DerrickHenrysCleats

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

21 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Fantasy aside, I was happy to see him somewhat redeem himself with that big catch to setup the winning FG after his awful goalline fumble the drive before. Watching his emotions swing from depressed-towel-over-head to tears of joy was awesome.  

I’m also wondering if Gore was a little banged up after that corner goalline run, and that’s why Gase went right back to Drake after the costly turnover.

this - I was happy for the kid to see his team pick him up after fumbling and he made the play getting them into FG range.

Drake should have scored but Brock had a terrible hand off plus the guy completely whiffed on his block.  If they didnt run with Gore from the FB position on 2nd down Drake would have easily scored that play just figured they have a rushed 3rd down play that he never really secures the hand off.  

Feels like goalline carries will no longer come to Drake unless they are on 3rd down, he seems pretty safe bet for around 10 fantasy points and he can have decent upside if he breaks a long one.  Very disappointing but there's an entire 2nd half of the season and at least the Dolphins are seemingly realizing they need Drake to be their spark of offense and he should get around 12-15 touches a game whether that comes in 6 targets and 7 carries or what.  

Edited by Zak0221

22 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Fantasy aside, I was happy to see him somewhat redeem himself with that big catch to setup the winning FG after his awful goalline fumble the drive before. Watching his emotions swing from depressed-towel-over-head to tears of joy was awesome.  

I’m also wondering if Gore was a little banged up after that corner goalline run, and that’s why Gase went right back to Drake after the costly turnover.

As a Dolphins fan, I concur. It was awesome to see him redeem himself, and even awesomer that Gase & Co. gave him the chance to do so. Might be something to build off moving forward? Still really like his upside. 

9 minutes ago, The G Man said:

As a Dolphins fan, I concur. It was awesome to see him redeem himself, and even awesomer that Gase & Co. gave him the chance to do so. Might be something to build off moving forward? Still really like his upside. 

There should be plenty of gamescripts that are positive for Drake in the future as hes their pass catching back + 3rd down back + spells Gore who seems to get gassed often. 

The Dolphins while they love riding Gore, know they need Drake's big play ability and if we keep getting around 15 touches a game thats fine with me even if he has to break long ones to score. This offense really has no one on the outside so there should be production for Drake coming out of the backfield plenty of games. 

Edited by Zak0221

Definitely encouraging. His usage is increasing. Yesterday: 13 carries, 57 yards, 6 targets, 4 catches 21 yards. Arrow up.

Don't fool yourself about Gore needing more breathers. They rode Gore hard on that OT drive. I think when Drake came in at the goal line, Gore had 4 consecutive tough runs and some other physical runs earlier in the same drive. Most starting RBs get subbed out after 2 consecutive runs, the elite ones maybe after their 3rd consecutive run. At least for a play or two.

Drake is still useful in PPR. But Gore has been underestimated, just like he's every year. Of course he's not as explosive because he's 10 years older than most starting RBs, but he gets his job done without mistakes. The Inconvenient Truth. Yesterday I heard some pundit about the Fins offering Gore a contract extension to keep him from retiring.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Don't fool yourself about Gore needing more breathers. They rode Gore hard on that OT drive. I think when Drake came in at the goal line, Gore had 4 consecutive tough runs and some other physical runs earlier in the same drive. Most starting RBs get subbed out after 2 consecutive runs, the elite ones maybe after their 3rd consecutive run. At least for a play or two.

Drake is still useful in PPR. But Gore has been underestimated, just like he's every year. Of course he's not as explosive because he's 10 years older than most starting RBs, but he gets his job done without mistakes. The Inconvenient Truth. Yesterday I heard some pundit about the Fins offering Gore a contract extension to keep him from retiring.

Getting the job done without mistakes is a valuable asset no doubt..........in a backup.    

Your starter needs the touches in a meaningful way to gain confidence and rythym.   Some freedom to take chances and break explosive plays doesn’t hurt either.   You’re wasting your best weapon in the name of safety. 

40 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Getting the job done without mistakes is a valuable asset no doubt..........in a backup.    

Your starter needs the touches in a meaningful way to gain confidence and rythym.   Some freedom to take chances and break explosive plays doesn’t hurt either.   You’re wasting your best weapon in the name of safety. 

In the name of safety, Gore wouldn't have fumbled the ball at the goal line. They just got lucky to still get the win. Good for Drake that he was immediately on the field again after the fumble. Maybe this had more to do with the clock running out and him being a better/quicker receiver than Gore at his age, but great sign of trust nonetheless.

Still, Gore won't go away, putting a cap on both Drake's floor and ceiling. Like it or not.

Edited by frog34

Drake is still a very important part of the Dolphins backfield. I consider him a great flex next week versus the Lions in PPR formats. 

16 minutes ago, frog34 said:

In the name of safety, Gore wouldn't have fumbled the ball at the goal line. They just got lucky to still get the win. Good for Drake that he was immediately on the field again after the fumble. Maybe this had more to do with the clock running out and him being a better/quicker receiver than Gore at his age, but great sign of trust nonetheless.

Still, Gore won't go away, putting a cap on both Drake's floor and ceiling. Like it or not.

Drake doesn’t have a fumbing problem that I recall, but yes...with Gase you have to be very aware of his doghouse.   Frankly I’d take consistent double digit touches from Drake at this point.   This week was a good sign for sure 

1 hour ago, jtbgator said:

Definitely encouraging. His usage is increasing. Yesterday: 13 carries, 57 yards, 6 targets, 4 catches 21 yards. Arrow up.

would agree, if he didn't fumble at the goal line.  guess it was encouraging he was still in there for the game winning drive too, but damn would have been nice if he held onto the ball

anyone watch the game, was gore hurt and unavailble at the end of that game? 

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

would agree, if he didn't fumble at the goal line.  guess it was encouraging he was still in there for the game winning drive too, but damn would have been nice if he held onto the ball

he looked slow to get up on the stretch play but probably just exhausted 

4 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Gore was completely gassed after his 30 yard run and he shouldnt have had the carries after that on the 1 yard line because he literally couldnt breathe 

I feel Drake won't get any goalline chances unless they are on 3rd down but if he can consistently get 12-16 touches a week with passes and carries that can be decent RB3 with RB2 upside if he breaks one.  The Phins arnt gonna give Gore 20+ touches so there's still plenty of run here for Drake and hopefully he continues to impress with the ball in his hands. 

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

Gore was completely gassed after his 30 yard run and he shouldnt have had the carries after that on the 1 yard line because he literally couldnt breathe 

I feel Drake won't get any goalline chances unless they are on 3rd down but if he can consistently get 12-16 touches a week with passes and carries that can be decent RB3 with RB2 upside if he breaks one.  The Phins arnt gonna give Gore 20+ touches so there's still plenty of run here for Drake and hopefully he continues to impress with the ball in his hands. 

i agree, that's why i've kept him through 6 weeks, i just wish he didn't fumble.  it's 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards with this guy.  just when you think there is light at the end of the tunnel the tunnel gets extended

14 minutes ago, Panthor said:

i agree, that's why i've kept him through 6 weeks, i just wish he didn't fumble.  it's 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards with this guy.  just when you think there is light at the end of the tunnel the tunnel gets extended

Fumble was so frustrating because he was _ close to being the hero and then instantly turned into the goat.  Its a shame really, the handoff exchange on his fumble play was a disaster, Brock barely gets the snap off and its very rushed semi bobbled.  Had it just been a normal line up and run play with a clean exchange no doubt he just jumps into the end zone to win the game but he never really had control of it.  Wish they just let Gore get a breather and they ran Drake on 2nd down was a much cleaner play. 

Edited by Zak0221

23 minutes ago, Panthor said:

He was winded or he would've executed on the goal line plunge because Gore doesn't fumble ever especially with the game on the line.

Just sayin'

On his 4 solid games in 0.5 PPR, he's averaging about 13 PPG which is mid to low-end RB2. Not bad all things considered. Still room for growth. Again, after those two dud games, I believe we've seen the worst is behind us. That fumble at the goal-line is not a good look though and certainly the coaching staff could remember stuff like that.

I'd start him next week though. They'll run a lot if they want a chance to beat the lions. 

Drake has been on the shorter end of the rushing split for four weeks running, but he is still making his headway in the passing game, receiving 17.4 percent of the team targets, which makes him a better weekly option when playing this backfield. Detroit is 31st in rushing yardage allowed to backfields, but also 21st in receiving points allowed per game (12.9).

Week 7 Start 'Em or Sit 'Em

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Kenyan Drake vs. Lions: Drake has found himself on the other side of the fence in this column each of the past two weeks, but I’m starting to buy back in a bit with Drake getting touch counts of 13 and 17 the last two games against the Bengals and Bears. He was almost the goat for the Dolphins last week against Chicago, losing a fumble at the goal line in overtime, but the defense bailed him out and K Jason Sanders was able to nail the winning field goal the next series. He’ll look to build off the season-high 17 touches last week in a ripe spot against the Lions. Detroit is 28th in fantasy points allowed to running backs and 27th in run-defense DVOA. The Lions are surrendering nearly six yards per carry at 5.98 and give up over five catches per game to the position. Frank Gore is still out-carrying Drake on a weekly basis, but with Brock Osweiler at quarterback again I would expect coach Adam Gase to lean more on his running backs. I’m also expecting the Lions to go into Miami and win this one outright despite being three-point ‘dogs. If the Dolphins fall behind and need to chase points, Drake is their preferred backfield weapon. Either way, this should be close enough where Osweiler won’t have to stand back there and uncork balls downfield all day. The path to success against the Detroit defense is via the running backs.

Release the Drake!

Chris Perkins‏ @chrisperk
FollowFollow @chrisperk
DE Jonathan Woodard (concussion), RB Frank Gore (rest) & DE Charles Harris (calf) not yet spotted at practice today

John Paulsen‏ @4for4_John 27m27 minutes ago

John Paulsen Retweeted Chris Perkins

Chris didn't call it a knee for Gore. He was limping late in the Dolphins' first overtime drive and didn't touch the ball on the team's game-winning OT drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtbgator said:

Release the Drake!

Chris Perkins‏ @chrisperk
FollowFollow @chrisperk
DE Jonathan Woodard (concussion), RB Frank Gore (rest) & DE Charles Harris (calf) not yet spotted at practice today

John Paulsen‏ @4for4_John 27m27 minutes ago

John Paulsen Retweeted Chris Perkins

Chris didn't call it a knee for Gore. He was limping late in the Dolphins' first overtime drive and didn't touch the ball on the team's game-winning OT drive.

never one to wish an injury on a player but if Gore sits this week it is a huge help to my lineup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gore aint sitting. 

Im torn about Drake this week, I feel he won't get the GL touches anymore but he is def the preferred catchup/pass catcher and Brock can't throw downfield.