XxxOilOverloadxxX

Josh Donaldson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?  Kendrys is terrible.

Fair point. I get the sense they think higher of him than is reasonable, though.

If Donaldson ends up missing a good chunk of time/ rest of season, who’s the beneficiary?  I assume since Solarte is the UTIL guy, he would become the starter at 3B? Do they have anybody else? 

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

Kendrys can play OF or 1B too. 

I'd pay to see Kendrys try to play the OF right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

If Donaldson ends up missing a good chunk of time/ rest of season, who’s the beneficiary?  I assume since Solarte is the UTIL guy, he would become the starter at 3B? Do they have anybody else? 

vladjr.jpg?quality=95

I kid, I kid. Too early. Maybe ?

7 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

If Donaldson ends up missing a good chunk of time/ rest of season... who’s the beneficiary?  I assume since Solarte is the UTIL guy, he would become the starter at 3B? Do they have anybody else? 

Are we here already? Yikes what a scary thought.

Just now, fletch44 said:

vladjr.jpg?quality=95

I kid, I kid. Too early. Maybe ?

If it wasn't for the stupid "extra year of control" rule you might not be kidding.  At least not after the All Star break.

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If it wasn't for the stupid "extra year of control" rule you might not be kidding.  At least not after the All Star break.

Vlad Jr. hasn't even played in AA ball yet and is 19 years old.  He's not on the 40 man roster.

I don't the the extra year of control has much to do with it at this point.  He has a lot of developing yet to do...but wow does he look like he's going to be a beast.

Well he will be this year and within my driving range with the NH Fishercats in Manchester, NH.  Him and Bo both.  That's why I said after the All Star break because more and more players go directly from AA to the majors with AAA viewed more these days as a silo to hold the AAAA insurance players in.  It is how another really young player, Devers with Boston, made the leap to the majors last year.

So I'd say if Donaldson's problems continue he may not last out the year in Toronto except for the "year of control" stuff maybe saving him.  I think Toronto felt that if they were out of contention they could flip him for someone decent at the trade deadline but he is losing his value fast.  They should have pulled the plug on him in the off season.  But I can see if they did they would be basically saying to their fans that this season will be a totally lost one.  Not everyone is a Theo who did just that with the Cubs.  Or the guy cross town with the White Sox now.  Other GMs are too scared for their jobs or just plain don't have the guts to do what needs to be done.

I hope Donaldson gets better but he really does need to start DH-ing more at this point in his career.  They should send Kendrys packing and go with Solarte more at 3B the rest of the way this year.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

he did steal a base yesterday, so that leads me to believe it really might just be a dead arm throwing-only issue that could be temporary. DHing today would be a good sign.

He's 32 not 82... He hit 33 bombs last year in ONLY 415 Abs.... The power is intact... His slugging was the second best of his career, only .009 less than his MVP season in 2015. 

CALM DOWN boys... I saw the throws, my 5 yo kid has a better arm than him today, but I have faith.

Worst case scenario they are going to DH him. He will not lose playing time over this. It seems like more of a problem for guys like Morales and Smoak who might be the ones who have to sacrifice playing time to allow JD to DH. 

FYI... His post all star break last year was mvp like compared to the slumping first half play.

5 minutes ago, Nightrain said:

FYI... His post all star break last year was mvp like compared to the slumping first half play.

Yea, we got it.

Were I a Donaldson owner, I'd be pretty concerned with what I saw yesterday, regardless of what happened last year.

7 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Yea, we got it.

Were I a Donaldson owner, I'd be pretty concerned with what I saw yesterday, regardless of what happened last year.

I'm concerned... but if he can swing and not compromise his health and plays in the AL, he can DH. This would be a different story if he played in the NL.

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons went on MLB Network Radio and mentioned that Josh Donaldson will DH the next few days as he recovers from his "dead arm."

Donaldson short-armed multiple throws from third on Thursday, so this will be a chance for him to rest the arm and focus on the offense. Yangervis Solarte will reportedly get some time at third while Donaldson is at designated hitter, and that will cut into the playing time of Kendrys Morales, who no longer plays in the field.

11 minutes ago, Nightrain said:

I'm concerned... but if he can swing and not compromise his health and plays in the AL, he can DH. This would be a different story if he played in the NL.

If you buy it's just "dead arm" and he can DH through it, sure.  If it's a shoulder, then may be a completely different issue and impact his hitting.

Concerning either way.

I wouldn't consider him a buy low...his " dead  arm " looks just dead. He seems like one to fight through injuries but not sure that will be enough 

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Yea, we got it.

So you're just here to make sure everyone is concerned?

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Worst case scenario they are going to DH him.

And so it shall be.

Donaldson DHing today. Solarte at 3B.

12 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

And so it shall be.

Donaldson DHing today. Solarte at 3B.

Any thoughts on Solarte's value with the increased playing time? 

4 minutes ago, 10giz said:

Any thoughts on Solarte's value with the increased playing time? 

If he plays everyday he becomes tremendously useful with eligibility at three positions. Plays in a better park for hitters now and if he can put SD behind him...