Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gohawks

Minnesota Vikings 2018 Outlook

Just when you think McDaniels is the biggest piece of s--- the Vikings do their best attempt to come to the rescue.

"The New York Giants were denied permission to interview and hire Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski as their offensive coordinator, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter."

I think the Vikings did themselves good by losing Pat Shurmer. I've never been a huge Shurmer fan but I do think John DeFillipo is a GREAT hire. He had a lot to do with their success this year.

15 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Just when you think McDaniels is the biggest piece of s--- the Vikings do their best attempt to come to the rescue.

"The New York Giants were denied permission to interview and hire Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski as their offensive coordinator, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter."

Not even comparable situations. It's not a better job for Stefanski, since Shurmur will be calling the plays, and MIN has every right to block their assistants from making lateral moves to other teams. 

15 hours ago, Gohawks said:

McDaniels is still the biggest piece of S•••. It's hard to top what he did.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Not even comparable situations. It's not a better job for Stefanski, since Shurmur will be calling the plays, and MIN has every right to block their assistants from making lateral moves to other teams. 

It isn't a lateral move as OC would be an upgrade for Stefanski. I think that is also the reason Flip left Philly though, when it comes to calling plays. Considering Reich took the job in Indy, the OC job in Philly was Flip's job for the taking but he chose to go to the Vikings. He knows that with the Vikings he will run the entire offense and call plays since Zimmer is a defensive HC.

I thought teams couldn't deny their coaches from interviews if it is a promotion. And this was clearly QB coach to OC, like Flip went from QB coach in Philly to OC in Minnesota.

9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Oh I agree that it's not 100% comparable and McDaniels is a far bigger POS.

However, what the Vikings did is also extremely scummy. Using your same logic, McDaniels had every right to back out also. The NFL has always been about moving up the ranks especially for when the individual is younger. Not allowing someone to do that is unheard of and can turn away future candidates form the Vikings.

Also, saying it's not a better job is laughable. Going from QB coach to OC is a better job in every way, shape, and form and also likely came with a very nice salary boost.

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Oh I agree that it's not 100% comparable and McDaniels is a far bigger POS.

However, what the Vikings did is also extremely scummy. Using your same logic, McDaniels had every right to back out also. The NFL has always been about moving up the ranks especially for when the individual is younger. Not allowing someone to do that is unheard of and can turn away future candidates form the Vikings.

Also, saying it's not a better job is laughable. Going from QB coach to OC is a better job in every way, shape, and form and also likely came with a very nice salary boost.

Answer to all of this much ado about nothing:

If you are an assistant coach, sign a one year deal and gamble on yourself.

Assistants cannot be denied a chance to become a HC of another team, but otherwise the team has to give permission.  Some teams routinely give permission, others don't.  Seattle allowed Carroll's 2017 assistants to interview elsewhere by firing just about every last one of them. 

Bradford can't be counted on to stay healthy.  He just can't.

For the assistant coach thing, teams were playing games with job titles of assistants to retain their people.  "Assistant Head Coach--Special Teams."  Remember that one?  So the NFL just did away with all that.  Interviewing for a HC position?  Your team cannot stop you even if you are under contract.  All other positions?  Team permission needed.

17 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bradford can't be counted on to stay healthy.  He just can't.

For the assistant coach thing, teams were playing games with job titles of assistants to retain their people.  "Assistant Head Coach--Special Teams."  Remember that one?  So the NFL just did away with all that.  Interviewing for a HC position?  Your team cannot stop you even if you are under contract.  All other positions?  Team permission needed.

I think the teams can only prevent an interview if a coach is interviewing for the same position with another team. As long as it is a promotion at the coaching level I think a team has to allow the coach to interview. Like with positional coaches interviewing for coordinator positions with other teams.

4 hours ago, devaster said:

I think the teams can only prevent an interview if a coach is interviewing for the same position with another team. As long as it is a promotion at the coaching level I think a team has to allow the coach to interview. Like with positional coaches interviewing for coordinator positions with other teams.

That's how it used to be.  Teams can now block all but head coaching interviews.

14 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

That's how it used to be.  Teams can now block all but head coaching interviews.

Yes, so you think it is ok if the Giants take the Vikings entire offensive coaching staff?  They let the Giants have their OC, but they are supposed to allow them to take whoever they want?  There are some boundries.

1 hour ago, StuPitt said:

Yes, so you think it is ok if the Giants take the Vikings entire offensive coaching staff?  They let the Giants have their OC, but they are supposed to allow them to take whoever they want?  There are some boundries.

If I were an NFL head coach or GM, I probably would never let any of my assistants go and interview with other teams.  Why help out my opponents and let them hire someone from my building who knows what we are doing inside and out?

Zimmer's interview on this was interesting.  He basically said the 1st 2 years their offense was crap, now they finally have what looks like a decent offense and you lose all the coaches.  He makes an interesting point, he stayed loyal to the offensive coaches when they sucked on offense, but as soon as they get good then the coaches all run off to different jobs?

I heard that interview, too.  Good stuff.  Makes a lot of sense.  Zimmer is actually one of my very favorite current NFL coaches.

10 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Zimmer's interview on this was interesting.  He basically said the 1st 2 years their offense was crap, now they finally have what looks like a decent offense and you lose all the coaches.  He makes an interesting point, he stayed loyal to the offensive coaches when they sucked on offense, but as soon as they get good then the coaches all run off to different jobs?

Yes correct. This is what happens on the NFL. Is zimmer serious with this?

20 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I heard that interview, too.  Good stuff.  Makes a lot of sense.  Zimmer is actually one of my very favorite current NFL coaches.

Not a fan. Especially after what I watched in the NFC Championship game. He looked like a deer in headlights and confused. Doug Pederson owned him. This will be the tell tell Year for him. I think he needs to land Cousins. To me Cousins would be a great fit there. 

On 3/3/2018 at 8:03 AM, murraygd13 said:

Zimmer has a great point, but if he feels so strongly about those coaches, he should promote them himself instead of hiring an outsider to be his new OC. 

20 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Agreed. Whether you agree with him or not, he's always honest and direct. Still love how he didn't hold back about Bobby Petrino, Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams a few years ago. 

40 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So what is Kirk Cousins going to do? :lol:

Denver all the way

5 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Denver all the way

Do u want 300 days of sunshine or 300 days of frozen tundra?   I’ll stop there  

:lol: