Under500Forever

Nolan Arenado 2018 Outlook

Yahoo settings aren’t calibrated properly 

tre is 27 overall vs 17 for arenado

player rater rating of 8.7 vs 9.9.  Yes Arenado has been better, but acting like making one move over the other in a standard 5x5 league was significant is just not true. You are surely winning or losing your league based off other picks and pickups and not the relativley small difference in value between Turner and Arenado. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

27 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yahoo settings aren’t calibrated properly 

tre is 27 overall vs 17 for arenado

player rater rating of 8.7 vs 9.9.  Yes Arenado has been better, but acting like making one move over the other in a standard 5x5 league was significant is just not true. You are surely winning or losing your league based off other picks and pickups and not the relativley small difference in value between Turner and Arenado. 

Ha. Just look at the numbers. It’s not close, but keep calibrating til you get what you want, I guess. 

Arenado 

57-22-63-0-.313-1.003

Turner

48-9-29-22-.272-.768

One is a first round stud (as always) and the other, to put it lightly, is not. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Ha. Just look at the numbers. It’s not close, but keep calibrating til you get what you want, I guess. 

Arenado 

57-22-63-0-.313-1.003

Turner

48-9-29-22-.272-.768

One is a first round stud (as always) and the other, to put it lightly, is not. 

I mean the ops doesn’t matter and you’re greatly undervaluing the value of a sb in 5x5 if you think those two lines are as far off as you claim they are. Math is hard.

arenado is a much better hitter, but when steals are scarce and count for 20 percent of value, Tre turner becomes pretty valuable. Arenado has had the better Fantasy year , but it’s not by a ridiculous amount.

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I mean the ops doesn’t matter and you’re greatly undervaluing the value of a sb in 5x5 if you think those two lines are as far off as you claim they are. Math is hard.

arenado is a much better hitter, but when steals are scarce and count for 20 percent of value, Tre turner becomes pretty valuable. Arenado has had the better Fantasy year , but it’s not by a ridiculous amount.

Could have drafted Arenado and took Gordon later. Heck, if you want SB that bad, there are a few guys out there who will get you 20. I'll never advocate taking Turner in the 1st unless he's stealing 60 with 20HR and a BA of .300... which he isn't and won't.

13 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Could have drafted Arenado and took Gordon later. Heck, if you want SB that bad, there are a few guys out there who will get you 20. I'll never advocate taking Turner in the 1st unless he's stealing 60 with 20HR and a BA of .300... which he isn't and won't.

Again, I don't see what this has to do with the point that Arenado has only been a little better than Tre Turner this year. It's just math.  The player rater difference between Betts and Arenado is twice that of Arenado and Turner. Betts went after both. We also still have half a season left.  Yes so far Its Betts >> Arenado > Turner. That being Kershaw, Harper, Blackmon aren't even top 50. Goldy is 44. I don't kow what to tell you, that's just how they rank in 5x5 through July 3rd. 

The Tre Turner hate is weird. If you don't want to draft a steals guy in round 1, don't. Yes he takes a hit in leagues that count power even more. I don't even really like 5x5 that much, but Turner has elite potential still and has had a decent year despite Arenado being a little better than him. 

Here's a good post about the player rater and value from earlier this offseason

I'd also like to point out that I had Arenado's back on the last page when people were disappointed about his stats. Arenado is great, he's an elite bat. First rounder.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Again, I don't see what this has to do with the point that Arenado has only been a little better than Tre Turner this year. It's just math.  The player rater difference between Betts and Arenado is twice that of Arenado and Turner. Betts went after both. We also still have half a season left.  Yes so far Its Betts >> Arenado > Turner. That being Kershaw, Harper, Blackmon aren't even top 50. Goldy is 44. I don't kow what to tell you, that's just how they rank in 5x5 through July 3rd. 

The Tre Turner hate is weird. If you don't want to draft a steals guy in round 1, don't. Yes he takes a hit in leagues that count power even more. I don't even really like 5x5 that much, but Turner has elite potential still and has had a decent year despite Arenado being a little better than him. 

Here's a good post about the player rater and value from earlier this offseason

I'd also like to point out that I had Arenado's back on the last page when people were disappointed about his stats. Arenado is great, he's an elite bat. First rounder.

Sorry wasn't really like... getting at you there. Just making a point on top of yours. Lots of people took Tra the 1st and it didn't make sense to me. 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 1:40 PM, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Sorry wasn't really like... getting at you there. Just making a point on top of yours. Lots of people took Tra the 1st and it didn't make sense to me. 

After one monster game , Tre is slightly ahead of Arenado now.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

After one monster game , Tre is slightly ahead of Arenado now.

Arenado is 9th and Trea is 32nd currently in my league. Its 7x7 though. I would put my bank account on Arenado finishing ahead of Trea by the end of the season. The fact that they were projected as the 3rd and 4th picks is most likely the reason for this debate. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, collucho said:

Arenado is 9th and Trea is 32nd currently in my league. Its 7x7 though. I would put my bank account on Arenado finishing ahead of Trea by the end of the season. The fact that they were projected as the 3rd and 4th picks is most likely the reason for this debate. 

Only discussing 5x5.  If anyone chose Turner that high in a league that counts more power and devalues steals, he's obviously worth significantly less. 

I do prefer leagues that aren't 5x5 for that reason really, but standard has yet to adjust. Kind of sad. You wont hear me disagree that as a hitter Arenado is much better than Turner.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Only discussing 5x5.  If anyone chose Turner that high in a league that counts more power and devalues steals, he's obviously worth significantly less. 

I do prefer leagues that aren't 5x5 for that reason really, but standard has yet to adjust. Kind of sad. 

I think everyone was just chasing his 2016 stats and assuming that was the caliber player he is. If he could replicate those stats over a full season he would 100% be a first round pick in any league.

Yahoo standard 5x5 roto currently has Arenado at 11 overall and Turner at 34 overall on the player rater.

20 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Yahoo standard 5x5 roto currently has Arenado at 11 overall and Turner at 34 overall on the player rater.

Since we're doing this...

ESPN Player Rater has Tre Turner at #18 and Nolan at #19 in 5x5 roto for me.

see this makes no sense to me how 3 or more platforms have such discrepancy in same players rankings with same 5x5 categories.

anyone want to shed some light? ik its probably has something to do with the value of sb but still  

Just now, colepenhagen said:

see this makes no sense to me how 3 or more platforms have such discrepancy in same players rankings with same 5x5 categories.

anyone want to shed some light? ik its probably has something to do with the value of sb but still  

This discussion is way off topic for Arenado's outlook thread, but the answer turns out to mostly be about the scarcest categories, which are in fact SB and SV.  The math-y reasons are ones we can save for a separate thread devoted to that purpose, if desired.

• Like 1

With all the talk going to Trout/Betts/Lindor/JoRam.  I feel like this guy isn't being spoken about enough.  Quietly having a monster season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, svtballa said:

With all the talk going to Trout/Betts/Lindor/JoRam.  I feel like this guy isn't being spoken about enough.  Quietly having a monster season.

Nolan Arenado is the chosen one, created through the power of the force by Darth Hader. He and his mighty bat-saber will bring balance to my stat line night after night with his beautiful dongs. Opponents beware.

23 hours ago, ktierne3 said:

He and his mighty bat-saber will bring balance to my stat line night after night with his beautiful dongs.

Bow chicka, bow wow!?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nickdoggmoneycash said:

Taken out of the game, tweaked his shoulder

Everything I’ve read so far says it’s just precautionary. Let’s hope for the best. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s off tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, svtballa said:

Anything to see here??

Any time there’s further evaluation scheduled, I know I sweat. I just hope it’s a few days of rest kind of thing, maybe a cortisone shot. I hope.

Nolan Arenado said his right shoulder was bothering him for a few weeks. After a double play in the fourth, it became painful. "I couldn't let it eat." He will re-evaluate Saturday.

That doesn’t sound good at all. 

This is somewhat encouraging 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DKramer_/status/1028144665986588672

Another Twitter post

Nolan Arenado on injury: “A little tweak and I’ve been playing through it for a while but it acted up tonight. I plan to play tomorrow... I’ve felt it for about a week.”

im not sure who the guys are that posted these but it was taken from his post game interview. 
Let him rest for a game or two and see where it goes. 
Doesnt seem bad though. Fingers crossed

8 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Nolan Arenado on injury: “...I plan to play tomorrow... ”

Yep - DL upcoming
Edited by SuperJoint