dashoe

Alshon Jeffery 2018 Outlook

Anyone concerned about Byron Jones at all? I have seen him touted as one of the better CBs in the league (#4 pff). I know Jeffrey didn't contribute much against big/physical corners like Ramsey and Rhodes earlier in the season. I have never really watched Jones play, but he is 6'1 and 200 lbs.

Hopkins did go for 9 & 151 yards vs the Cowboys this year fwiw.

38 minutes ago, King Gonzo said:

Anyone concerned about Byron Jones at all? I have seen him touted as one of the better CBs in the league (#4 pff). I know Jeffrey didn't contribute much against big/physical corners like Ramsey and Rhodes earlier in the season. I have never really watched Jones play, but he is 6'1 and 200 lbs.

Yeah it isn't a favorable matchup especially since the Dallas offense likely won't put a ton of pressure on the Eagles to put up a ton of points and stay aggressive trying to make plays down the field. However, Corey Davis was able to turn in a pretty solid line last week against Cowboys (should've had a TD but Mariota missed him when he was wide open) so I'm not too worried and still rate Jeffrey as a mid rangish WR2. 

3 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Yeah it isn't a favorable matchup especially since the Dallas offense likely won't put a ton of pressure on the Eagles to put up a ton of points and stay aggressive trying to make plays down the field. However, Corey Davis was able to turn in a pretty solid line last week against Cowboys (should've had a TD but Mariota missed him when he was wide open) so I'm not too worried and still rate Jeffrey as a mid rangish WR2. 

Not concerned.

Was shocked to see C. Davis constantly peppered and succeeding against that secondary. And minus, S. Lee, that defense is a different animal.

Plus, Pedersen is just more interested in throwing vs. running.

Could see PHI coming out of the bye just crushing it this week and sending DAL into a death spiral.

12 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Yea from what I saw, he wasn't really shadowed by Jones. I was watching  some of the highlights and saw at least 3 catches by Davis and Jones was not on him. Also, to be fair, Mariota really didnt throw to any WR other than Davis. Davis had 10 targets and all the other WRs combined had 7 targets. With the Eagles having other weapons like Ertz and now Tate, I do not see them force feeding Jeffrey if Jones shadows him all game. Lee is out which should open up the middle of the field where Ertz and Tate both thrive. Eagles probably up all game too.

I went back and watched the Texans game and Jones shadowed Hopkins all game. Granted Hopkins had a nice line, but probably worth noting that there is a good chance Jones will shadow Alshon.

I'll probably sit him this week. Tate is a Cowboy killer. I think Wentz will spread it around again and Tate will kill the Cowboys again. I do think Jeffery will get a TD so he's still a good choice, obviously.

I'm thinking 6 for 63 and a TD.

Tate: 7 for 95 2TDs

Dallas gets blown out like 34-17

Edited by tpat30

I think he is the alpha of this WR crew and Im starting him every week without hesitation.  There arent many WR's that you can say have a good chance at multiple TD's every single week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Funkenstein said:

I think he is the alpha of this WR crew and Im starting him every week without hesitation.  There arent many WR's that you can say have a good chance at multiple TD's every single week. 

Start your studs. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, King Gonzo said:

Jones doesn’t shadow. He is a legit shut down corner but I’m sure pederson will scheme alshon away. The rest of the secondary is bad.

Jones has played 454 out of 513 snaps as RCB. Only 1 snap as LCB. Alshon plays both pretty equally so he should be good to go vs chidobe who is not playing well.

Most underrated Fantasy WR right now. I see people call him a WR3. People saying "He's not a every-week starter"

His 2 down games were Xavier Rhodes and Jalen Ramsey shadow games. The other 3 games? 20+ points.

With the addition of Tate, the blow-up potential for Alshon is thru the roof.  He's a threat to score 2 TDs every week. Tate makes Jeffrey a BETTER fantasy WR. The Eagles are a passing offense, adding a true WR threat over the middle like Tate, will just give Alshon more space and more opportunities to make big plays.

High-end WR1 ROS. 

• Like 1

Here we go again with the favorable matchup crap. Play your studs dumb dumbs. If you don’t believe in him, trade him. This has been the theme of 2018. OMG, he didn’t score 50 points last week or he isn’t facing ATL this week!! Should I bench him for Jordy Nelson who faces TB?!?! When does it end?!?! Stop it!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FF4life said:

Most underrated Fantasy WR right now. I see people call him a WR3. People saying "He's not a every-week starter"

His 2 down games were Xavier Rhodes and Jalen Ramsey shadow games. The other 3 games? 20+ points.

With the addition of Tate, the blow-up potential for Alshon is thru the roof.  He's a threat to score 2 TDs every week. Tate makes Jeffrey a BETTER fantasy WR. The Eagles are a passing offense, adding a true WR threat over the middle like Tate, will just give Alshon more space and more opportunities to make big plays.

High-end WR1 ROS. 

I don't know about "high-end WR1"...in my mind a high-end WR1 is someone like AB or Nuk. That said, I think WR3 is ridiculous and Alshon should be a starter for any team that's not totally stacked at WR. I agree that Tate should help rather than hurt Alshon. He's like a GL RB -- anytthing that helps the offense get more RZ possessions helps Alshon. 

19 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Here we go again with the favorable matchup crap. Play your studs dumb dumbs. If you don’t believe in him, trade him. This has been the theme of 2018. OMG, he didn’t score 50 points last week or he isn’t facing ATL this week!! Should I bench him for Jordy Nelson who faces TB?!?! When does it end?!?! Stop it!!!!!!

Huh? What are you on about? Jeffrey has played 5 games this year and two of those games were vs good, big, and physical CBs that shadowed him. He crapped the bed both times (as far as fantasy production). This week he plays against an opponent who has a big physical CB who is the #4 ranked CB according to PFF. How is it not worth discussing his matchup on a fantasy football DISCUSSION board in his own thread? No one is talking about benching him for players like Jordy Nelson; you literally just came up with the most extreme example to support your opinion.

Jeffrey was probably drafted as WR3 value for a lot of people (due to his injury coming into the season), so it is entirely possible there are teams with two really good WRs, Jeffrey, and the likes of Edelman/Kupp/Boyd/Woods or other players they drafted after Jeffrey/picked up on waivers. The discussion of Jones potentially shadowing Jeffrey and locking him up is completely reasonable.

20 hours ago, ellie826 said:

Jones has played 454 out of 513 snaps as RCB. Only 1 snap as LCB. Alshon plays both pretty equally so he should be good to go vs chidobe who is not playing well.

Now this is some actual useful information. I wasn't really sure if Jones shadowed top WRs so the fact that he pretty much only plays RCB, and Jeffrey moves all around the field makes it a much easier matchup. Thanks for the snaps data.

Regardless, I am firing up Alshon this week in both leagues I own him, so hopefully I can come back here on Monday after a 3 TD eruption to see @Fantasy Gooroo tell me what a dumb dumb I am for even considering my other options and that Alshon is a matchup proof WR1 ROS B).

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, King Gonzo said:

Huh? What are you on about? Jeffrey has played 5 games this year and two of those games were vs good, big, and physical CBs that shadowed him. He crapped the bed both times (as far as fantasy production). This week he plays against an opponent who has a big physical CB who is the #4 ranked CB according to PFF. How is it not worth discussing his matchup on a fantasy football DISCUSSION board in his own thread? No one is talking about benching him for players like Jordy Nelson; you literally just came up with the most extreme example to support your opinion.

Jeffrey was probably drafted as WR3 value for a lot of people (due to his injury coming into the season), so it is entirely possible there are teams with two really good WRs, Jeffrey, and the likes of Edelman/Kupp/Boyd/Woods or other players they drafted after Jeffrey/picked up on waivers. The discussion of Jones potentially shadowing Jeffrey and locking him up is completely reasonable.

Now this is some actual useful information. I wasn't really sure if Jones shadowed top WRs so the fact that he pretty much only plays RCB, and Jeffrey moves all around the field makes it a much easier matchup. Thanks for the snaps data.

Regardless, I am firing up Alshon this week in both leagues I own him, so hopefully I can come back here on Monday after a 3 TD eruption to see @Fantasy Gooroo tell me what a dumb dumb I am for even considering my other options and that Alshon is a matchup proof WR1 ROS B).

First, I'm going to send you a smiley icon point for using "dumb dumb". Classic! Second, players are going to face tough matchups. I get it. Unless you are working with a Diamond Quality Restaurant Buffet at WR, you set and forget a guy like Alshon. He is the WR1 on a team with average defense and no run game to speak of. If you are considering benching this guy for a middling WR with a decent matchup, you deserve what you get. Now, I always preface my statements with "if you believe in him". Alshon Jeffery is a top tier talent with mitts stronger than steel. With the addition of Tate to draw attention over the middle, there should be no reason to bench Alshon. Analyzing the wind,  turf,  stadium menu, biorythms, and  zodiac signs of players week after week is a fool's errand for players of Alshon's caliber. You always play your studs. Don't think. Just do. Getting cute costs points.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

First, I'm going to send you a smiley icon point for using "dumb dumb". Classic! Second, players are going to face tough matchups. I get it. Unless you are working with a Diamond Quality Restaurant Buffet at WR, you set and forget a guy like Alshon. He is the WR1 on a team with average defense and no run game to speak of. If you are considering benching this guy for a middling WR with a decent matchup, you deserve what you get. Now, I always preface my statements with "if you believe in him". Alshon Jeffery is a top tier talent with mitts stronger than steel. With the addition of Tate to draw attention over the middle, there should be no reason to bench Alshon. Analyzing the wind,  turf,  stadium menu, biorythms, and  zodiac signs of players week after week is a fool's errand for players of Alshon's caliber. You always play your studs. Don't think. Just do. Getting cute costs points.

That is fair. I guess if you just view Alshon as a top tier stud, it makes sense to just leave him in there to make sure you dont miss the big games and accept the fact that you might get a dud or two over the course of the year. Best know if Jones does lock him up, I will be back here in two weeks when they play again quoting Jones' numbers left and right :P.

Although for all Jeffrey owners' sake, he won't have any problems putting up a solid line.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 1:17 PM, King Gonzo said:

That is fair. I guess if you just view Alshon as a top tier stud, it makes sense to just leave him in there to make sure you dont miss the big games and accept the fact that you might get a dud or two over the course of the year. Best know if Jones does lock him up, I will be back here in two weeks when they play again quoting Jones' numbers left and right :P.

Although for all Jeffrey owners' sake, he won't have any problems putting up a solid line.

First one back to own it. A little disappointed with Alshon's production tonight. Couple of balls within inches of being completions. But no excuses. Not a good game by any stretch. Still a set and go for me though. 

Disappointing especially with Tate playing a minimal role (although he'll likely affect Ertz the most) but he did still get 8 targets despite a tough matchup which is promising. Still view him as a mid range WR2 going forward.

What kind of stat line are we predicting for Jeffery this week? 

It's a juicy match-up vs the Saints but he has put up two underwhelming fantasy performances the past two weeks. (I'm still starting him lol)

On 11/12/2018 at 12:27 AM, Fantasy Gooroo said:

First one back to own it. A little disappointed with Alshon's production tonight. Couple of balls within inches of being completions. But no excuses. Not a good game by any stretch. Still a set and go for me though. 

Yeah I mean Jones didn't shadow him or anything and like you said he had his chances. Dropped pass then some of miscommunication between him and Wentz which led to a blown TD (most likely). I guess Lee being out just led to them feeding Ertz in middle of field.

1 hour ago, gmoneypm said:

What kind of stat line are we predicting for Jeffery this week? 

It's a juicy match-up vs the Saints but he has put up two underwhelming fantasy performances the past two weeks. (I'm still starting him lol)

Anyways, I think Jeffrey gets back on track tonight. Last week, Lee was out and they attacked it with Ertz. Silva's article mentioned the Saints give up the sixth fewest yards to TEs so in theory Jeffrey should get more work. Obviously Erz is a beast and will still be productive but probably not 16 targets lol. His article also mentioned Lattimore hasn't really shadowed since Apple trade so at least that shouldn't be an issue. This game sets up to be a shootout so I am going to go with a prediction of 7/90/1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gfycat said:

Any reason to believe this guy will come out of his slump? 

He starts to get a little shakier IMO. Eagles are going to start mailing it in with 1 more loss. I'm leaning towards giving him another week.....well Wentz another week to right the ship.