Sign in to follow this  
bbythepier

Taijuan Walker 2018 Outlook

As the ARZ humidor becomes this week's biggest topic in fantasy baseball, I just wanted to have this article based on quotes from Walker illustrate how the humidor might effect different pitchers differently.

Last year, Robbie Ray inroduced a curveball with great results. Ray was written about the entire year. He never mastered the changeup grip, so the slower curveball gave him a 3rd pitch that was divergent to his FB/SL combo. In this article, Grienke mentions how important it is to not have pitches "mesh" with similar speeds in discussing how his slider & cutter used to diminish the results of both pitch types.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-that-curveball-everything-robbie-ray-needed/

On to Walker. Like Ray, Walker has never mastered the changeup. His CH has been roughly -5 to -6 run value each of the last 3 years. He too has tried to use the curve as a slower pitch to add balance to his FB/SL or FB/Cutter combo. However, he's never been adept at gripping the curveball during home games at Chase. This article tries to explain how additional grip (and thus a better spin rate + more control) might help his curve and subsequently his whole repertoire.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2018/02/15/diamondbacks-taijuan-walker-hopes-humidor-helps-him-get-grip/343317002/

• Like 2

Nice read. Had the best year of his short career so far last season. That said, I'm (very) cautiously optimistic about his outlook this season. I'll draft him if the price is right, but his FIP does suggest some slight regression may be due this year, as his ERA was 3.49 but his FIP was 4.04.

Man, things have gotten real quiet on him.

Which -imo- has created a real nice buying opportunity.

He pitched very well in the 2nd H last year and the humidor will only help him (obv)...

K stuff on a solid team that appears to have upgraded their defense.

• Like 2

I can't figure out if this guy will be in the rotation this week or not?

Snakes have an off-day on Sunday, so they can start Godley #4 and skip Walker and get back to the top of the rotation with full rest...

Some sites say he's starting Monday, some don't say. But isn't Godley ahead

He had a 2.94 ERA on the road last year...I think that’s a good stat!

If the humidor can neutralize their home park then maybe that will give him a nice boost.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 7:24 PM, Gumbo_Ghost said:

I can't figure out if this guy will be in the rotation this week or not?

Snakes have an off-day on Sunday, so they can start Godley #4 and skip Walker and get back to the top of the rotation with full rest...

Some sites say he's starting Monday, some don't say. But isn't Godley ahead

This was the case but I cannot find anyone not stating Walker is in line for 2 starts this week and starting today vs LAD

I thought about sitting him but I really think he has turned a corner, tough to sit him

What tier is Walker in? SP3? I was able to snag him off the wire after my draft, I'm thinking I may have gotten a steal, despite the shaky 1st outing. 

There's a lot of potential. Whether he'll realize that potential or not has yet to be seen.  I wouldn't drop him after just 1 bad outing but I wouldn't hesitate after a few bad starts in a row. We'll see.  Next week he has a very favorable matchup iirc.

• Like 1

After giving up 4 hits the first inning, he gave up 4 more the next 4 innings.

So we have a bad first inning, followed by 4 not terrible innings. 

Considering the strong second half last year and the humidor effect, I'm not dropping him yet.

What's everyone's take on him at this point? His performances have been shaky, but the upside is there. 

Edited by Akecheta

I think he's got a good fastball but question whether or not the remainder of his Arsenal is good enough for him to be a decent strikeout pitcher. He may be more of a fastball-oriented pitcher than many realize, and right now I'm viewing him as more of a middling starter with decent ratios and some Ks more than someone with significant upside right now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighHeat11 said:

Hes likely headed for TJ. 

There's zero reason to believe he's "likely" headed for TJ outside of he was removed with a forearm strain.  No one has any idea what the injury entails and probably won't for a few days.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

There's zero reason to believe he's "likely" headed for TJ outside of he was removed with a forearm strain.  No one has any idea what the injury entails and probably won't for a few days.

I wouldn’t say zero. Sometimes the reason for a stiff forearm is because the elbow tendon is about to go. Stay tuned.

12 hours ago, j_cis1011 said:

I wouldn’t say zero. Sometimes the reason for a stiff forearm is because the elbow tendon is about to go. Stay tuned.

Two different statements:  There are many times a stiff forearm is a precursor to a TJ surgery, correct.  There's ZERO reason to guess that he was pulled and is going to have TJ surgery.  Even today the D-backs probably have zero clue if he needs that type of invasive surgery.

Obv a bad sign, but my god the overreaction police are all over the boards these days. I could see if his velo ticked way up or down but might have just been cramping...either way they have not scheduled any further tests. Not out of the woods by any stretch but a bit of promising news.

• Like 1

Orrrrrr there are more tests and now DL'd...mkay thanks for the transparency snakes, lol

• Haha 1

May have caught a break. I could use one in in the injury department.  

It is always something with this guy though.  

"I woke up it felt good, same as yesterday, didn't get any worse," Walker said. "I feel really good about it. Everything feels strong in there, just going to go on the DL just to be cautious."

The team has scheduled an MRI for Walker on Monday, but the strength tests that he underwent Saturday night have him and the organization feeling optimistic that it will not be that serious.

"I think we'll find out more with the MRI, I believe, on Monday," D-backs assistant general manager Jared Porter said. "But from what I understand, he feels nothing has changed since last night. He feels fine, but just more of a 'Hey, he felt something during the game and we want to be very careful at this point in the season.' That's the hope."

"I think everyone that's felt tightness in the forearm, the first thing everyone thinks is, 'Oh, it's Tommy John,'" Walker said. "But I feel like you'd kind of know if it was real serious."

https://www.mlb.com/news/taijuan-walker-placed-on-disabled-list/c-272313886

Edited by jwblue

8 hours ago, jwblue said:

It is always something with this guy though. 

It is? He's had a relatively healthy MLB career so far, in my book.

That said, the quote included only comforts me a little. I've seen pitchers deny that the injury was serious only to find out a day later it required TJ. I'll be holding my breath until the doctors make their recommendation.

• Like 1

Definitely still expecting TJ.

Pitchers ALWAYS say they feel fine the day after going on the DL. I'm certain he'll ramp back up and rehb and come back and maybe even be fine for a few starts. But if you need the roster space I would not be expecting a minimum DL stint that's merely a "precaution." I'll believe it when I see it.

glad i didn't wait to drop, the injury signs plus the fact he wasn't very good to begin with made it an easy decision

More info:

An MRI taken Tuesday on Taijuan Walker's right elbow showed damage in his ulnar collateral ligament.

This sort of diagnosis often leads to Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, but Walker will go for a second opinion Wednesday in New York before any decisions are made. The former top Mariners prospect had a breakout year with the Diamondbacks in 2017, registering a 3.49 ERA and 146 strikeouts across 157 1/3 innings. He was sporting a 3.46 ERA through three starts this season.

Source: Jack Magruder on Twitter          Apr 17 - 6:52 PM

Who will Arizona stick into the rotation now?   Shelby Miller is still out recovering.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory