Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigPapi44

Mike Moustakas 2018 Outlook

8 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Definitely falls on both of them. Moose just better hope he rakes in all of that incentive money. 

6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

More players are probably going to start thinking about taking the QO.

Yeah as in:

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports the Royals have reached a one-year, $6.5 million deal with 3B Mike Moustakas.

The deal is still pending a physical. Moustakas will earn a $5.5 million base salary with another $2.2 million available in performance bonuses. The contract also includes a mutual second-year option for $15 million or a $1 million buyout. If the option gets picked up, it would bring the deal's total value to $22.7 million. Moustakas probably regrets turning down Kansas City's qualifying offer, which would have paid him $17.4 million for 2018. It's been an eventful winter for the Royals, who lost Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain in free agency but were able to retain Moustakas and Alcides Escobar while also adding Lucas Duda and Jon Jay. The former second overall pick led the Royals with a career-best 38 homers last season.

If KC doesn't pick up the option, and why should they since they are rebuilding, then the Moose only makes  5.5 mil + 1 mil buy out on second year option plus whatever part of 2.2 mil he meets in incentives.

So his max earning this season would be 5.5 + 2.2 + 1 (going away gift opt out) =  8.7 mil best case.  If he gets injured badly or tanks worst case is no incentives reached which comes to 6.5 mil worst case.

So assuming KC opts out because again why shouldn't they and the 15 mil second year insurance policy is ignored we have Moose losing anywhere from 8.7 mil best case to 10.9 mil worst case this year for turning down the qualifying offer.  Or rather Scott Bora** lost it for him.

So he loses

We’re going to see a work stoppage again at some point. Teams have their best young players under control for multiple years at minimal salaries and realized, rightly so probably, that they shouldn’t commit long term deals with big money to older or non upper echelon players. They have it coming and going right now.

27 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Mike Moustakas and Kansas City have agreed to a one-year contract that keeps him with the Royals and guarantees the third baseman $6.5 million, according to ESPN and multiple reports.

That's it ? That is insane.

Ah, just saw he was a guy that had compensation attached to him. They need to get rid of that. That is really a s---y rule that forks guys over for no fault of their own.

They also need to do something about the large number teams who went into "non compete" mode. 

There are quite a few teams who put away their checkbooks and dealt off quality assets for cheaper assets.

Luxury tax is basically a Salary cap

The easy solution is to instill a salary floor in the next CBA

I'm sure both owners and MLBPA can agree. Given of how much revenue sharing there is now.  The owners from the bigger teams will for want to see the cheap teams actually spend the money they were forced to give instead of pocketing it.

35 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Luxury tax is basically a Salary cap

The easy solution is to instill a salary floor in the next CBA

I'm sure both owners and MLBPA can agree. Given of how much revenue sharing there is now.  The owners from the bigger teams will for want to see the cheap teams actually spend the money they were forced to give instead of pocketing it.

I find it funny that so many people shat on Philli for signing Carlos Santana, yet I see they have the lowest payroll and Santana is making 40% of it. 

I actually think the solution is probably to shorten prospect control.  Guys who could get $100 million + contract are getting less than a million a year. 

2 hours ago, fletch44 said:

Ah, just saw he was a guy that had compensation attached to him. They need to get rid of that. That is really a s---y rule that forks guys over for no fault of their own.

It's a rule instituted to help teams like KC though. It helps teams like KC retain or replenish talent. So it did the job that it was intended, only Moose screwed up himself and turned down the $17.4 MM.

But really the luxury tax rules had just as big or bigger impact. It dissaded teams like the Yankees and Red Sox from even being options. The Yanks easily would have paid more for one year if it didn't put them over the tax. 

Also Moose hasn't proven he's worth big money, he's hit 25 HR once, never hit 290, never had 90 RBI... I have a hard time blaming the rules when the rules handed him $17.4 MM and he made a really poor decision. 

I have no way of knowing, but it seems like very early in free agency he probably could have gotten a 40-60 million dollar deal.

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

I have no way of knowing, but it seems like very early in free agency he probably could have gotten a 40-60 million dollar deal.

I agree. I bet the Mets wish they gave it too.

Hopefully this offseason will be the beginning of the end of super agents promising a long term and usually overpaid contracts.

I totally understand the players saying their are guys that can help a team win, but not at the cost YOU the player decide.

Are the following unsigned players part of the Boras flock?

Lance Lynn

Jake Arrieta

Alex Cobb

Jonathan Lucroy 

Neil Walker

Greg Holland

John Lackey

Brandon Phillips

Jose Bautista

Melky Cabrera

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I find it funny that so many people shat on Philli for signing Carlos Santana, yet I see they have the lowest payroll and Santana is making 40% of it. 

I actually think the solution is probably to shorten prospect control.  Guys who could get $100 million + contract are getting less than a million a year. 

That's the best practical solution...but in terms of negotiation a new CBA. The MLBPA would have to parlay something significant back to get the owners to agree to shortening service time.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Agreed on this.  Teams have so many years of control that they have no incentive to spend money on free agents.  

Along with shorter prospect control, I think they need a real salary cap that comes with a real salary floor, just like the NHL has.  The NHL has a great amount of parity and it's because it's against the rules to tank with a salary that's a quarter of the biggest spenders.  It really level sets the market.

3 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Lance Lynn

Jake Arrieta

Alex Cobb

Jonathan Lucroy 

Neil Walker

Greg Holland

John Lackey

Brandon Phillips

Jose Bautista

Melky Cabrera

Eh good players but what are they asking? I’m sure a few of them are part of a big agency or big agent.

Would I rather take a chance at finding the next Bellinger, Seager, Judge etc or sign these guys?

4 minutes ago, BayofPuigs said:

Eh good players but what are they asking? I’m sure a few of them are part of a big agency or big agent.

Would I rather take a chance at finding the next Bellinger, Seager, Judge etc or sign these guys?

The problem is more so that 2/3 of the league has decided that they can't compete with the top teams, so then why even bother trying to compete at all?  Might as well reduce MLB to 8 teams, and relegate the rest to AAAA.

49 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

It's a rule instituted to help teams like KC though. It helps teams like KC retain or replenish talent. So it did the job that it was intended, only Moose screwed up himself and turned down the $17.4 MM.

I would rather see a different strategy taken or none at all than create a rule that hurts players earnings value.  I don't have much sympathy for teams who won't/can't spend. You want to play with the big boys, spend some money.

8 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

The problem is more so that 2/3 of the league has decided that they can't compete with the top teams, so then why even bother trying to compete at all?  Might as well reduce MLB to 8 teams, and relegate the rest to AAAA.

Even the Dodgers and Yankees had to hit on prospects before they got good. Dodgers continue to fail in the playoffs while teams like the Marlins have won, Astros have won before them. I honestly wish that the MLB was more like dynasty fantasy baseball, the rebuilding teams have no chance like they have now but at least you look at their team and see them being absolutely loaded with A+ prospects under long term control. Right now the top teams are drafting better prospects than many teams as well as offering fantastic contracts to their best players like Kershaw

21 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Lance Lynn

Jake Arrieta

Alex Cobb

Jonathan Lucroy 

Neil Walker

Greg Holland

John Lackey

Brandon Phillips

Jose Bautista

Melky Cabrera

Pretty sure a few are, but Arrieta I'm 95% sure is.