Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Jacob Faria 2018 Outlook

Not sure where he falls in the ranks this season, but i like his attitude. I didnt own him last season and kind of lost track of what happened  to him. Looking at steamer projections, he's a mid 4's era guy who can give you some strikeouts. Anybody see anything more? He out performed his fip/xfip last season, was it a fluke or some underlying skills that might allow him to maintain his these stats?

2017 actual (86ip, 14 starts) - 3.43/4.12/4.39, 1.18 whip, 23.5%k, 8.7%bb

Steamer 2018 projections - 4.28/4.48/4.61, 1.34 whip, 23.3%k, 10.2%bb

Edit: maybe the biggest question, does he have a clear path to a starters role with TB? I'm assuming he does..

Edited by osb_tensor

He’ll easily get a starters role in Tampa. I think he just graded out as a solid 4 starter.  He has pretty league average stuff from what I’ve seen

I was a big fan of Faria last year and got to watch most of his starts before he went down with an injury. He ended up coming out of the bullpen for pretty much the rest of the year after he returned from the DL though with mixed results. He K'd 84 in 86 innings, so just about a K per inning, and had 31 walks. Coming up through the minors he put up some phenomenal control and put away numbers that you love seeing out of a young arm.

I think there is no way he doesn't get a spot in the rotation unless he really blows up in the spring or something. I would expect him to outperform his Steamer projections and be around where he finished last year. Maybe around a 3.5 ERA and 1.22 whip. I was always impressed with his fastball command and his slider + change up offspeed pitches to put away hitters and keep them off balance.

• Like 3

so Faria is having a bad spring. 13.1 IP, 19 H, 13 R, 11 ER, 9 BB, 7 K.

I think it should no noted and remembered that he did a lot better at home in TB.

17 home- 3.10 ERA, 1.06 WHIP

17 away- 3.72 ERA, 1.28 WHIP.

• Like 1

My first rage drop of the 2018 fantasy baseball season. The spring was bad enough that there were huge warning signs. See if he can figure it out after a few more starts, there's chatter apparently already about his spot in the rotation too however. Tough first two matchups, BOS and NYY, but still. This is ugly...

Was awful in spring as well and that seems to have carried through to the season. What happened to him?

An encouraging line tonight and hopefully a step back to where he should be.  5.3 IP 1ER 2H 2BB 7K's 78 Pitches

Anyone watch him today?

I watched him. The biggest difference was his control. He was able to throw strikes consistently today. There was a mechanical fix they made on how he set himself up before he threw his pitch. I hope he has found himself again, I am big on him this year.

The split/change was outstanding last night. IF he has the feel for it back then he can be a useful back-end SP.

I like what I've seen from his control. The issue early on was just no control at all. He walked 8 vs. Boston. Played well vs. Philly 7k/2bb and today the only walk he allowed was intentional. So thats a great sign. Overall, I think hes now pitching as we expected him to. Overall, 3 out of the 4 games has allowed just 1 ER.

Could be off base here, but I thought he threw a bit harder? 92 MPH average on the FB today...spotted it well with a 75% strike rate

I almost started him this week.  Then I laughed and said nah I can't do that.  I know he's still available in one of my leagues but not sure I can fit him.

24 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I like the box score line but did anyone see how he looked vs the Tigers? Really tempted to pick him up. 

analysis on pitcherlist. 

On the write up, it looked like an improvement but not there yet.  Tigers missed a few that should have been ripped.  But still a very good performance and a step forward.  I played him this week but staying very humble about it with a matchup against the Blue Jays. At least the matchup is in Tampa as the Jays have struggled a bit on the road.

Another good performance it seems today vs. Toronto. 

Both starts that I've owned him are the starts he's been blown up.  Refuse to fall for it again.

1 hour ago, DemOrioles said:

Both starts that I've owned him are the starts he's been blown up.  Refuse to fall for it again.

You’re going to hold his @Boston start against him as a reason never own again.  This guy isn’t high enough up in a fantasy rotation to ever see an appearance @NY or @BOS. 

• Like 2

i'm in a 15 teamer where pretty much all usable pitching is gone, but I think it's officially time to move on

2 minutes ago, maybach said:

i'm in a 15 teamer where pretty much all usable pitching is gone, but I think it's officially time to move on

If he can’t go 5 against royals when spotted with 4 run lead he really has no reason to be on fantasy teams.  His fastball sucks, and he’s decided to not have any command this year.  His splitter is effective when working from ahead, which isn’t often.  Growing pains.  

• Like 1