Letitbe793

Carter Kieboom-SS-WSH

I like Kieboom but we really have to remember to take these PCL numbers with a grain of salt. He had an OPS of .721 in AA last year. The Fresno Grizzlies as a team have an .860 OPS and if we're going strictly in terms of expecting their current stats to help right away in the middle infield, then his teammate, Jacob Wilson, has the better credentials with a 1.234 OPS.

All I'm saying is don't get too excited about this stat line just yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanghow said:

I like Kieboom but we really have to remember to take these PCL numbers with a grain of salt. He had an OPS of .721 in AA last year. The Fresno Grizzlies as a team have an .860 OPS and if we're going strictly in terms of expecting their current stats to help right away in the middle infield, then his teammate, Jacob Wilson, has the better credentials with a 1.234 OPS.

All I'm saying is don't get too excited about this stat line just yet.

your point is noted and most likely sound advice. no argument that tempering expectations is good practice with prospects.

keep in mind, though, as of right now kieboom has the 7th highest wOBA in the PCL. of the top 10 in the PCL, he's the youngest (21 y/o), with only yordan alvarez coming close at 22. he also has the highest BB% of the bunch.

as for jacob wilson, he's 28 years old and on his fourth stint in AAA. hardly seems like an apples-to-apples comparison.

my overall point: everyone in the PCL is being exposed to the new super balls and the hitter friendly environment, but when being equally compared to his AAA/PCL peers, he's a standout, especially considering his age and experience. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

your point is noted and most likely sound advice. no argument that tempering expectations is good practice with prospects.

keep in mind, though, as of right now kieboom has the 7th highest wOBA in the PCL. of the top 10 in the PCL, he's the youngest (21 y/o), with only yordan alvarez coming close at 22. he also has the highest BB% of the bunch.

as for jacob wilson, he's 28 years old and on his fourth stint in AAA. hardly seems like an apples-to-apples comparison.

my overall point: everyone in the PCL is being exposed to the new super balls and the hitter friendly environment, but when being equally compared to his AAA/PCL peers, he's a standout, especially considering his age and experience. 

Image result for major league 2 balls gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Being called up Friday 

Edited by CraftyRighty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What is playing time going to be like?   Is he worth FAAB or just up until turner returns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheNephilim said:

What is playing time going to be like?   Is he worth FAAB or just up until turner returns.

So much murkiness here.  He's killing it right now...BUT he's in the PCL...BUT he's super young and talented.  Yeah it could be a temporary thing with Turner and Rendon nursing the elbow, but at the same time Difo/KendrickDozier have been a real weak link in the infield.  Plus this is a team that has shown itself willing to be aggressive with prospects, and a team that should be competitive in a tight division.  

The full range of outcomes is possible here.  But if I had to guess I'd say that if he comes up and hits he'll cement himself in the lineup even after Turner comes up.  It's a gamble sure but I'd definitely be committing some FAAB.

3 hours ago, TheNephilim said:

MeaslyGiantBlackfly.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheNephilim said:

He may be worth it, but the Nats do stil have a lot of MI options.  They've been playing Howie Kendrick a lot and he's hitting .343/.422/.686 in his limited time.

3 Home Runs in his last 4 games. Now hitting .356 with a .482 On Base % and a 1.157 OPS. He may be back up soon if/when the Nats decide enough is enough with Brian Dozier.

• Like 2

The man is just white hot right now.  Over his last 10 games he's hit .456 with 13 runs, 4 HR, 14 RBI, 9 BB and 3 K's.  No stolen bases during this stretch, but the bat is very much alive.  With Trea Turner holding down the fort at SS for the foreseeable future, at what point do they consider playing him at 2B where he may actually be able to come up and contribute?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cizastro said:

The man is just white hot right now.  Over his last 10 games he's hit .456 with 13 runs, 4 HR, 14 RBI, 9 BB and 3 K's.  No stolen bases during this stretch, but the bat is very much alive.  With Trea Turner holding down the fort at SS for the foreseeable future, at what point do they consider playing him at 2B where he may actually be able to come up and contribute?

Kieboom has played 15 games at 2B in AAA already. However Dozier has a 1.028 OPS in June so I don’t think he’s in real imminent danger of losing his job.

I think the best chance for Kieboom is for the sub-.500 Nationals to fall out of the playoff race entirely. Then they flip Dozier to a contender at the deadline and Kieboom can come up the last couple months and get steady starts.

With his proximity to the bigs what are we thinking of Kieboom long term? My personal projections... 

.270/.350/.485 80/25/85

This sound about right to you guys? Not top 25 or maybe even 50, but perhaps top 75.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, thejamman said:

With his proximity to the bigs what are we thinking of Kieboom long term? My personal projections... 

.270/.350/.485 80/25/85

This sound about right to you guys? Not top 25 or maybe even 50, but perhaps top 75.

Think the average can be higher, maybe .280-.285 and I think he's got the power to hit 30Hrs.  The other numbers, like Runs/RBIs, will depend on where he hits in the lineup.  I think he looks like a guy to put in the 3-hole.

• Like 1

The good news today is Kieboom is apparently Plan A at 3B for the Nationals. However with the games he played last year his year of control date is May not 2 weeks into the season. Remember Trae Turner they kept him down til  August to make up for the month to keep him from Super 2 status. Maybe being defending champs they don't really want to see a month of Assdribble at 3B and just let Kieboom play the year out. hopefully we know their intents before draft season.

Hopefully he lights it up in spring training and makes their decision that much more difficult.

Rotoworld's take on it:

The Nationals are giving infield prospect Carter Kieboom a chance to earn the starting third base job.

The departure of Anthony Rendon leaves a gaping hole at the hot corner for the Nationals. The team re-signed Asdrubal Cabrera to a one-year, $2.5 million contract and they are considering him as primarily a third baseman this year. But $2.5 million is back-up money -- not starter's money. The team missed out after making a run at signing former MVP Josh Donaldson. Manager Davey Martinez said he currently has Kieboom atop their depth chart at third base despite the fact he has made just 10 appearances at the position in his pro career -- and he made four errors in those 10 games. Kieboom has played mostly shortstop and some second base in his minor league career. He played in 11 games for the Nationals in 2019. He is a good athlete and should be able to make the transition to third base a smooth one. Fantasy owners should expect to see Kieboom in the Nats' starting lineup every day by the end of April.

Source: NBC Sports Washington                 Jan 18, 2020, 10:00 AM ET

You know I could see this end of April thing actually being valid if he has only played 10 games at 3B ever and made 4 errors during that time.  It would be legit then to hold him back and have him play at AAA without having to learn in the MLB spotlight with a dozen reporters at his locker every other night asking how bad he feels for booting a ball etc.

Of course the question is why didn't he get playing time there in the past since Trea Turner isn't giving up SS any time soon and they knew Rendon was going to be a FA and not guaranteed to stay.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

He was supposed to be the SS of the future. Until Trae went from 2B to SS. Then onto 2B of the future until the Nationals wisely signed Daniel Murphy and Howie Kendrick to stunt the kids growth. Prolly a holdover of the Dusty Baker regime gameplan. If the nationals had not won last year if Kendrick was not MVP then 2B would be Kiebooms domain. but facts are 3B of the future is the latest current plan. If the nationals do trade for Kris Bryant there is a hundred percent chance Kieboom is going in the package to Chicago. 

18 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

He was supposed to be the SS of the future. Until Trae went from 2B to SS. Then onto 2B of the future until the Nationals wisely signed Daniel Murphy and Howie Kendrick to stunt the kids growth. Prolly a holdover of the Dusty Baker regime gameplan. If the nationals had not won last year if Kendrick was not MVP then 2B would be Kiebooms domain. but facts are 3B of the future is the latest current plan. If the nationals do trade for Kris Bryant there is a hundred percent chance Kieboom is going in the package to Chicago. 

Why would they trade away a player under cheap, long term control for someone who may or may not be a FA at the end of this season?

• Like 1

3B seems to be Kieboom's logical position based on scouting reports, which question his range but like his arm. He hasn't played there much but I think he'll take to it fine. He'd have more fantasy value as a 2B though, so that kinda sucks.

I assume Bryant won't be traded until his grievance is heard. he should lose since these things are supposed to be based on contract law and not open for interpretation. However in America judges/arbitrators can do what they want law or justice is secondary to ego. If the arbitrator asks for Bryant's autograph we will get an idea that the fix is in. If Bryant wins I don't think the cubs will be allowed to even float a tender to recoup a draft pick. Obviously Kieboom would only be in the trade if the Cubs keep their 2 years of control. I added that last part to mention Kieboom in his own thread.

• Like 2

I think Kieboom will be fine at 3B now that it appears to be his everyday spot. Aside from learning the position the uncertainty of where he will be playing is one less thing to worry about and he has Ryan Zimmerman there as a mentor. 

And they could groom him in AAA until his control date in May. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

I think Kieboom will be fine at 3B now that it appears to be his everyday spot. Aside from learning the position the uncertainty of where he will be playing is one less thing to worry about and he has Ryan Zimmerman there as a mentor. 

And they could groom him in AAA until his control date in May. 

That's a good point on Zimmerman, great mentor to have there.  Cabrera also gets high marks, from ex-teammates, for his leadership too, and also having Kendrick.  He is well positioned to learn from some really great leaders.

• Like 1