dashoe

Alshon Jeffery 2018 Outlook

A. Jeffery is a waiver wire pickup or an IR stash.

The Eagles should have a high scoring offense, so I’m interested in Agholor and Goedert.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

The Eagles should have a high scoring offense, so I’m interested in Agholor and Goedert.

In redraft leagues with no I.R. spot, Jeffery will be drafted, mark my words.  His big name will be impossible to resist in around the 6-7th rounds.

On 8/11/2018 at 4:34 PM, tonywow said:

Am I an idiot for spending $29 on him ?

On 8/11/2018 at 6:09 PM, tonywow said:

I didn't know he was banged up until reading this thread heh. I just figured with Wentz coming back Jeffery could have a really good year. Was hoping I didn't make a bad choice as he's my WR2. 

18 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

In redraft leagues with no I.R. spot, Jeffery will be drafted, mark my words.  His big name will be impossible to resist in around the 6-7th rounds.

Yes, there will always be somebody who doesn't keep up to date on injury news, etc.  People were still drafting Plaxico Burress even after he shot himself in the leg in the nightclub.

He's an easy do not draft for me.  Perennially overrated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It depends on the depth of the bench.  I can only have 4 WRs but I do have an IR spot (doesn’t work for PUP)...

There is no way Jeffery is my #4 WR if he’s missing 6 games, not when there are people like Agholor and Allison still available.  

My 4th spot is also where I stash emerging/speculative players after the season starts.  Stashing an injury prone guy like Jeffery would severely limit my flexibility to my detriment...

I’d never take Jeffery in the 6th or 7th round, he finished 2017 with 5 more points than Agholor, and he’s recovering from a significant injury.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Too big of a name, still riding the glow of his championship game dusting of the Malcolm Butler-less Patriot secondary, and possibly missing too much of the season to justify how high Jeffery will be selected.  

Jeffery did well against some top secondary's/DBs last year, so even if they had Malcom Butler (who I think is good) doesn't change much IMO.

Anyways, lots of questions with Jeffery this year.  If his ADP slips until 7 I might give him a shot an stash him in IR.  BUT even then it is a risk as he isn't practicing with the team yet.  He's a long way off.

Ian Rapaport is notoriously a terrible source and not respected in the community. Not out of the woods yet but I wouldn't be burning all your Jeffrey jerseys yet. 

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said he is "not sure" where reports about Alshon Jeffery (shoulder) beginning the season on the PUP came from.

Pederson originally said he would not comment on the report, but then he changed his mind. "You know what, I'm not going to comment on that because we're monitoring his progress, it's day-to-day, we're happy where he's at, and we'll continue to do that." Jeffery's Week 1 availability cannot be taken for granted, but it does not sound like he will spend the first six weeks on the PUP.

Source: Philly Voice
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheNephilim said:

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said he is "not sure" where reports about Alshon Jeffery (shoulder) beginning the season on the PUP came from.

Pederson originally said he would not comment on the report, but then he changed his mind. "You know what, I'm not going to comment on that because we're monitoring his progress, it's day-to-day, we're happy where he's at, and we'll continue to do that." Jeffery's Week 1 availability cannot be taken for granted, but it does not sound like he will spend the first six weeks on the PUP.
Source: Philly Voice

approved.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seanismorris said:

I really like Aghalor this year. He's come a long way. I think this is his true breakout season. 

If he goes on the PUP list that changes things but, for fantasy purposes, I wouldn't mind it coming out that he will miss a game or two to drive his price down. I like him as a strong WR2 when he plays. His numbers from last year are misleading. He and Wentz were a work in progress, which led to the low efficiency. Moreover, he was playing hurt. The Eagles didn't resign him at a high salary because they viewed him as a 60/900 type. They did it because they consider him a legit number one receiver. His touchdown efficiency likely will regress but he should catch more balls and generate more yards on a per game basis this year. 

I will not draft him as one of my first two receivers but I will definitely draft him as my third, given his upside and talent, if he is on the board. 

So, Full disclosure - as of right now I am keeping him for $25 with the option to drop him if he gets put on the PUP. 

That said, I think he is garnering a lot of hate right now that is undeserved. No one is thinking of this guy as a WR1 anymore, and how many Wr2s am I really going to choose over him week by week. He's never been an efficiency play - big boom big bust potential week to week - but I look for a TD heavy play who has 100 yard potential as my WR2. So when healthy, are other WR2 options like Cooper, Robinson, Landry (pulling from ESPN Rankings 20-24) gonna offer better outlook than Jeffrey? No

So then the question becomes how many games could he miss. I think at this point Week 1 is a stretch. But in truth, how much does he need to practice before getting out there. Sure, enough to make sure the shoulder can hold up and that he can take a hit, but this is a guy who is often injured and returns all the time from recovery. Plus, he already played thorough this injury most of all last year. Are you worried he wont have rapport with the QB? That he needs to learn the playbook? Dont think so.

If he ends up on the PUP, ya - scoop him up late late late and dont come close to paying WR2 price. But I dont think he is trending for the PUP, and I dont think it is crazy to scoop him up for a WR20-24 price...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

So, Full disclosure - as of right now I am keeping him for $25 with the option to drop him if he gets put on the PUP. 

That said, I think he is garnering a lot of hate right now that is undeserved. No one is thinking of this guy as a WR1 anymore, and how many Wr2s am I really going to choose over him week by week. He's never been an efficiency play - big boom big bust potential week to week - but I look for a TD heavy play who has 100 yard potential as my WR2. So when healthy, are other WR2 options like Cooper, Robinson, Landry (pulling from ESPN Rankings 20-24) gonna offer better outlook than Jeffrey? No

So then the question becomes how many games could he miss. I think at this point Week 1 is a stretch. But in truth, how much does he need to practice before getting out there. Sure, enough to make sure the shoulder can hold up and that he can take a hit, but this is a guy who is often injured and returns all the time from recovery. Plus, he already played thorough this injury most of all last year. Are you worried he wont have rapport with the QB? That he needs to learn the playbook? Dont think so.

If he ends up on the PUP, ya - scoop him up late late late and dont come close to paying WR2 price. But I dont think he is trending for the PUP, and I dont think it is crazy to scoop him up for a WR20-24 price...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. 

11 hours ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

Agreed.   He’s a potential steal and Isn’t looking likely to miss much time.   Thanks for the insight.   

Crazy how much he's been slipping in drafts, nabbed him in one of my draft in the 9th as my WR4, the hate is real

Sucks if you drafted him as your WR1, but I’m glad they’re not rushing him back. 

9 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Sucks if you drafted him as your WR1, but I’m glad they’re not rushing him back. 

More like a late WR3 or 4. I just need him later in the season for bye weeks and depth.

Why wouldn't you want him as a WR3?? He was pretty TD dependent, but man, that little 7 game stretch with 7 TD's was nice...I'm thinking if he slips. to 8th or 9th I will highly think about it compared to some of the other WR's around that ADP.

1 minute ago, tpat30 said:

Why wouldn't you want him as a WR3?? He was pretty TD dependent, but man, that little 7 game stretch with 7 TD's was nice...I'm thinking if he slips. to 8th or 9th I will highly think about it compared to some of the other WR's around that ADP.

Agreed. He was definitely on a roll last year TD wise. 

Only thing I hold against him from last year was the goose egg in week 16 smh. 

• Like 1

He fell to the 6th round of a 3WR keeper league 

No brainer at that spot in my opinion (my WR4, that helps)

Redraft I’d grab him around there as well, depending on my RB/WRs. If Alshon is your WR3, you’re golden

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

A DND? any chance him & Wentz make their season debut wk3? 12 ppr, when u think about snagging an alshon...who was once viewed as a wr1..OR is agholar just that better.

I am hoping this drives down his price. As others have said, I would love to get him as my WR3 and his price potentially could fall into WR4 territory. He is recovering from surgery so when he returns he should be 100% since he isn't out due to a nagging injury.

Regarding last year, he and Wentz didn't have good chemistry. Jeffrey had a 47.5% catch rate. For context, he was at 55% even with the scrub QBs Chicago had in 2016 and the previous three years he was at 57, 59, 60. That chemistry will come with time. His skills are still there. In three playoff games he had 219 yards and 3 TDs on 12 catches with a 67% catch rate as he clicked with Foles.

People cite his season long rank but he barely played in the final game as the Eagles benched starters and he had only 2 targets the previous game.

The Eagles signed him one a one year prove it deal. The Eagles, and Howie Roseman, are sharp. They would not have re-signed him--and at a WR1 salary--if they thought his skills were eroding. He is only 28.

Fantasy players overreact. This guy was the top WR on the market last year as a free agent. He was drafted as a WR1 in leagues for several years. That player is still there.

The one downside to him that I see is the Eagles like to spread the ball around so he likely won't get the type of targets typical number 1 receivers get but he is on a great team with an elite QB and remains a strong red zone weapon. I view him as a strong WR2 in fantasy with upside. The missed games will hurt but if he is your third or fourth drafted WR you should be fine for the games he is out with the WR you drafted before him.

Edited by Ace_King

Great news if you already drafted him in those 8+ rounds with PUP priced in.

well, lookie here ...

Doug Pederson said that Alshon Jeffery will be activated off of the PUP tomorrow and will be considered “day to day”

7:35 PM - 30 Aug 2018

• Like 1