ryno1980

Nick Pivetta 2018 Outlook

I know I don't really bench the guy. I'll throw him at Washington. Upside too high for me to let sit. I'd rather take a dud in my lineup than let a gem sit on the bench. The question for him that night is whether he has it or he doesn't. He did get tuned up at Washington earlier this year, but I'll roll the dice. 

I started him because its a 16 team league and good pitching doesn't grow on trees.

Didn't have a chance to watch the game until just before the rain delay, but the weather had a lot to do with Washington actually scoring.

Before the rain delay 4 straight guys reached base.

After?  Well he struck out everyone except Bryce Harper, who steamed a double to left center. His curveball was disgusting.

people running him out there again this week at home vs washington again?  can lightning strike twice?

1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

I started him because its a 16 team league and good pitching doesn't grow on trees.

Didn't have a chance to watch the game until just before the rain delay, but the weather had a lot to do with Washington actually scoring.

Before the rain delay 4 straight guys reached base.

After?  Well he struck out everyone except Bryce Harper, who steamed a double to left center. His curveball was disgusting.

I watched every pitch of this game and I thought Pivetta did a fantastic job considering the circumstances. His curveball was just fine before the rain came. Now, he doesn’t have an excuse for the Rendon HR as that was before it was raining and it was a piped FB, but it really started to come down after Rendon’s AB, and he couldn’t get a tight grip on that CB. It did not have half his normal break, and he hung some that really weren’t hit that hard through the infield, just some bad luck. He came back out after the delay and was fired up and really showed some good  fight in him. Kid is a stud, I think his 2nd half is going to be more often than not, what we saw 2 starts ago. I’d be buying if you can get him cheap or if he is laying around on the waiver.

14 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

I watched every pitch of this game and I thought Pivetta did a fantastic job considering the circumstances. His curveball was just fine before the rain came. Now, he doesn’t have an excuse for the Rendon HR as that was before it was raining and it was a piped FB, but it really started to come down after Rendon’s AB, and he couldn’t get a tight grip on that CB. It did not have half his normal break, and he hung some that really weren’t hit that hard through the infield, just some bad luck. He came back out after the delay and was fired up and really showed some good  fight in him. Kid is a stud, I think his 2nd half is going to be more often than not, what we saw 2 starts ago. I’d be buying if you can get him cheap or if he is laying around on the waiver.

Agree on all counts. It may even have started sprinkling before it became evident on TV but no excuses...he made a mistake to a solid hitter & it got deposited in left center seats. It happens....all the rest of the damage came after it really started to rain. He came back out & looked as good as expected. I actually thought he was getting squeezed by the ump on a couple that WAS pitchers seemed to be getting but my bias does that to me so take that with a grain of salt.

I will almost definitely be rolling him out there no matter what unless it's a LH-heavy offense that is good AND the opposing pitcher is a #1 guy. PHI bullpen has shown to be a weakness & PHI offense isn't one that can overcome that enough to be relied upon. He was in line for the win last night before the pen blew it for him.

• Like 1

He'll have a good outing if he command the curve. As of his past couple starts, the curve is stellar!

I'm rolling him out but I'm a little nervous about it.  I just know if I bench him he'll dominate.

At least it won't be raining...mid-90's heat won't be fun. I just hope PHI hitters get to Fedde early & often.

PHI-WAS_6.29.18.JPG

This is why i dropped this dude a few weeks back.  He looks like a stud one game.  Next game gets completely destroyed.

Good luck picking back up those ratios and figuring out which games to start him.

13 minutes ago, Elviplatinum said:

This is why i dropped this dude a few weeks back.  He looks like a stud one game.  Next game gets completely destroyed.

Good luck picking back up those ratios and figuring out which games to start him.

Same deal here. I regretted it after his 13 K game, but now I remember why I dropped him. Kind of the same volatile category as his teammate Velazquez. A lottery ticket because of the obvious ability, but it’s like Russian roulette every week.

• Like 1

Next stop...High A. Phillies could bring up anyone to match or better this performance. Mediocre

Kapler seems to show no hesitation in letting Pivetta absorb severe poundings.

Edited by thefamily79

As games like this go to show, it's not ideal to be facing the same team in back to back starts.

Washington destroyed him on 5/4 as well: 6 ER in 1 IP.

Wonder what it is with them and Pivetta.....

He's easier to own in h2h. Just sit v was and deal with the other occasional random blowup.  The good is too hard to ignore still

• Like 1

He’ll be a great auction buy next year if the up and down continues and the numbers look pedestrian come seasons end. This is only his second year in the majors the strikeouts are there just needs some polish and growth. Whether that happens is another question but the price will probably be right to find out. 

• Like 1

The problem last night was that he was not allowed more IP to get more K's to offset all the ER's and HRA. If they'd have just left him in there, he could have struck out the next 17 batters and broke even on the night in a points league.

I blame Kapler.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 6:54 PM, rdf8585 said:

As games like this go to show, it's not ideal to be facing the same team in back to back starts.

Washington destroyed him on 5/4 as well: 6 ER in 1 IP.

Wonder what it is with them and Pivetta.....

His ERA vs. Washington: 15.58

His ERA vs. everyone else: 3.45

36 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

Really could have used that win on Friday night. ;)

Has had no idea where the extra 10 points came from today! Lol

1 hour ago, Hound75 said:

A primary reason why I will hold him for now and never start him against Washington ever again. Lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hound75 said:

His ERA vs Washington is actually 17.61. Here's the crazy part...his WHIP vs the Nats is 3.52, which is higher than his 3.45 ERA against everyone else. LOL. 

His line vs Washington: 7.2 IP, 20 H, 7 BB, 10 K, 15 ER, 6 HR...17.61 ERA, 3.52 WHIP. 

His line vs everyone else: 78.1 IP, 57 H, 19 BB, 93 K, 30 ER, 7 HR...3.45 ERA, 0.97 WHIP.