Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gohawks

Minnesota Vikings 2018 Outlook

54 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So what is Kirk Cousins going to do? :lol:

If he wants a chance to win a SB next year and be with a stable head coach and excellent front office then he goes to minny. 

37 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

If he wants a chance to win a SB next year and be with a stable head coach and excellent front office then he goes to minny. 

0 Lombardi trophies in the same division as Aaron Rodgers, have fun

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

Thats cold blooded. 

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Rodgers is waiting for Cousins to sign and then he's due a new contract that will pay him more than Cousins, and will be a bigger salary cap hit.  The Packers have done a bad job of building a team around Rodgers considering they sucked without him this year.  They have a lot of holes to fill and not much money to do it.  Vikings if they get Cousins should be favorites in the Central for the next 2 or 3 years.

36 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Rodgers is waiting for Cousins to sign and then he's due a new contract that will pay him more than Cousins, and will be a bigger salary cap hit.  The Packers have done a bad job of building a team around Rodgers considering they sucked without him this year.  They have a lot of holes to fill and not much money to do it.  Vikings if they get Cousins should be favorites in the Central for the next 2 or 3 years.

The Vikings better get Cousins or they're not getting out of that division next season. The clock struck midnight on Case Keenum's career. 

I'm interested to see how Cousins's contract is structured. I'm guessing it is going to be very heavy in year 1 and then drop down substantially in years 2 and 3 so the Vikings can still resign people like Kendricks, Hunter, Barr, and of course Diggs. 

On 3/5/2018 at 4:48 PM, lolcopter said:

Your point? I'll let the Eagles know they shouldn't have won the Super Bowl this year because they hadn't won one in the past. 

Teams not named the Packers have won the NFC North 5 out of 10 years since Rodgers became the starter. Cousins is arguably the only NFL starter caliber QB the Vikings have had since the 2009 season with Favre and Cousins is now paired with one of the best defenses in the NFL. 

The Vikings have let me down more times than I can count (I can't count very high to begin with) so I'm not going to say they're going to the Super Bowl. But to say they aren't going going to win the division or even make the playoffs (which you're hinting at with your Rodgers comment) is completely ridiculous. 

We get it, you don't like the Vikings. 

1 hour ago, munde53 said:

Your point? I'll let the Eagles know they shouldn't have won the Super Bowl this year because they hadn't won one in the past. 

Teams not named the Packers have won the NFC North 5 out of 10 years since Rodgers became the starter. Cousins is arguably the only NFL starter caliber QB the Vikings have had since the 2009 season with Favre and Cousins is now paired with one of the best defenses in the NFL. 

The Vikings have let me down more times than I can count (I can't count very high to begin with) so I'm not going to say they're going to the Super Bowl. But to say they aren't going going to win the division or even make the playoffs (which you're hinting at with your Rodgers comment) is completely ridiculous. 

We get it, you don't like the Vikings. 

That division is going to be brutal.  The Bears are better.    We will see what Detroit does in FA.  Rodgers is Rodgers.  

Injuries are going to tell the tale here. 

Credit to minny for going all in to win now. 

cousins does represent one danger to the team. in the coming years it might cause some tough decisions with guys coming up for a new contract. barr, hunter, kendricks, diggs, wayne's 5th year option, etc.. some will be be the odd men out due to cousins. couple this with the team losing teddy, who by all accounts was the heart and soul of the team, and the vikes better hope kirk brings them some magic very soon. the players loved teddy and i think many would've been content to keep him around and build around him. it's no surprise an agent from a viking called out the signing of cousins before it happened. sure, he may be protecting his guy but he knows what's on the horizon now. this team wasn't built around a qb but it could be torn down by one's contract year by year

5 hours ago, Packdog said:

cousins does represent one danger to the team. in the coming years it might cause some tough decisions with guys coming up for a new contract. barr, hunter, kendricks, diggs, wayne's 5th year option, etc.. some will be be the odd men out due to cousins. couple this with the team losing teddy, who by all accounts was the heart and soul of the team, and the vikes better hope kirk brings them some magic very soon. the players loved teddy and i think many would've been content to keep him around and build around him. it's no surprise an agent from a viking called out the signing of cousins before it happened. sure, he may be protecting his guy but he knows what's on the horizon now. this team wasn't built around a qb but it could be torn down by one's contract year by year

Bridgewater was the heart and soul after only starting a couple seasons and missing the last two? Bridgewater was never a long-term answer at QB.

I don't understand why people think signing a QB to an extension is going to present a danger to a team in a couple years. It is still up to the FO to draft well and play it smart in FA once they have their QB locked up. If they don't, contracts get out of hand for many positions. Teams don't particularly do well without the QB position settled. The only other option to paying a QB $15mil+/season is to draft one and hope they play well under their rookie contract.

Vikings acquired QB Trevor Siemian and a 2018 late-round draft pick from the Broncos in exchange for a draft pick in 2019.

The Broncos were in a hurry to get rid of Siemian even though he was easily their second-best quarterback behind Case Keenum and costs only $705,000 this season. In Minnesota, Seimian will provide a formidable backup to Kirk Cousins.

Mar 14 - 5:49 PM

]Screen_Shot_2016-04-12_at_6.49.24_PM.png

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

Vikings acquired QB Trevor Siemian and a 2018 late-round draft pick from the Broncos in exchange for a draft pick in 2019.

The Broncos were in a hurry to get rid of Siemian even though he was easily their second-best quarterback behind Case Keenum and costs only $705,000 this season. In Minnesota, Seimian will provide a formidable backup to Kirk Cousins.

Mar 14 - 5:49 PM

Reveal hidden contents

]Screen_Shot_2016-04-12_at_6.49.24_PM.png

Good move for the Vikings. They needed a backup and got a decent one that has starter experience. 

9 hours ago, devaster said:

Bridgewater was the heart and soul after only starting a couple seasons and missing the last two? Bridgewater was never a long-term answer at QB.

his teammates loved him. he was an inspiration to a lot of them. last year they raved about his practices, his presence in team meetings and film sessions, even his criticism. everyone said he looked great and they felt a bond with him. even keenum was quick to admit how much he leaned on teddy. he will be missed. some will resent cousins, especially when some have to go to make room for his salary. now if cousins has instant success it will mitigate a lot of that but if there is early struggles and it doesn't pay off right away it may make the locker room bitter and it will just get harder in subsequent years as some guys have to go

I have to give the Vikings gmgt credit. This team had SB aspirations that cratered the day bridgewater went down in practice; they made a decision that could have killed most franchises and traded for Bradford,  a few games into the season Norv Turner resigned, lost bradford to injury after a game, put in a backup and got to the NFC title game. Now they paid up for a potential franchise QB.

Kudos to the Vikings for overcoming QB losses and staying focused on what they need to do to get to get to the SB.

I have never understood the love for Teddy Bridgewater.  Apparently he is a great guy around the locker room, but he is below average as a QB on the field.  And that was BEFORE his absolutely carastrophic knee injury suffered in the summer of 2016.

The truth is, the Vikings won despite their quarterback in 2017, not because of him.  Cousins is a huge upgrade over Keenum in pretty much every area, but especially accuracy, arm strength, and decision-making.  Minnesota is going to be very tough to beat with Cousins in 2018.

On 3/14/2018 at 6:57 AM, Packdog said:

Barr is an average player and wouldn't be a huge loss. He'll cost less than most people think.

Waynes is also a very average player (closer to below average) and again wouldn't be a huge loss.

Hunter is coming off of a down year in terms of sack production so Vikings could actually save some money if they resigned him this off season.

Diggs and Kendricks will cost money and are the only two that are close to must signs (I would actually include Hunter with them as well).

Even after signing Cousins and Richardson (estimated 11 million) the Vikings are still about 17 million under the salary cap for 2018 (including projected rookie signings). In other words there is enough cap left from 2018 alone to sign a couple of the guys listed to extensions.

I don't understand the negativity surrounding the Cousins signing. The Vikings had one of the largest cap spaces in the NFL and they are spending their money on Pro-Bowl players.

Cousins to Minnesota is a best-case scenario for the fantasy prospects of everyone involved.  But especially Diggs.  Diggs's route running precision and explosiveness plus Cousin's accuracy are a match made in heaven.

1 minute ago, munde53 said:

Barr is an average player and wouldn't be a huge loss. He'll cost less than most people think.

Waynes is also a very average player (closer to below average) and again wouldn't be a huge loss.

Hunter is coming off of a down year in terms of sack production so Vikings could actually save some money if they resigned him this off season.

Diggs and Kendricks will cost money and are the only two that are close to must signs (I would actually include Hunter with them as well).

Even after signing Cousins and Richardson (estimated 11 million) the Vikings are still about 17 million under the salary cap for 2018 (including projected rookie signings). In other words there is enough cap left from 2018 alone to sign a couple of the guys listed to extensions.

I don't understand the negativity surrounding the Cousins signing. The Vikings had one of the largest cap spaces in the NFL and they are spending their money on Pro-Bowl players.

I applaud their aggressiveness. They should no doubt be the NFC favorite this year. I like what they did. The guaranteed Cousins money may haunt them in a couple years but so what? They are going for it now.

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cousins to Minnesota is a best-case scenario for the fantasy prospects of everyone involved.  But especially Diggs.  Diggs's route running precision and explosiveness plus Cousin's accuracy are a match made in heaven.

Yup, he's going to put up some serious numbers in that offense. Gonna be fun to watch.

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I have never understood the love for Teddy Bridgewater.  Apparently he is a great guy around the locker room, but he is below average as a QB on the field.  And that was BEFORE his absolutely carastrophic knee injury suffered in the summer of 2016.

The truth is, the Vikings won despite their quarterback in 2017, not because of him.  Cousins is a huge upgrade over Keenum in pretty much every area, but especially accuracy, arm strength, and decision-making.  Minnesota is going to be very tough to beat with Cousins in 2018.

They were 3rd best passing offense in the NFL by DVOA last season. Let's not act like Keenum didn't play extremely well last season. Cousins is an upgrade in the sense that he's a better bet to sustain his current production since he's done it for 3 yrs now, whereas nobody believes Keenum will repat his 2017. That said, it's gonna be hard for Cousins to be better than what 2017 Keenum just was with Minny.

41 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

I applaud their aggressiveness. They should no doubt be the NFC favorite this year. I like what they did. The guaranteed Cousins money may haunt them in a couple years but so what? They are going for it now.

But really it's only a 3 year deal so it's not that bad if he plays terrible this season; it won't hamper the cap for years to come.  The cap is likely to go up each of the next 2 seasons as well.  If he stinks the next Vikings QB will likely be someone they draft and would be under a cheap rookie deal.