XxxOilOverloadxxX

Josh Donaldson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

10 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

If his calf is bothering him so much how did he get a steal. I didn't see it so I suppose it could have been part of a double steal or some kind of favorable call where he got it on a technicality, but a steal comes as a pretty big surprise to me considering the doom and gloom in here.

1 minute ago, Skrappy1 said:

I'm not worried about the calf.  I'm worried about the shoulder.  If you saw the game, you'd understand.

Josh Donaldson's arm weakness leaves Blue Jays fans, media buzzing

Josh Donaldson ain't right, and it's obvious

Yep, his shoulder is completely messed up. 

FWIW, Gibbons tried to downplay it in the postgame. Said Donaldson told him "he just had a bit of a dead arm," and that they "didn't think it was a big deal." 

Still not buying it. 

On 3/27/2018 at 6:38 PM, Picard56 said:

He is hurt? He said he is dealing with overall body soreness. No mention of an injury.

tell me more about this general soreness.

48 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

tell me more about this general soreness.

Do you really want me to? So his calves are fine, now it seems like his shoulder is messed up. Would you like a cookie now?

9 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Do you really want me to? So his calves are fine, now it seems like his shoulder is messed up. Would you like a cookie now?

Really? I could've sworn on Tuesday that when I wrote he was still hurt that I was quickly dismissed because he saw reps during spring training. 

3 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Really? I could've sworn on Tuesday that when I wrote he was still hurt that I was quickly dismissed because he saw reps during spring training. 

Once again, do you want a cookie?

• Like 1

As a Yankees fan, I watched the game. Dude couldn't throw at all. Literally didn't make a solid throw to first all game. 

So legitimate question, can a guy with a busted right shoulder still be able to hit??

2 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

So legitimate question, can a guy with a busted right shoulder still be able to hit??

Yes, and I suspect it bothers him far less on swings due to his style.  But what do you do with him?  Perma-DH?

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yes, and I suspect it bothers him far less on swings due to his style.  But what do you do with him?  Perma-DH?

He is their best hitter, so you would think they just DH until whatever problem he has goes away, if it does.

Edited by Picard56

That will have a ripple effect on the offense/defense - but it might prove necessary.

9 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

Watching those throws, my lord!  

Were they that bad? I wasn't able to watch the game but I did listen to a bit on the NYY radio - both Sterling and Waldman commented on his dead duck throws but I didn't really think much of it until I popped open his thread just now. 

He looked like Lester trying to pick off a runner at first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Were they that bad? I wasn't able to watch the game but I did listen to a bit on the NYY radio - both Sterling and Waldman commented on his dead duck throws but I didn't really think much of it until I popped open his thread just now. 

Oh yeah, it was bad.  He was bouncing routine throws to first.  Zero arm strength. 

Edited by verycoolnin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, verycoolnin said:

Oh yeah, it was bad.  He was bouncing routine throws to first.  

Woah- that really is bad. Have to wonder how much of a leash they give him at 3rd. Weird. Was there any news about shoulder/arm or throwing issues during the spring ? Or did I just completely miss it? 

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

Once again, do you want a cookie?

if your baking is on par with your fantasy advice then most definitely no I do not want.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Woah- that really is bad. Have to wonder how much of a leash they give him at 3rd. Weird. Was there any news about shoulder/arm or throwing issues during the spring ? Or did I just completely miss it? 

I don't remember hearing anything but he was taking lots of rest days it seemed.

• Like 1

Donaldson is falling apart. Jays got his best years. Let another team pay for his declining years. I predict season ending shoulder surgery for JD in the next 1-2 weeks. 

So, he had 24 post ASB home runs just last summer...  That's pretty boss.  Could full-time DHing be the elegant solution his owners need?  Anyone got any medical notions on this?  Does his looming free agency complicate things?

(or maybe give it more than one game before declaring him toast)

Edited by Turkey Burgers

26 minutes ago, Turkey Burgers said:

So, he had 24 post ASB home runs just last summer...  That's pretty boss.  Could full-time DHing be the elegant solution his owners need?  Anyone got any medical notions on this?  Does his looming free agency complicate things?

(or maybe give it more than one game before declaring him toast)

They kinda need the DH spot available for Kendrys.