Dirtywater97

SP Eligible Relievers 2018

Just now, Dirtywater97 said:

Gsellman - good lord. He's the real deal folks.

That was a quick 3 Ks. The new Archie

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Glasnow in  ?

Should have been an easy 123 inning, unfortunate

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 4:08 AM, MJ13 said:

Anyone liking Bud Norris? I got real high last night and decided to make room for both Norris and Hicks so I can play 6 RPs in a holds league on my days without SPs going. Good or idea, or nah?

I added Norris (over Lugo and McHugh) without a lot of confidence. His k/bb ratio is impressive but I doubt it ends well. I think for now he might be a decent source of holds and next in line for saves.  In a month's time who knows? Maybe pitching for the Cards will help him keep it going. 

Edited by knuckleheads

I'm still not willing to write Norris off yet. Got singled out yesterday and had a double steal pulled on him to get 2 runners in scoring position. 

SMALL SAMPLE SIZE WARNING

1.63FIP, 2.31xFIP 47%GB rate,

54% LOB, .444 BABIP,  14.2% swstr (only generated 4% last time out though, 20%+ previous time before that)

90mph very concerning though. Watch list material.

• Like 1

How many of these guys you trying to fit on your team? Still deciding if 2 or 3 is the sweet spot.

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 11:59 PM, HumanRainDelay 18 said:

Why does ESPN have Amir Garrett listed as RP only eligible?  Shouldn't he also have SP?  

He could be nice in this format. 

He's been great thus far with no earned runs and an impressive k to bb ratio.  Will certainly get some holds opportunities should he keep it going...

I'm going with 2 of these guys bc and I know this is a stretch. 2 of these guys is almost equal to 1 top 10-20 SP. The ratios and K's might even be higher. With some luck they will 'steal' a win or 2 a week and in some cases a possible save and or hold.... 

Hicks is my favorite right now.

Trying to decide between Gsellman, Garret, Lugo, and Glasnow. 

4 hours ago, bliner13 said:

I'm going with 2 of these guys bc and I know this is a stretch. 2 of these guys is almost equal to 1 top 10-20 SP. The ratios and K's might even be higher. With some luck they will 'steal' a win or 2 a week and in some cases a possible save and or hold.... 

I'd take Gsellman ahead of the other three for sure.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bliner13 said:

Love Hicks too but man does the K/BB rate look ugly so far. Hoping some of that is just being a young kid with insane velocity that he is still learning to control. 

Gsellman has been nothing short of a revelation this season. 

Finding guys who fit in this threads qualifications has been fun for me the past few seasons while people over pay for closers. Except one commish thought he would be cute and add IRA as a category this year to punish me for dominating in S+H on the cheap. 

7 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Anyone think Harvey might be someone to keep an eye on as an SP eligible SP relegated to RP?

Nope

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BullLoney said:

Nope

35 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Anyone think Harvey might be someone to keep an eye on as an SP eligible SP relegated to RP?

Yes...

Edited by knuckleheads

A couple of very interesting possibilities for those that use sp as relievers:

1) Matt Strahm will be finished his rehab assignment on Wednesday and will be used in relief when he gets to the majors. He's been excellent at Double A (2.19 ERA, 20 ks/3 walks in 12.1 innings overall, and even more dominating in relief where he hasn't allowed a run).

2) Tyler Thornburg just started his Triple A assignment as well as possible by striking out the side. Reports are he was throwing a nasty curve and up to 95 mph.

I can see both these guys moving into holds situations once promoted. Thornburg especially as he was signed to be the 8th inning guy in Boston. 

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 3

On 4/21/2018 at 7:35 AM, ktierne3 said:

Colin McCugh has been doing well in the pen

He's been ridiculous.  And the eye test matches the stats.

9 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

1) Matt Strahm will be finished his rehab assignment on Wednesday and will be used in relief when he gets to the majors. He's been excellent at Double A (2.19 ERA, 20 ks/3 walks in 12.1 innings overall, and even more dominating in relief where he hasn't allowed a run).

Just for reference, here are Strahm's career splits SP/RP (small sample size warning):
SP: 11.2 IP, 7.71 ERA, 1.54 WHIP, .320 BAA, 8.5 K/9

RP: 45 IP, 2.80 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, .178 BAA, 11.2 K/9

One item I notice here is significant: while starting, he walked few (2 BB in 11.2 IP). While relieving he walked a god-awful amount (31 BB in 45 IP!!!).  Yikes.  The stuff is there but I'd hold off until his control is demonstrated.  It's not like he'll be flying off the WW anyway.

10 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

2) Tyler Thornburg just started his Triple A assignment as well as possible by striking out the side. Reports are he was throwing a nasty curve and up to 95 mph.

I can see both these guys moving into holds situations once promoted. Thornburg especially as he was signed to be the 8th inning guy in Boston. 

I stashed Thornburg a week ago, so I must second the recommendation.

9 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Just for reference, here are Strahm's career splits SP/RP (small sample size warning):
SP: 11.2 IP, 7.71 ERA, 1.54 WHIP, .320 BAA, 8.5 K/9

RP: 45 IP, 2.80 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, .178 BAA, 11.2 K/9

One item I notice here is significant: while starting, he walked few (2 BB in 11.2 IP). While relieving he walked a god-awful amount (31 BB in 45 IP!!!).  Yikes.  The stuff is there but I'd hold off until his control is demonstrated.  It's not like he'll be flying off the WW anyway.

Strahm seemed to all of a sudden lose it at the start of last year and had to be sent down to the minors to find his stuff so I think the numbers are going to be skewed.  He had been very impressive out of the bullpen the year before, has great stuff and is pitching in a nice home park so I am pretty high on him to be very useful.

But yes you do not have to run to pick him up (or most of these types of players) and wait and see a bit.

Gsellman has been shaky lately. Hope it is just dead arm period. Not picking up the ks like he was earlier.

2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Gsellman has been shaky lately. Hope it is just dead arm period. Not picking up the ks like he was earlier.

Been terrible the last 4-5 outings.  Holding in my deeper leagues but thinking of cutting bait in shallower leagues.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:54 PM, knuckleheads said:

Also I just noticed (and added) lefty Will Smith from the Giants who hasn't started a game in 5 years (similar to Thornburg) but has dual eligibility in Yahoo.   He struck out two and walked one with no runs vs the Padres yesterday.   Minor league stats are solid (7.1 innings, 6 hits, no walks, 11 Ks) and this is a guy who got a ton of holds back in his Brewer days.  Given the Giants bullpen issues over the years this guy could be a find...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Also I just noticed (and added) lefty Will Smith from the Giants who hasn't started a game in 5 years (similar to Thornburg) but has dual eligibility in Yahoo.   He struck out two and walked one with no runs vs the Padres yesterday.   Minor league stats are solid (7.1 innings, 6 hits, no walks, 11 Ks) and this is a guy who got a ton of holds back in his Brewer days.  Given the Giants bullpen issues over the years this guy could be a find...

This is a great call.  I did not know Smith qualified at SP in Yahoo.  I honestly think this fact vaults him into the top tier of SP qualified RPs as he is a very solid option and will see lots of 8th inning work next to Watson.