urban2014

C.J. Anderson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

My prediction: CJ is the clear lead back. Not much of a committee. 2 Rushing TDs for CJA. Maybe a 3rd through the air. He's still got some juice left, and Rams offense is potent.

3 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

My prediction: CJ is the clear lead back. Not much of a committee. 2 Rushing TDs for CJA. Maybe a 3rd through the air. He's still got some juice left, and Rams offense is potent.

In a new offense? Ok dude

2 hours ago, Krambone said:

Rams are just going to pass all day, I doubt any Rams RB is a viable option. TEs and WR if I had to guess where most the action will happen.

With the way Goff has been playing lately that seems like a recipe for disaster. I'm not expecting them to just run the offense the exact same way they would if Gurley were healthy but this is an offense rooted in the run and at its best when it runs to set up the pass. Although I think they'll definitely want to make a concerted effort to try to get Goff back on track before heading into the playoffs I don't think they'll want to significantly change their identity either. Given how good the matchup is and how good this offense is when it is clicking I think there is a very good chance at least one Rams RB puts up at least RB2 numbers. Based off the talk Anderson seems like the favorite to do that if Gurley and Davis sit. Additionally, if the game gets out of hand as most expect they are likely going to run the ball to get the game over with and not give their guys unnecessary extra snaps this late in the season. 

• Like 1

I never met an optimistic thought about CJA that didn't turn sour.

7 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

If a coach makes a guy that was literally on his couch a week ago the primary ball carrier, that to me is a big problem for an offense.

It tells me there is a problem when you can't take guys from your practice squad who know your playbook (lke Shanny did the entire season)and plug them in.

The rookie must be terrible at pass protection if CJA will become the starter.

The only value I see with CJA is goaline work and maybe some dump offs

That tends to happen after you get passed up by the Lions as a warm body in the rb room for....The return of the Zach Zenner experience

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

If a coach makes a guy that was literally on his couch a week ago the primary ball carrier, that to me is a big problem for an offense.

It tells me there is a problem when you can't take guys from your practice squad who know your playbook (lke Shanny did the entire season)and plug them in.

this and....

has anyone seen CJ??? He looks like a spokesman for Coney Island

CJ has been on an NFL roster for most of the year. Lets not act like hes been sitting around doing nothing. He just hasnt been playing in games. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Kelly is a fourth string rookie.   CJA is a versatile veteran who Peyton Manning referred to as “our second qb on the field.”    It’s not so hard to understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Kelly is a fourth string rookie.   CJA is a versatile veteran who Peyton Manning referred to as “our second qb on the field.”    It’s not so hard to understand.

On the Broncos about 4yrs ago correct( not sure why u stress the 4th string rookie,wasnt' he also effectively replaced by a UDFA ROOKIE rb who made the pro bowl)?  :lol: 

This is 2018 cja joined the rams about a week ago, I seriously doubt that he would be the equivalent of a qb on the field.

RB is possibly one of the most plug and play positons on offense however a  player needs more than a week to at least get a feeling for the way the offense is works even little things like adjusting to how the QB hands of the ball and knowing where he needs to be on certain plays. Now he has to be told the plays in real time by other players in the huddle, which slows down the effectiveness of an offense.

This is not about the talent of CJA but about the probability of him being productive in a new offense after 1 week on a struggling  team that has lost 2  consecutive games and a QB who has performed in the bottom 5 of his position the last 3. 

My view is the rookie simply sucks at pass protection and mcvay thinks cja will perform better in that role against the cardinals.

But...it’s the Cardinals

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dashoe said:

On the Broncos about 4yrs ago correct( not sure why u stress the 4th string rookie,wasnt' he also effectively replaced by a UDFA ROOKIE rb who made the pro bowl)?  :lol: 

This is 2018 cja joined the rams about a week ago, I seriously doubt that he would be the equivalent of a qb on the field.

RB is possibly one of the most plug and play positons on offense however a  player needs more than a week to at least get a feeling for the way the offense is works even little things like adjusting to how the QB hands of the ball and knowing where he needs to be on certain plays. Now he has to be told the plays in real time by other players in the huddle, which slows down the effectiveness of an offense.

This is not about the talent of CJA but about the probability of him being productive in a new offense after 1 week on a struggling  team that has lost 2  consecutive games and a QB who has performed in the bottom 5 of his position the last 3. 

My view is the rookie simply sucks at pass protection and mcvay thinks cja will perform better in that role against the cardinals.

Very possible.  I’m not endorsing starting him-  merely attempting to provide a window into why the coaches would give CJ more work than Kelly.  

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

But...it’s the Cardinals

which makes it even more head scratching to indicate a rb u picked up a week ago would be the primary ?

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

which makes it even more head scratching to indicate a rb u picked up a week ago would be the primary ?

Who indicated that he would be the primary?

45 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Who indicated that he would be the primary?

The rams beat reporter.

Have you not been following this thread you are commenting in?  :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

The rams beat reporter.

Have you not been following this thread you are commenting in?  :lol:

Sure I have - but you said “[you] picked up,” so I assumed someone actually employed by the team indicated it.

Edited by BMcP

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Sure I have - but you said “[you] picked up,” so I assumed someone actually employed by the team indicated it.

Yes the HC commented on it during a news conference which is why the beat reporters all tweeted it. . . come on guys this is easily obtained info on the majority of rams focused sites. Contrary to popular belief beat reporters dont make up news

(On how he expects his offense to look if Gurley can’t play on Sunday)

”(RB) John Kelly and (RB) C.J. (Anderson) will do a nice job and then depending upon Justin Davis, his availability as well. We’re hopeful that Todd will be ready, but if not, we’ve got to be able to adjust and adapt. Injuries occur in this league. C.J. has played a lot of good football in this league, rushed for 1,000 yards last year. Been very, very impressed with how quickly he’s been able to pick things up rather seamlessly. That gives us the confidence that if he’s got to play a large role on Sunday, that he’s more than capable and more than ready to do that.”

(On if Anderson could start at running back on Sunday)

”That’s a possibility. Yeah, absolutely.”

• Thanks 1

I'm I in a 16 team championship. I have already grabbed Kelly, should I grab CJ as well and just play whoever gets the start? As you can imagine team is pretty stretched

actually scratch that. CJ is owned by someone who left us weeks ago

Edited by Baby_Falcon
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:07 AM, Impreza178 said:

But wasn't CJA a fourth string rookie when Peyton said that-?  :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, psygolf said:

But wasn't CJA a fourth string rookie when Peyton said that-?  :D

Haha...I don’t think so but it’s been a while.

The point is that CJA has always been known as a smart guy who can play in a variety of roles.    If anyone can eat into a decent amount of touches on a minimal prep time-  he can.    Not that he provides great ceiling or explosiveness by any means..    but I’m not shocked they already want him involved for stability.    

Still not a guy I would start in fantasy. 

17 hours ago, dashoe said:

Yes the HC commented on it during a news conference which is why the beat reporters all tweeted it. . . come on guys this is easily obtained info on the majority of rams focused sites. Contrary to popular belief beat reporters dont make up news

(On how he expects his offense to look if Gurley can’t play on Sunday)

”(RB) John Kelly and (RB) C.J. (Anderson) will do a nice job and then depending upon Justin Davis, his availability as well. We’re hopeful that Todd will be ready, but if not, we’ve got to be able to adjust and adapt. Injuries occur in this league. C.J. has played a lot of good football in this league, rushed for 1,000 yards last year. Been very, very impressed with how quickly he’s been able to pick things up rather seamlessly. That gives us the confidence that if he’s got to play a large role on Sunday, that he’s more than capable and more than ready to do that.”

(On if Anderson could start at running back on Sunday)

”That’s a possibility. Yeah, absolutely.”

Yeah - come on, guys, saying something is a “possibility” is a far cry from “indicating he is the primary.”  Just try to be more accurate when relating news in future.

Edited by BMcP

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yeah - come on, guys, saying something is a “possibility” is a far cry from “indicating he is the primary.”  Just try to be more accurate when relating news in future.

I like you dude but you are really trying to go into the weeds with a rusty knife on this one and you are not making a strong argument whatsoever.

possibility =a thing that may happen or be the case.

indication= a sign or piece of information that indicates something

indicate= be a sign or symptom of; strongly imply. suggest as a desirable or necessary course of action.

The HC stated CJA should get a large role and when asked would he start he stated it is possible. He did not refute the possible outcome nor did he tamper it down with a "we will see". He  followed 'that is a possibility"  with "Yeah absolutely"(indication)

Those 2 statements  with the stress on "yeah absolutely" make it reasonable to conclude that CJA may be the primary rb

Why you choose to debate this is beyond me.:)

53 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Haha...I don’t think so but it’s been a while.

The point is that CJA has always been known as a smart guy who can play in a variety of roles.    If anyone can eat into a decent amount of touches on a minimal prep time-  he can.    Not that he provides great ceiling or explosiveness by any means..    but I’m not shocked they already want him involved for stability.    

Still not a guy I would start in fantasy. 

I might play him instead of DJ/Samuel