Sign in to follow this  
GrapeJuice

RP Eligible Starters 2018

I saw we have the opposite (SP eligible relievers) but I'm more interested in starters that I can slide into my RP slots. Are there any decent options? 

Just to name a few to start off...

David Price

Tyler chatwood

Mike Clevenger

Joe Musgrove(pitching for pittsburgh)

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

Just to name a few to start off...

David Price

Tyler chatwood

Mike Clevenger

Joe Musgrove(pitching for pittsburgh)

Musgrove is the only one of the group eligible on CBS, unfortunately.

Just doing a quick search from yahoo's player rankings and the following names jump out:

David Price

Mike Clevenger

Tyler Chatwood

Joe Musgrove

As mentioned earlier, hard to say for sure until rotations are set.

I always wonder of the gain with this strategy. Yes, a SP with RP eligibility can help with W and K; but you lose chance on SV and HD. Besides, W and K can be obtain by rotating the SP through the SP and P spots if needed. I can see how the other way around strategy give a team advantage but not this.

So this is a serious question; not trying to mock OP. Can someone please help me understand this strategy?

3 hours ago, AF25 said:

I always wonder of the gain with this strategy. Yes, a SP with RP eligibility can help with W and K; but you lose chance on SV and HD. Besides, W and K can be obtain by rotating the SP through the SP and P spots if needed. I can see how the other way around strategy give a team advantage but not this.

So this is a serious question; not trying to mock OP. Can someone please help me understand this strategy?

Some leagues don't use HD as a stat and by punting saves and just going with all starters you are basically insuring you almost never lose in k's and get more chances at wins. Basically punting one category to ensure you win two other categories.

3 hours ago, AF25 said:

8 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Some leagues don't use HD as a stat and by punting saves and just going with all starters you are basically insuring you almost never lose in k's and get more chances at wins. Basically punting one category to ensure you win two other categories.

I play fantasy point leagues, not categories. A starting pitcher will score more points than a closer, generally, especially so if he pitches twice. 

What ends up happening in a 12 team league is I draft 3 rock solid closers, plus pick up some RP eligible starters. When a guy like Musgrove is starting twice in a week, I throw him and get 30-50 points, where a closer would have gotten me 25 in a good week. This only applies when the leagues lock weekly. Edge cases, I know, but relevant. 

Edited by sngehl01

Bud Norris could be interesting, seems he will be in his do it all role with a possibility to spot start AND close some games. I have him in a deep points league and he was money the first half of last year, I’m predicting the same again this year but beware him faltering late in the season due to fatigue 

Edited by BayofPuigs

18 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Thx Picard56! But that will only work if your two RP spots (or however many spots there is in the league) have two really good SP right? If your opponent goes on streaming frenzy, there is not a sure thing that you will get both W and K. 

18 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

I play fantasy point leagues, not categories. A starting pitcher will score more points than a closer, generally, especially so if he pitches twice. 

What ends up happening in a 12 team league is I draft 3 rock solid closers, plus pick up some RP eligible starters. When a guy like Musgrove is starting twice in a week, I throw him and get 30-50 points, where a closer would have gotten me 25 in a good week. This only applies when the leagues lock weekly. Edge cases, I know, but relevant. 

Thx snehl01! This makes sense; I play daily H2H categories not points locked weekly, so I am not banking on accumulated points but the counting stats.

6 hours ago, AF25 said:

Thx Picard56! But that will only work if your two RP spots (or however many spots there is in the league) have two really good SP right? If your opponent goes on streaming frenzy, there is not a sure thing that you will get both W and K. 

That's how I play fantasy baseball, I don't draft relief pitchers and usually I stream or just keep what I have in the SP and RP spot. Its a sure thing if you just sit on your hands and not stream people as well for your team.

7 hours ago, Picard56 said:

That's how I play fantasy baseball, I don't draft relief pitchers and usually I stream or just keep what I have in the SP and RP spot. Its a sure thing if you just sit on your hands and not stream people as well for your team.

I normally play the streaming SPs strategically; only as needed. Or otherwise it could effect my ERA and WHIP if not careful.

As noted in my signature, I play weekly H2H points. Every year there are a handful of good to great starters that have RP eligibility from the previous year.

I'm not sure if he's been mentioned, but someone pointed out in the Amir Garrett thread that he's RP only on ESPN.  I'm not sure why.  Nothing in their eligibility rules suggests he should be RP at all, let alone RP, and not SP eligible.  Weird.

3 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I'm not sure if he's been mentioned, but someone pointed out in the Amir Garrett thread that he's RP only on ESPN.  I'm not sure why.  Nothing in their eligibility rules suggests he should be RP at all, let alone RP, and not SP eligible.  Weird.

I'm convinced that they just don't care anymore. The eligibility rules are 8 relief appearances from the previous year. Walker Buehler, Sandy Alcantara and Bryan Mitchell should all have RP status, but they don't to just name a few. This works both ways, as you state, Garrett should not have it.

They have only added 2 players from the most recent MLB draft, Kyle Wright and Jake Burger. The money cuts at ESPN have officially graduated them to garbage status. Time to go to Fantrax.

25 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

I'm convinced that they just don't care anymore. The eligibility rules are 8 relief appearances from the previous year. Walker Buehler, Sandy Alcantara and Bryan Mitchell should all have RP status, but they don't to just name a few. This works both ways, as you state, Garrett should not have it.

They have only added 2 players from the most recent MLB draft, Kyle Wright and Jake Burger. The money cuts at ESPN have officially graduated them to garbage status. Time to go to Fantrax.

I wished I'd saved the chat transcript because it was pretty funny.  The guy I was chatting with so clearly did not give a rip.  And you know, if I worked there and some guy started a chat to discuss Amir freakin Garrett's fantasy baseball eligibility, I'd probably roll my eyes too. :lol:

• Haha 1

I'm confused by this thread and the other thread SP eligible relievers seem to be naming the same thing - starters. I'm looking for SP/RPs like raisel Iglesias was last year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I'm confused by this thread and the other thread SP eligible relievers seem to be naming the same thing - starters. I'm looking for SP/RPs like raisel Iglesias was last year.

starting pitchers that have rp eligibility. there is another thread for relievers with sp eligibility.