and are not trying to avoid LT or save their loot for run at guys next year?

Thats a pretty narrow field...and low demand (which it seems to be) equals lower price.  Honestly I would of loved to see the Pads sign him instead of making a run at Hosmer, probably be cheaper and a better fit. 

Why would a team lose a draft pick for just signing a free agent?

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why would a team lose a draft pick for just signing a free agent?

QO was made

Yeah, actually, as someone who can keep him in a league this year, I’d love for his 2018 team to be settled before I make my decision. 

San Diego would diminish his value, whereas Milwaukee or NYY would boost it. I know the Brewers already have Shaw, but wouldn’t Moose be an improvement over Headley or whoever? And aren’t they in win-now mode?

edited: Torreyes? Man, I know the NYY are supposed to have semi-limited budget under current ownership demands, but doesn’t this make a ton of sense for them?

2 minutes ago, countseth said:

Yeah, actually, as someone who can keep him in a league this year, I’d love for his 2018 team to be settled before I make my decision. 

San Diego would diminish his value, whereas Milwaukee or NYY would boost it. I know the Brewers already have Shaw, but wouldn’t Moose be an improvement over Headley or whoever? And aren’t they in win-now mode?

Think the Yanks are saving their money for next year's FA class.  They are trying to unload Ellsbury and seem to be willing to cover a lof of his remaining salary, but should free up some more cash.  They also have in-house options with Andujar and G. Torres.  I suspect the Yanks would like to add someone on a one year deal, to keep the seat warm and allow the 'kids' some extra seasoning.  As a result, I don't think they are a great fit for Mouse.

Thought the Cardinals might be a decent fit, but haven't heard him linked there.

Dark horse might be the Red Sox if they can't sign JDM.

Move him to 1B maybe.

No one wants to sign him to more than 2 years because it would put the contract over $50 million and cost that team a first round pick.  That has to be the biggest sticking point for a lot of teams.  I think he likely ends up signing a one year deal with the Yankees as a result.  That's his best chance to cash in.

1 hour ago, countseth said:

edited: Torreyes? Man, I know the NYY are supposed to have semi-limited budget under current ownership demands, but doesn’t this make a ton of sense for them?

really depends if they think andujar can play 3rd base at a big league level

edit: i actually think the mets would be a good fit for him.

27 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

really depends if they think andujar can play 3rd base at a big league level

edit: i actually think the mets would be a good fit for him.

+1

Bruce/Cespedes/Moose would not only rhyme, it'd be a nice L/R/L power punch 

31 minutes ago, malta69 said:

+1

Bruce/Cespedes/Moose would not only rhyme, it'd be a nice L/R/L power punch 

Are the Mets looking to add payroll?

Thought I read the Mets were looking at Frazier for third base? 

I own  Moustakas for one more year in an AL only . Would love him to sign one year with the Yankees.i don't see the Red Sox remotely interested . Moreland signed for two years 

Hypothetically, if Mike M goes to the White Sox, how will this help his stats? The stadium has to be better, I'd imagine.

I wouldn't mind the Pirates making a move for him, but that's not their style, lol. He wants more than we'd be willing to give. I'm as surprised as most of you that he hasn't generated more interest, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't picked up sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

Hypothetically, if Mike M goes to the White Sox, how will this help his stats? The stadium has to be better, I'd imagine.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of an Abreu/Moose/Garcia combo of some sort

1 minute ago, lavaman said:

Can't believe nobody's picked him up yet.

Wish the Jays would, then trade Donaldson. They could move a lot of pieces and get younger at 3b, put Vlad in the OF with Grichuk and Hernandez or something. 

It's been all but silence on Mouse.  Not even sure what his asking price was going into the off-season.  If I were him, I would be looking at only a 2 year deal so I can get signed and also be available the year after the next big FA market next off-season and try and prime myself by staying healthy and putting up good numbers in the meantime.

Anyone wanna take a crack at projections? I know where he ends up changes things but what do you guys think about his 2017 season? Is he a 28-32 HR guy or more of a 35+ guy? 

1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

Anyone wanna take a crack at projections? I know where he ends up changes things but what do you guys think about his 2017 season? Is he a 28-32 HR guy or more of a 35+ guy? 

Honestly, I don't see anyone signing him.

Who? Who signs him?

If not the white sox or the yankees, there is no one.

Yankees won't sign him due to luxury tax issues.

White sox have stated they have no interest in adding a piece like this (although, admittedly, I thought it was going to happen a couple weeks ago, pretty shocked it didn't happen as the fit is there)... it's just the draft pick compensation kills his value. Why would the W'Sox sign him to lose a valuable pick and pay money to him when they are looking at in house options.

There's nowhere for this guy to go unless he's going to look for a minimum.

Chicago (AL) makes too much sense.  1 year, 12 million, and a LOT of regret for Moose.

I don’t understand why the Sox would want to give up a pick just to sign someone to a 1-year deal.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I don’t understand why the Sox would want to give up a pick just to sign someone to a 1-year deal.

One year deal would not trigger the comp pick.

5 minutes ago, Magoo said:

One year deal would not trigger the comp pick.

Really?  They wouldn’t owe a post-Round B pick?