Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gohawks

Minnesota Vikings 2018 Outlook

10 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

But really it's only a 3 year deal so it's not that bad if he plays terrible this season; it won't hamper the cap for years to come.  The cap is likely to go up each of the next 2 seasons as well.  If he stinks the next Vikings QB will likely be someone they draft and would be under a cheap rookie deal.

True, i think the guaranteed money scares everyone. But in reality aren't all QB contracts guaranteed at the end of the day? Starters

never get cut.

The only way would be if he were injured. I could see that being a bad situation.  

He's going to get this season and next season no matter how he plays, if he's terrible the next 2 seasons both the GM and the coach are out of a job.  They would draft someone then and only have to put up with Kirk taking up cap space for a season.  It's not as bad as it sounds.  Compared to someone like Jimmy G.  If ends up bad they have him on the books until after the 2022 season.

5 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

The only way would be if he were injured. I could see that being a bad situation.  

He's going to get this season and next season no matter how he plays, if he's terrible the next 2 seasons both the GM and the coach are out of a job.  They would draft someone then and only have to put up with Kirk taking up cap space for a season.  It's not as bad as it sounds.  Compared to someone like Jimmy G.  If ends up bad they have him on the books until after the 2022 season.

Yup, it's really a low risk can't lose signing for Minnesota. But your right about if he gets hurt. If he's in Andrew Lucks shoes they're in trouble.

52 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

They were 3rd best passing offense in the NFL by DVOA last season. Let's not act like Keenum didn't play extremely well last season. Cousins is an upgrade in the sense that he's a better bet to sustain his current production since he's done it for 3 yrs now, whereas nobody believes Keenum will repat his 2017. That said, it's gonna be hard for Cousins to be better than what 2017 Keenum just was with Minny.

Did you actually watch any Viking games in 2017?  Keenum was hurling up wobbly ducks but the Vikings receivers were so good they managed to make it work anyway.

7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Did you actually watch any Viking games in 2017?  Keenum was hurling up wobbly ducks but the Vikings receivers were so good they managed to make it work anyway.

Nobody thought the MIN WR duo was elite until Keenum started balling. Look at their ADPs last year if you don't believe me.

7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Nobody thought the MIN WR duo was elite until Keenum started balling. Look at their ADPs last year if you don't believe me.

ADPs are a great way to measure the mainstream fantasy community's evaluation of a player or players.  And they are a great thing to abuse as a fantasy player who can spot future trends.  I reject them utterly as a valid measure of how good an NFL player actually is.

22 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

well this definitely explains them having the 3rd best passing offense. That's some historic WR performance by Diggs/Thielen

18 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

ADPs are a great way to measure the mainstream fantasy community's evaluation of a player or players.  And they are a great thing to abuse as a fantasy player who can spot future trends.  I reject them utterly as a valid measure of how good an NFL player actually is.

ADP is a great measure of perception - both in FFL and in the NFL. No one thought MIN had an elite WR corps until Keenum balled. Many people thought MIN overpaid on Theilen's extension this time a year ago.

45 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

LOL!  Right bro, the all time leader in college yards and TDS is some kind of slouch when he gets his chance and performs and can't throw a spiral. What, is he CJ Beathard now without those receivers?

1 hour ago, Sternes said:

LOL!  Right bro, the all time leader in college yards and TDS is some kind of slouch when he gets his chance and performs and can't throw a spiral. What, is he CJ Beathard now without those receivers?

Yes, because wild success in a horrible conference in college is a great indicator of NFL success.

Signed, David Klingler

Jordy had a very high ADP going into 2017 drafts, but is in fact now garbage at this stage of his career as his on-field performance showed.  So his high ADP (big name) had no relation to how good he actually was (small game).

As for Diggs and, to a lesser extent, Theilen, Minnesota knew what they had in those guys.  Shrewd fantasy team managers did, too.  And those shrewd fantasy team managers scooped up Diggs and Theilen while their more conventionally-minded opponents were chasing the Ghost of Jordy Past.

12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Jordy had a very high ADP going into 2017 drafts, but is in fact now garbage at this stage of his career as his on-field performance showed.  So his high ADP (big name) had no relation to how good he actually was (small game).

As for Diggs and, to a lesser extent, Theilen, Minnesota knew what they had in those guys.  Shrewd fantasy team managers did, too.  And those shrewd fantasy team managers scooped up Diggs and Theilen while their more conventionally-minded opponents were chasing the Ghost of Jordy Past.

Show me where you were high on Theilen as a WR1 before the start of last season. No one saw that coming. I thought he had a faint shot at being top-15 and even that was thought outlandish by the FFL community.

Hey, I'm not perfect.

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Hey, I'm not perfect.

No one is. My point is that no one was talking about the MIN WR duo being elite until the middle of last year, and Keenum had a lot to do with that. He's not as good as Cousins, but he's not a scrub either. 

47 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes, because wild success in a horrible conference in college is a great indicator of NFL success.

Signed, David Klingler

....until he has a very good year in the NFL.  Did last year happen or not?

...and Antonio Brown played in the MAC.  Christian Ponder was a first rounder.  As was EJ Manuel.  What is your point?  It is easy to say that BEFORE someone has a good year.  After a good year in the NFL, I don't understand the abuse.  He at least should be an average NFL QB.

Not sure why Keenum gets ragged on so hard.

And that "horrible conference" Brandon Marshall, Chris Johnson, DeAngelo Williams, and Josh Sitton came out of among many others.

42 minutes ago, Sternes said:

butthurt diggs owner is butthurt. The good news is that he’ll be able to draft diggs after thielen this season

5 hours ago, lolcopter said:

butthurt diggs owner is butthurt. The good news is that he’ll be able to draft diggs after thielen this season

That is really good news.  And it is going to be big fun watching Diggs do his thing with a real quarterback in 2018.

5 hours ago, Sternes said:

Your definition of a very good year for a quarterback and mine must not be the same.  I watched most every Minnesota game in 2017.  Every drop-back was an adventure.  The team won a lot of games but could not wait to drop Keenum.  They saw what I saw, and wanted no part of it in 2018.  Denver will get to experience the Joy of Keenum now.  

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Your definition of a very good year for a quarterback and mine must not be the same.  I watched most every Minnesota game in 2017.  Every drop-back was an adventure.  The team won a lot of games but could not wait to drop Keenum.  They saw what I saw, and wanted no part of it in 2018.  Denver will get to experience the Joy of Keenum now.  

I don't get the Keenum love either. To me he was an average/below average QB on a very good team with an elite Defensive. Nothin more.

30 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

I don't get the Keenum love either. To me he was an average/below average QB on a very good team with an elite Defensive. Nothin more.

That's because you only watched the NFC championship game. 

10 hours ago, Sternes said:

...and Antonio Brown played in the MAC.  Christian Ponder was a first rounder.  As was EJ Manuel.  What is your point?  It is easy to say that BEFORE someone has a good year.  After a good year in the NFL, I don't understand the abuse.  He at least should be an average NFL QB.

And that "horrible conference" Brandon Marshall, Chris Johnson, DeAngelo Williams, and Josh Sitton came out of among many others.

I think he gets ragged on because his supporters promote him as an elite QB because he had some hightlight reel plays and was on a winning team that got to the NFC title game. Most of his detractors saw an average QB with decent mobility that helped his game but couldnt make certain throws and he had the benefit of an elite group of pass catchers and a good defense. I watched hm play and he was a very capable QB but nowhere near elite.  He is basically good enough to be a starter in the right offense but he isnt a franchise QB and you cant count on him to win you games with his arm like an elite QB.

I think he is a good fit to help stabilize Denver at the QB position as they get their run game cranking

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well we've gone from all he does is throw wobbly ducks, to he played in a poor pass happy conference, to his very good year was not a good year.  What next?  Again I watched a lot of his games.  I watched him stay alive in the pocket that constantly collapsed.  We can agree to disagree.  His QBR, which I never put any stock in and don't like as a stat, was 2nd in the NFL for those that do like or use.

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I think he gets ragged on because his supporters promote him as an elite QB because he had some hightlight reel plays and was on a winning team that got to the NFC title game. Most of his detractors saw an average QB with decent mobility that helped his game but couldnt make certain throws and he had the benefit of an elite group of pass catchers and a good defense. I watched hm play and he was a very capable QB but nowhere near elite.  He is basically good enough to be a starter in the right offense but he isnt a franchise QB and you cant count on him to win you games with his arm like an elite QB.

I think he is a good fit to help stabilize Denver at the QB position as they get their run game cranking

Who is running around saying he is elite or an MVP?  Also, when did the Vikings WR suddenly become Randy Moss and Cris Carter?  I keep hearing how elite they are, now, after the season. I didn't hear anyone say that before the season.  Now, they apparently carried Keenum through the season who is, listening to people, Kizer-lite.

I'm also baffled by this whole magical "elite" QB who runs around winning games for people.  A great QB can do that.  It doesn't just happen because he is elite.  How many of those are there in the league?  There are a lot of guys who are PAID like it.  I'd say Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are there.

People act like Keenum to Cousins is Hundley to Rodgers.  The curious attitude that seems to prevail right now is that Keenum was somehow holding the team back.  That is the part I don't understand.

43 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

That's because you only watched the NFC championship game. 

Nope, missed that one to. How did he do?

8 minutes ago, Sternes said:

People act like Keenum to Cousins is Hundley to Rodgers.  The curious attitude that seems to prevail right now is that Keenum was somehow holding the team back.  That is the part I don't understand.

Then you should ask the HC because he has been telegraphing since Bradford went down that Keenum wasn't the right fit for his offense and proved it by signing Kirk Cousins.