Dirtywater97

SP Eligible Relievers 2018

I thought it would be great to get a thread for SP eligible relievers and put a database together. They can give you a serious advantage in daily leagues.

I'll get the list started:

Brad Peacock.

Josh Hader - MIL

Joe Biagini - TOR

Chad Green - NYY

All are on roster resource as relievers, however, the jays keep trying biagini out as an sp so I have my doubts on him and the yankees have said Green will be stretched out I believe.

2 hours ago, alisgodnow said:

Josh Hader - MIL

Joe Biagini - TOR

Chad Green - NYY

All are on roster resource as relievers, however, the jays keep trying biagini out as an sp so I have my doubts on him and the yankees have said Green will be stretched out I believe.

Hader started 0 games last year with 35 appearances out of the pen, Green 1 and 40. Neither of them will be SP eligible unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Hader started 0 games last year with 35 appearances out of the pen, Green 1 and 40. Neither of them will be SP eligible unfortunately.

You're right.  I was looking at Fantrax and for some reason Hader and Green still have SP eligibility 

2 hours ago, alisgodnow said:

Not sure when Alex Reyes is due back but I could see him starting in the bullpen

St Louis already officially announced he will begin in the bullpen because they want to be cautious and bring him back slowly.  Probably won't start until June at the earliest but more likely July is my guess though injuries to other starters could cause the Cards to have to throw him in earlier. 

Sorry don't mean to hijack a thread. But might be easier to find it in one area but what about good RP's with SP eligibility. Like Rafael Yglesias last year and maybe Archie Bradley this year?

Cheers,

Bradley didn't start a game last year, he should only carry RP eligibility this year.  Having said that, Price will carry both RP/SP eligibility this year.  Tyler Chatwood and Joe Musgrove are two others that come to mind.

As for the OP, aside from Peacock it will be interesting to see how that rotation shakes out... McHugh specifically.  Jeff Hoffman is another interesting SP that could shift to a RP role in 2018.  Mike Clevinger is also intriguing, will be watching how the Indians rotation shakes out, he could be a guy that starts off out of the pen.

• Like 1

I emailed fantrax because I was curious why green and Hader still had SP eligiblity. Apparently their default positions are obtained from a 3rd party site that makes corrections in December. So Green and Hader will be SP eligible in fantrax this year because they’re currently listed as such. 

21 hours ago, alisgodnow said:

You're right.  I was looking at Fantrax and for some reason Hader and Green still have SP eligibility 

Yeah, so I’m doing the same. Shouldn’t anyone listed as SP/RP on fantrax retain that status this year? We’re drafting and I would think a player’s listed status for 2018 would be correct by now, right?

*Temporary thread hi-jack*

The responses above are centered around known converted starters, as expected. I really hope this forum can help expose some converted starters during camps. I've sent some twitter questions to a few beat writers to see if clubs have any advanced plans on who might be some converted MiLB/MLB SPs, but have received little traction.

As is all the rage in this era of relatively fewer stud SPs and more & more stud Mid-RPs, I'm on the prowl for the next Alex Colome or Josh Hader or Chad Green.

^ In a reply to my quote above haha

Last year the SF Giants converted 24yo failed 1st round SP Kyle Crick to an RP with so-so success. Certainly was no 2017 Chad Green/Josh Hader or 2016-17 Chris Devenski or 2015-17 Alex Colome.

Use pattern matching analysis, I half expect them to do the same this year with 26yo MiLB SP Joan Gregorio. His relatively high K-rate but middling AA-AAA results and durability concerns (along with a limited 2-pitch mix per scouting reports), suggest to me a switch to the bullpen could be in the offing.

One intriguing name I've found in my initial bullpen searches before Y! has opened, if you're out there searching for 2016 David Phelps:

Nathan Eovaldi, Tampa

(his limited 2-pitch repetoire always screamed possible elite max effort RP to me, for some reason)

https://www.mlb.com/rays/news/alex-colome-headlines-strong-rays-2018-bullpen/c-264449244

• Like 1

Another one I like is Randall Delgado in AZ. Kind of like Brad Peacock. Could be a nice starter with an injury to someone in the rotation as well.

14 hours ago, DaNamesBond22 said:

This is something to watch out for. Peacock seems like the best option right now. He may be in the bullpen this year.

I wonder if he'll be a good option in holds leagues? Of course depending on whether he's used in those situations or a middle reliever who can go multiple innings. Maybe a few wins and a handful of holds?

24 minutes ago, Tale of Two Fisters said:

I wonder if he'll be a good option in holds leagues? Of course depending on whether he's used in those situations or a middle reliever who can go multiple innings. Maybe a few wins and a handful of holds?

I'm hoping for a Devenski like situation / usage. He was absolutely money for me last year in my league with a starts limit. Parked him in a SP spot with all my other relievers going and banked all the extra Ks and Holds and most weeks he helped with WHIP and ERA too.

Another couple of SP/RP maybes to watch in Spring Training

Does the Vargas signing, along with Lugo & Gsellman still around, allow the Mets to just make Rafael Montero a max-effort 96-97 mph/ 2 IP guy bumping up his SwSt% to 12-13% by ditching the changeup?

What do the Rays do with Jose de Leon? Is he built to be an Archer or do the Rays use him like a Michael Feliz?

Don't know why but Tyler Thornburg is listed as a SP/RP in Yahoo. If he comes back healthy he could be a great middle relief holds guy.

The bigger question is what SP eligible relievers could stumble into saves this year a la Bud Norris last year.

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

The bigger question is what SP eligible relievers could stumble into saves this year a la Bud Norris last year.

IMO, that "bigger question" is so 2016. In 2018, I'm looking for Chad Greens & Josh Haders & David Phelps that I can put in one or both of my SP slots (on days an SP isn't going) and add up to an elite SP aggregate with some Holds added in. Finding the next Iglesias or Norris is cool too, I admit.

11 hours ago, bbythepier said:

IMO, that "bigger question" is so 2016. In 2018, I'm looking for Chad Greens & Josh Haders & David Phelps that I can put in one or both of my SP slots (on days an SP isn't going) and add up to an elite SP aggregate with some Holds added in. Finding the next Iglesias or Norris is cool too, I admit.

Yeah, it's probably a more league-specific question for me. We play 6 SPs and 1 RP, so if someone with SP eligibility backs their way into saves it's crazy valuable. Because of how thin starters become I did end up using Chris Devenski last season, so I definitely see the value in shutdown middle relievers.