Sign in to follow this  
Gotham_Soldier

Mike Zunino 2018 Outlook

11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Patience.  He isn’t a good average hitter.  The injury likely threw off his timing.  He’ll run into some jacks here soon.  Mariners are facing a plethora of atrocious pitchers in the Chicago series.

Damn this guy knows ball.  Oh s*** it’s me!

• Haha 2

And there is the feast. First hit of the season was a homer. I could've sworn he hit a homer his first AB, and just got under it a little too much and took it to the warning track. His second AB was a no doubter.

Patience.  2 games In a guy here was writing him off lol.  

Just now, chud12 said:

Patience.  2 games In a guy here was writing him off lol.  

I think he has never owned Zunino before and doesn't know how streaky he can be.

I wasn’t writing him off I just wanted to bitch because catcher has been a legit black hole for me all season and I finally got zunino back and he continued the 0fer trend. Been playing fantasy too long to write someone off after 3 games, but it does feel good to complain from time to time. Zunino wantedto shut me up evidently, I’ll take it!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, KrunK said:

I wasn’t writing him off I just wanted to bitch because catcher has been a legit black hole for me all season and I finally got zunino back and he continued the 0fer trend. Been playing fantasy too long to write someone off after 3 games, but it does feel good to complain from time to time. Zunino wantedto shut me up evidently, I’ll take it!

Sounds funny to hear you say all season while we're just in April. I know what you mean, but it just does.

But there are always some worries here..Zunino best belongs in a league that counts OBP in some capacity and I like him in H2H leagues where his streakiness can give you a much needed boost if you time it right.

1 hour ago, kwelch said:

Sounds funny to hear you say all season while we're just in April. I know what you mean, but it just does.

Haha it feels like a long time because today was legitimately the first time I’ve even gotten a hit from my catcher slot this year. Let alone a homer and counting stats. 

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

What a freaking BOMB that was.  Did it hit the moon?

He does not get cheated on his home runs does he?

another dingerrrrrrrrr

patience grasshoppers, one of the best power hitting catchers this season behind the kraken

54 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

another dingerrrrrrrrr

patience grasshoppers, one of the best power hitting catchers this season behind the kraken

It was a nice AB, too. Fouled off some pitches when he was down in the count, worked the count full, and went oppo taco on an effortless swing. Good stuff.

• Like 3

I bet people that held him are glad they did. 3 homers and 7 rbi this week.

• Like 3

K'ing a bit less, another bomb last night. I smell a possible breakthrough coming with this cat.

We know he has anywhere power. Now has an almost full season's worth of ABs ahead as the reg catcher. He can hit .240 but lead the league in home runs, yes please. I don't understand the lack of hype coming into the year.

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

K'ing a bit less, another bomb last night. I smell a possible breakthrough coming with this cat.

We know he has anywhere power. Now has an almost full season's worth of ABs ahead as the reg catcher. He can hit .240 but lead the league in home runs, yes please. I don't understand the lack of hype coming into the year.

I'm with you, but the biggest thing with Zunino is, while hopefully there are some improvements with the Ks, he is going to whiff A LOT, even in this "three true outcome" era. Plus, to this point in his career, he has been wildly streaky. If you don't carry a second cather, that can be a couple weeks of pain in your lineup. 

That said, the only catcher with his level of raw power is Gary Sanchez, who you have to spend a lot more draft/trade capital on. On the teams I own Zunino, I definitely looked for BA/OBP at my other positions, but if you go with more of a AVG/OBP/speed group in the OF for example, he's a great way to balance out the power on your roster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Because I don't think he will hit .240 over the course of the season. I believe he's a .210-.220 hitter that will have extreme cold streaks. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...but I didn't see anything last year that indicates he will be a .240 hitter or lead the league in HR. 

Zunino hits everything hard and he seems to be improving his dicipline. Perhaps Edgar Martinez's mentoring is finally paying off. I don't see why he wont continue to improve off last year

(And I know it doesn't reflect it now in 30 at bats but by dicipline I mean since last season and how he's been chasing less gopher balls this year)

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, flowbee said:

(And I know it doesn't reflect it now in 30 at bats but by dicipline I mean since last season and how he's been chasing less gopher balls this year)

I agree with that. I've watched a pretty decent helping of games that he has played in and there definitely (so far) seems to be more of a willingness to take a pitch here and there. 

Given the state of the catcher position, I'll take any sort of growth. No matter how minimal. 

you could draft Gary Sanchez early or you can get a hr beast in the late rounds for pennies on the dollar. over the past couple weeks Zunino is looking like the smarter pick.

• Like 1

HR, 2 RBI's, 3 game hitting streak going, one of the highest exit velocities in the game. Why no love for this guy? This thread has been dead for nearly 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, InMyBagYo said:

Why no love for this guy? 

.214/.260/.449

4.8 BB%

37.5 K%

61.5 Contact%

20.7 SwStr%

Is that enough?

Edited by Max Rockatansky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The reason there's been "no love for him" is there's not much to say.  Everyone knows Zunino.  He's going to be on every team at such a thin position.  Nothing unknown about him.  He's doing a nice job fantasy-wise at the C position.  Not much to say.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

.214/.260/.449

4.8 BB%

37.5 K%

61.5 Contact%

20.7 SwStr%

Is that enough?

No it's not. He has 7 HR's, 17 RBI's this month, with a .236 average. Not a great average, but the power numbers are there. He barely takes days off, which is rare for most catchers. He went on a tear in the 2nd part of the year last year. He has weaknesses in his game, but those numbers aren't enough for me to completely write him off.