XxxOilOverloadxxX

Josh Donaldson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Maitiu said:

Some of the comments in here make me wonder if you've played sports and have been injured before. I'm thinking not.

In every thread.

 

My favorite is when Myers got hit by the ball in the heel and hit the DL. People calling him soft, not realizing how foolish they sound. A contusion isn't anything to screw with, let alone on your foot.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an ugly relationship no matter your perspective.  Rosenthal has poured more liquor onto the accelerating firestorm with his [unknown] "team source quotes."

 

Donaldson, when originally having calf issues last year, blamed them on exercises that he was not used to doing, which were directed by team training staff.  If anyone doesn't want to research the quotes, I'll look it up.  It sticks out clear in my mind because he had never dealt with injuries at the MLB level (ones worse than a day to day ding).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

In every thread.

 

My favorite is when Myers got hit by the ball in the heel and hit the DL. People calling him soft, not realizing how foolish they sound. A contusion isn't anything to screw with, let alone on your foot.

 

 

A contusion is another name for a bruise.   Not sure what you mean by “isn’t anything to screw with”.   Donaldson has a strained left calf muscle.  That’s a bit more serious than a bruise. 

Edited by Ratso1022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

He didn’t have to run tonight, he hit a HR.

Looks like he almost oppo tacoed in his last AB also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

A contusion is another name for a bruise.   Not sure what you mean by “isn’t anything to screw with”.   Donaldson has a strained left calf muscle.  That’s a bit more serious than a bruise. 

Yeah I'm aware. My point was in relation to people not understanding how injuries really impact players. IE Myers hit the DL with a contusion and people laughed. JD has something else happening and it's the same reaction. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, STLSU said:

If anyone doesn't want to research the quotes, I'll look it up.  It sticks out clear in my mind because he had never dealt with injuries at the MLB level (ones worse than a day to day ding).

Please do! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty clear it's down to Cardinals (front-runner) or Indians to acquire Donaldson before tonight's deadline. Either way, not sure he's an everyday player, considering he's still recovering from the worst calf injury of all time, but I think he could provide something like 10-5-13 in September.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvfantasy said:

Pretty clear it's down to Cardinals (front-runner) or Indians to acquire Donaldson before tonight's deadline. Either way, not sure he's an everyday player, considering he's still recovering from the worst calf injury of all time, but I think he could provide something like 10-5-13 in September.

My son. who has a friend in cards organization, says they are trying tepidly  .  his word

 

his opinion is, he stays with the Jays

Edited by Ratso1022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ratso1022 said:

My son. who has a friend in cards organization, says they are trying tepidly  .  his word

 

his opinion is, he stays with the Jays

 

I doubt it considering it sounds like the Jays will be willing to pay almost his whole salary.  At this point they are just seeing who will force them to pay the least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ejaggit said:

CLEVELAND INDIANS

 

Here are details:

 

Quote

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that Josh Donaldson has been informed that he has been traded to the Cleveland Indians.

 

Boom, the mystery team strikes again! Donaldson gives the Tribe another strong right-handed bat in the middle of their lineup, though it's unclear exactly where he's going to play everyday. Perhaps the team opts to shift Jose Ramirez back to second base and Jason Kipnis back to the outfield.

 

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                              Aug 31 - 9:12 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland doesn’t need him... they have an elite 3B and DH. Maybe 1B? Probably a bench bat for the playoffs. He hasn’t lost as much bat speed but definitely cannot run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back together with Edwing, 2015-16 seems so long ago for a Jays fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Back together with Edwing, 2015-16 seems so long ago for a Jays fan

Hop on board, be a Indians fan as well, if healthy, and that's a big if, he can help our team to get to the promise land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Hop on board, be a Indians fan as well, if healthy, and that's a big if, he can help our team to get to the promise land.

 

I think that is the big if.  He hasn't looked right all season and a big chunk of last.  But he is worth the gamble.  The Indians aren't putting all their eggs in the Donaldson basket in other words.  If he remains bad, well it was worth the roll of the dice.  But if he returns to his 2016 self, they struck gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wahoos1 said:

Any chance we see Vlad Jr or has that ship sailed 

 

It’s searching for the Northwest Passage

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Any chance we see Vlad Jr or has that ship sailed 

They're sending Vlad to the Arizona Fall League, so it seems very very very very unlikely that he's up this September 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DavidbivaD said:

They're sending Vlad to the Arizona Fall League, so it seems very very very very unlikely that he's up this September 

 

That's a good move.  Don't start the clock and lose a year of control or have to wait longer than you want next year on someone you hope will turn out to be a major star player for you.  Especially since you are totally out of it this season.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidbivaD said:

They're sending Vlad to the Arizona Fall League, so it seems very very very very unlikely that he's up this September 

Got it, hadn’t heard that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

That's a good move.  Don't start the clock and lose a year of control or have to wait longer than you want next year on someone you hope will turn out to be a major star player for you.  Especially since you are totally out of it this season.

Yea, from a logical perspective, I completely understand and agree with what they're doing.

Plus, the Jays have a better excuse in that they want Vlad to continue working on his defence, which is by all measure, can be further worked on.

Eloy on the other hand... lol they don't even have an excuse for that other than gaining a year of control. 

Don't blame either team, but would've loved to see both of them up this year. 

This is up to MLB and the union to fix for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Got it, hadn’t heard that

Yea it just got reported the other day. Vlad and Bo Bichette going to AFL. Extra reps for Vladdy for the weeks he missed while injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.