Sign in to follow this  
Gohawks

Minnesota Vikings 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Geeze, they can't catch a break.

Hill returned to practice shortly after and appears to be fine. So that good. Offensive line has been giving us some scares, but Easton appears to be the only serious one.

*knock on wood

Edited by wildvikestwins
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 11:55 PM, Sternes said:

Curt Warner is in the HoF

curt.jpg

I admit that joke went straight over my head.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 9:47 PM, Sternes said:

Cousins sack 7.1%

Keenum sack 4.4%

Cousins was the 5th most sacked QB at 41, yet gave up the most yardage in sacks at 342 yards, and 8.34 yards lost per sack.

Keenum was the 27th most sacked QB at 22, yet gave up a lot lower yardage at 136 yards, which is 6.18 yards lost per sack.

No one else loses 8 yards per sack.  In fact at a glance, it looks like the next closest person is 7.4 yards lost per sack, and that is Wilson.  Jacoby Brissett loses 5.8 yards per sack, and he was the most sacked QB in the NFL at 52.

In fact the more I look at it, I've stumbled across an alarming stat.  Cousins has a career average of 7.99 yards lost per sack.

David Carr who got butchered every day at work had a 5.99 yards lost per sack for his career.  Jeff George 7.5. Cunningham 7.3. Drew Bledsoe 6.71. Kitna 6.15. Bortles 6.

I thought I found someone in Tim Couch at 9.6, but I entered it incorrectly and his was actually 6.74.  Anyone have a resources that has this sorted?  I finally found someone with a higher loss, Bubby Brister at 8.4, but I'm curious now as to how Cousins stacks up historically in this aspect.

I figured with the OLine news this was worth a bump.

8 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Cousins sack 7.1%

Keenum sack 4.4%

OK, this is telling me that somewhere in the combination of his O-Line (or possibly RBs/TEs) not giving protection, and him panicking, Cousins doesn't do so well under pressure. Still, the effect on FF is relatively limited, except probably the chance of injury is higher.

10 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Cousins was the 5th most sacked QB at 41, yet gave up the most yardage in sacks at 342 yards, and 8.34 yards lost per sack.

Keenum was the 27th most sacked QB at 22, yet gave up a lot lower yardage at 136 yards, which is 6.18 yards lost per sack.

Look, I think you know by now that I am as stats obsessed as you are, but I honestly don't know what that means. So he loses 2 additional yards per sack. That's unfortunate, but it's not really going to affect the next 3rd down (that's a 3rd and long anyway), and it doesn't make him a bad QB, does it? Just a bit of a chicken that apparently he's running back to momma when the big bad LB is gonna get him. Or, does it mean Cousins drops a bit further in the pocket than most?

Example:

https://www.giants.com/video/lb-devon-kennard-sacks-kirk-cousins-20165838

This one is patently not on him, this is the Giants D just overpowering the guard (who looks pretty bad here). File under: poop happens.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

OK, this is telling me that somewhere in the combination of his O-Line (or possibly RBs/TEs) not giving protection, and him panicking, Cousins doesn't do so well under pressure. Still, the effect on FF is relatively limited, except probably the chance of injury is higher.

Look, I think you know by now that I am as stats obsessed as you are, but I honestly don't know what that means. So he loses 2 additional yards per sack. That's unfortunate, but it's not really going to affect the next 3rd down (that's a 3rd and long anyway), and it doesn't make him a bad QB, does it? Just a bit of a chicken that apparently he's running back to momma when the big bad LB is gonna get him. Or, does it mean Cousins drops a bit further in the pocket than most?

Example:

This one is patently not on him, this is the Giants D just overpowering the guard (who looks pretty bad here). File under: poop happens.

I’m also not sure what’s being argued here...

Is it Cousins is a less passer than Keenum?  Keenum had a better passer rating in 2017 than Cousins, but we’re not really comparing Apples-to-Apples... Washington had greatly inferior weapons on offense, and a ton of injuries.

Loosing more yardage on sack probably isn’t an issue with Cousins but reflective of the team.  Cousins doesn’t have a long Time-to-Throw for example...

I think long term Cousins will be an upgrade on Keenum, but until the season is over there are no equivalent stats.  My bet (and the Vikings organizations bet) is Keenum’s excellent 2017 season was a product of the system, and Cousins will have an even better 2018.

Usually when I’m comparing QBs, I’m looking at the big stats: Passer Rating, TD/INT, Completion %, etc.

Dig down far enough, and you’ll probably find a “bad” stat on any QB, but that doesn’t mean it’s relevant in the big picture.  Stats are useful though... for example I can say that “Anyone with a COMP% lower than Cam Newton shouldn’t be a Starter” and low and behold that holds up.  Replace COMP% with Passer Rating, and that’s also true for the most part but circumstances should also be considered (mainly injuries).

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#rating

Edited by seanismorris

On 8/13/2018 at 11:30 PM, Boudewijn said:

Example:

I find it a strange statistic myself.  Is his internal clock off?  Does he just wander in the backfield and retreat and lose additional yards?  Is he afraid to take an incomplete pass or force a throw so he settles for a sack? 

Two yards is two yards.  If I could have two free yards as a coach, I'd take them.  What is strange is that Cousins is not immobile.  He loses more yards per sack than pocket passers, and he loses more yards per sack than scramblers. 

Real talk, the sh1tty Vikings DST is safe to drop right? They are god awful.

Edited by noles1983

2 minutes ago, noles1983 said:

Real talk, the sh1tty Vikings DST is safe to drop right? They are god awful.

yes, dont be surprised if they turn it around in the second half of the season. But the swiss cheese secondary does not look like coming together anytime soon.

Also, no one knows when or if Everson Griffen will return this season

• Like 1

6 hours ago, next big thing cp84 said:

yes, dont be surprised if they turn it around in the second half of the season. But the swiss cheese secondary does not look like coming together anytime soon.

Also, no one knows when or if Everson Griffen will return this season

But it's not swiss cheese.  All the Rams did was throw it to whoever that slow a** linebacker was guarding... I think his name was BARR?  He was burned for TDS like 4 times...

2 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

But it's not swiss cheese.  All the Rams did was throw it to whoever that slow a** linebacker was guarding... I think his name was BARR?  He was burned for TDS like 4 times...

They abused Zimmer's defensive switches to repeatedly get their WRs on Barr. That's just good coaching. 

Is it just Barr that’s the problem with the Vikings? I was hoping on them being an every week starter but want to understand why they haven’t been good. Is it just playing hard teams? Is the future brighter after this week against the Rams? 

I sat them last week for GB and then picked up Carolina this week but I was hoping they would be good after that. Maybe not the Saints. Capped on transactions so I can’t stream every week. 

32 minutes ago, 3FLi said:

Is it just Barr that’s the problem with the Vikings? I was hoping on them being an every week starter but want to understand why they haven’t been good. Is it just playing hard teams? Is the future brighter after this week against the Rams? 

I sat them last week for GB and then picked up Carolina this week but I was hoping they would be good after that. Maybe not the Saints. Capped on transactions so I can’t stream every week. 

Coaching is the issue, Barr hasn't been amazing but he gave up touchdowns to Kupp, Woods, and Gurley... a LB that weighs over 250 lbs should never be left in 1 on 1 coverage with those guys. 

The future is definitely brighter after this week with matchups vs AZ and NYJ, I expect them to start turning it around after those games, also I'd imagine Everson Griffen will return around that time but that's no guarantee. This week at Philly will most likely be similar to last week. 

However, if the defense does not turn it around sooner rather than later, expect some coaching staff to get fired mid season. Minnesota has invested heavily in this 2-4 year window at finally bringing a SB back to Minny, so they do not have the time to wait on incompetent coaching.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I forgot to mention Everton Griffen. He won’t be back till earliest week 6 if at all

Everson Griffen missing means more to this defense than just his production on the field. It's clear his absence and his mental health is weighing on the entire team especially the defense. I chalk the loss to Buffalo, at least the blow out, to the team being distracted with Griffens's absence. Griffen's absence also impacts going into a hard match up against the Rams on a short week.

I expect the defense to play far better in upcoming weeks but it will not be the dominant defense it was last year without Griffen on the field.

With the lose of Everson Griffen, for however long, and the potential rest of season lose of Mike Hughes how dominate is the Vikings defense for the rest of the season?

Just now, 3FLi said:

With the lose of Everson Griffen, for however long, and the potential rest of season lose of Mike Hughes how dominate is the Vikings defense for the rest of the season?

Doesn't matter as streaming defenses is the only way to go. The NFL has become a joke with their nut hugging of QBs to the point that any mediocre QB can put up stats against even elite defenses. They still have to face Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, and Brady. Along with Stafford twice who can light them up as well. There's no value in holding them.