Dirtywater97

SP Eligible Relievers 2018

Super under the radar add. Jaime Schultz with Tampa Bay. Converted starter in TBs minor league system put up 11K/9+ in 2016 as a starter. He struggled with walks however with 4.68BB/9 still managed a 3.07 xFIP. He dealt with injuries last year but when he pitched out of the bullpen for 13IP in AAA he put up 16K/9 3.09BB/9 and 1.97 xFIP. Almost a lock to make the team leaving camp as a reliever. Colome is probably going at the deadline. There is a way outside chance he could close by year end. Eligible in Fantrax as a SP.

Probably someone I would monitor for sure.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 3

Weak weak SP/RP class so far in my early spring studies. Keep looking, pretty please.

(guys with SV & HLD & Vulture W potential please?)

• Like 1

yea price and clevinger are the only ones in yahoo. maybe peacook can hold some value with dallas, cole, morton, mccullers inj history. he could carve out a decent 135-150 inn

49 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

yea price and clevinger are the only ones in yahoo. maybe peacook can hold some value with dallas, cole, morton, mccullers inj history. he could carve out a decent 135-150 inn

I could be wrong, but i think there is a complimentary thread to this one for Starters who have RP elig for guys like Price & Cleavinger.

But early dibs on this year's Chad Green or Iglesias or Hader is weeeeaaaak. The guy a half dozen posts above who named TB - Jaime Schultz might be the early leader once chalk Peacock is removed.

Daniel Norris could wind up being a sneaky addition to this list if he fails to secure a starting spot in the Tigers rotation this spring--especially considering that he owns a pretty stellar 2.39 career ERA during his first time through the order (as opposed to an unsightly 5.77 ERA between his 2nd and 3rd times around).
 ‎
Plus, he's been sporting an 80-grade, Archie Bradley-esque beard of late, so you just know this is something the baseball gods are going to want to get behind.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

Daniel Norris could wind up being a sneaky addition to this list if he fails to secure a starting spot in the Tigers rotation this spring--especially considering that he owns a pretty stellar 2.39 career ERA during his first time through the order (as opposed to an unsightly 5.77 ERA between his 2nd and 3rd times around).
 ‎
Plus, he's been sporting an 80-grade, Archie Bradley-esque beard of late, so you just know this is something the baseball gods are going to want to get behind.

Tigers have nothing to play for. They have nothing to gain by pulling the plug on Norris as a SP. He had a 3.38 ERA as a 23 year old just a year ago. It would be a very short-sighted move. 

17 hours ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

I've owned Norris for a few years now in a deep dynasty and he usually grows a killer beard over the offseason whIle he's traveling around in his VW bus and then goes babyfaced for the start of the season. Maybe that's been his problem and he'll finally reach his potential if he keeps the beard.

• Like 1

Just a name to keep in mind for summer: Freddy Peralta - Milwaukee. He's got his 3 scoreless in spring, so Counsell has seen him. Coach also gave some quotes hinting he could come up via the Hader route. High K & Bb MiLB rates like Hader, albeit more thru deception than stuff.

On 2/28/2018 at 7:58 AM, bbythepier said:

Weak weak SP/RP class so far in my early spring studies. Keep looking, pretty please.

(guys with SV & HLD & Vulture W potential please?)

In fairness, we don't know which career starters with low 90's FBs gain FB velo the move and have everything play up.  Nor do know all the guys with sutff are BP bound, nor do we know who will rise up the back end of BP ladder quick. This stuff is always very fluid.

I'm pretty sure if we do this early every year it'll look weak. There are plenty of guys out there with stuff that may or may not make the BP.

Though a good idea is look for guys with no options left that have been starters. This is exactly why Peacock was put in the BP last year, they had to keep him but no room in rotation. They probably would have kept him in AAA as a depth SP if he still had options.

• Like 1

Just FYI the Rays are apparently thinking of keeping 4 SP rotation all year which would open up a number of their guys to this. Interesting to watch. 

32 minutes ago, dfree861 said:

Just FYI the Rays are apparently thinking of keeping 4 SP rotation all year which would open up a number of their guys to this. Interesting to watch. 

Yep, very "interesting". We all know Snell & Archer are going 7 or 8ip each start so bullpen should remain fresh for that 5th start. ?

He comes with a full compliment of red flags but Tim Linececum should be in the TEX 'pen this year. Due to later start, and death of brother, he may start year off 25 man but will be late inning before too long.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 8:48 AM, kidtwentytwo said:

Danny Salazar

:blink:

I'm hoping to draft Salazar and Clev. They both might be ok starters but in my format, whichever winds up in the pen will be a monster.  

I won't hold the fact that Clevinger is marrying his twin sister against him. 

Mike-Clevinger-girlfriend-Monica-Ceraolo

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2018 at 10:31 AM, dfree861 said:

The most interesting baseball article of the morning imo is Archer speaking very openly about the Rays 4-man rotation.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/chris-archer-has-some-questions-about-the-future-of-pitching/

If you are like me, looking to piece together two or three 70ip SP/RPs instead of drafting Thor, one guy to watch early in the Tampa pen is Banda. He had 4 starts and 4 relief app last year for the DBacks, so his final velocity & SwSt% is co-mingled on Fangraphs. (He was roughed up as a SP, much better as a RP.) I think he has a good chance for his stuff to play up in max effort 2-3ip appearances.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bbythepier said:

The most interesting baseball article of the morning imo is Archer speaking very openly about the Rays 4-man rotation.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/chris-archer-has-some-questions-about-the-future-of-pitching/

If you are like me, looking to piece together two or three 70ip SP/RPs instead of drafting Thor, one guy to watch early in the Tampa pen is Banda. He had 4 starts and 4 relief app last year for the DBacks, so his final velocity & SwSt% is co-mingled on Fangraphs. (He was roughed up as a SP, much better as a RP.) I think he has a good chance for his stuff to play up in max effort 2-3ip appearances.

To your point:

As SP:

19.2 IP

19 K
23 H

8 BB

7.32 ERA

.291 AVG

.531 SLG

As RP:

6.0 IP

3 H

6 K

2 BB

1.50 ERA

.130 AVG

.130 SLG

Edited by hailtoyourvictor

7 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

To your point:

As SP:

19.2 IP

19 K
23 H

8 BB

7.32 ERA

.291 AVG

.531 SLG

As RP:

6.0 IP

3 H

6 K

2 BB

1.50 ERA

.130 AVG

.130 SLG

He is only RP eligible in ESPN. Jeez their Elig is really stringent!!

I’ve always loved playing RP’s in every slot possible. 

Are there any yahoo RP’s, preferably closers (We don’t play holds) who have the  SP tag? I want to play relievers in my SP slots. 

Thanks!

A search on their site would answer this question very easily but to respond to your question the answer is no. The only ones who look like they could provide value at this point are Brad Peacock and Tyler Thornburg.

Mike Montgomery and Alex Reyes are the top 2 I can come up with. We have very liberal eligibility requirements as well. 5 starts in the previous year. Lincecum also but I doubt I have the stones to run him out there. 

These SP relievers don't really emerge until a few weeks into the season at the earliest. Who actually had Devenski, Chad Green, Hader, etc. on their roster before the season started? Be patient and watch what bullpen patterns emerge and be ready to pounce. 

• Like 1

Devo was definitely being drafted in leagues that were cognizant of this strategy, I can assure you.  Not so much the other two, though.

Yeah gotta agree here w/ @BMcP Devo was a guy I drafted to start the year. Hader was also drafted. Green however, I don't think was.

Prime targets will probably be the post hype type of pitchers that could never put it together, but have always had good stuff that plays up even more in the bullpen ala Archie Bradley. Or someone in a similar type of situation like Hader last year, prospect with elite stuff close to the show but have struggled with command/control and are on teams that are trying to win now.

Yea I agree no one has a crystal ball but wait and see is not the approach. Definitely have to be vigilant. 

"He who hesitates masterbates" - Cable Guy

• Haha 2