XxxOilOverloadxxX

Josh Donaldson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Calf injury again? When did Josh become glass. 

Damn. 

link?

Well I hope they don't rush him like last year. Shut him down for a while and make sure he comes back 100%. even if he misses the first couple of weeks, its better than missing 2 months.

Yuck, it's stuff like this that actually makes tough keeper calls easier to make.  Not worth the headache this season IMO if you have another comparable option you're weighing.

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Somewhat reassuring but this is eerily similar to last year's events.  Perhaps this explains the low ADP...

It was a strain last year, wasn't it? This now seems less severe. It's just cramps because he was dehydrated a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

It was a strain last year, wasn't it? This now seems less severe. It's just cramps because he was dehydrated a couple of days ago.

I think and hope you are right.

It's a calf "ailment", sounds minor.

Eez nice!

Edited by 2ndCitySox

Is it the same calf even?  Sounds pretty minor in any case.  My pick just came up end of the second round (16 team league, pick 31) couldn't believe he was still available so I grabbed him.

My nightmare is becoming reality again. 

I kept him over Benintendi and I had this ache in my stomach. 

3 hours ago, dannyusf said:

My nightmare is becoming reality again. 

I kept him over Benintendi and I had this ache in my stomach. 

It's not a strain according to reports... He has calf cramps due to dehydration that he suffered a few days ago.

Josh Donaldson (calf) expects to return to Grapefruit League action on Friday.

Donaldson began feeling some discomfort in his calf last weekend, which raised some red flags because he missed the early part of the 2017 season due to a calf strain, but this particular issue was apparently just cramps. "It’s getting ridiculous ... It’s not an issue," he told the media Thursday morning. "Have you ever had a cramp?" The feisty veteran should be 100 percent for the start of the 2018 regular season.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, TheWrightStuff said:

Josh Donaldson (calf) expects to return to Grapefruit League action on Friday.

Donaldson began feeling some discomfort in his calf last weekend, which raised some red flags because he missed the early part of the 2017 season due to a calf strain, but this particular issue was apparently just cramps. "It’s getting ridiculous ... It’s not an issue," he told the media Thursday morning. "Have you ever had a cramp?" The feisty veteran should be 100 percent for the start of the 2018 regular season.

I like the fire, JD.

3 hours ago, commissioner007 said:

Such a risk at the ADP jeez, I just do not know what to do. I would hate to finally own him on the wrong side of 30......

Once again, 32 is not old. The ageism here gets a little tiresome.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2018 at 11:05 AM, Picard56 said:

Once again, 32 is not old. The ageism here gets a little tiresome.

I am just talking from my experience so maybe I was over the line sorry.

I just know that I am a hardcore basketball guy, 10 hours  week, 3-4 times a week and I started getting leg issues at age 31 and by the time I was 33, I felt like I was 50.

Josh is pro, he will be fine but in rounds 1-2 for sure I m looking at safety and minimizing my investment, that is all.

Donaldson's ceiling is what, 10-12 overall? I mean it is not like you are drafting a 5 tool stud at his ADP that could end up top 5.

All I am saying is that if someone said "you have a 96% chance of these numbers" versus hey you can take Doldson and get an 87% chance at these numbers, the choice is obvious for me.

Now after saying all that I will say that once Donaldson gets to about an ADP of 40-45 I can see it but still, to have a guy like Upton or even Encarnacion there, it is an easy choice for me

5 hours ago, commissioner007 said:

I am just talking from my experience so maybe I was over the line sorry.

I just know that I am a hardcore basketball guy, 10 hours  week, 3-4 times a week and I started getting leg issues at age 31 and by the time I was 33, I felt like I was 50.

Josh is pro, he will be fine but in rounds 1-2 for sure I m looking at safety and minimizing my investment, that is all.

Donaldson's ceiling is what, 10-12 overall? I mean it is not like you are drafting a 5 tool stud at his ADP that could end up top 5.

All I am saying is that if someone said "you have a 96% chance of these numbers" versus hey you can take Doldson and get an 87% chance at these numbers, the choice is obvious for me.

Now after saying all that I will say that once Donaldson gets to about an ADP of 40-45 I can see it but still, to have a guy like Upton or even Encarnacion there, it is an easy choice for me

I think it's pretty hard to say Donaldson's "ceiling" is a 10-12 player.  He was 9th on my player rater in 2016 and 3rd in 2015.

I mean, look at the top 5 players.  Is it realistic to expect him to be Trout, Altuve or even Arenado?  Probably not.  Goldy?  Maybe not.  But, could he be better than Mookie Betts, Trea Turner or Bryce Harper?  Absolutely.

Donaldson's "ceiling" is absolutely still a top 5'ish player.

Anyone think this dude’s calf is actually hurt? I know it’s spring but he can’t swat a fly and is always being pinch run for. 

4 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Anyone think this dude’s calf is actually hurt? I know it’s spring but he can’t swat a fly and is always being pinch run for. 

His calf looks pretty healthy to me.

Image result for calf

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 2

His quad looks fine too.

Image result for quad

Wait, that might be Madison Bumgarner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Donaldson has been mia in the spring training games... Where has he been?

I think Donaldson s adp is right where it should be. I don't think by any means he has top 5 upside this year. Top 12 seems more reasonable.