bbythepier

Wil Myers 2018 Outlook

28 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

He has played more than 90 games twice...

And I ask again... he was fantasy relevant starting three years ago. He’s been healthy the last two. How many years have you owned him?

if you owned him before three years ago, you’re not smart.

Edited by hangin n wangin

1 minute ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

But that is irrelevant. This whole "guys are injury-prone" thing is such a misnomer. Do you really think that any athlete wants to stay off the field?

A contusion is a bruise. When you actually think about what a bruise is, you realize that they aren't just a bump. A bruise is when the capillaries at the struck area are ruptured. Each one is different, depending on where you get hit. Fouling one off of your foot would extremely painful, and if you've ever played baseball you know that to swing a bat you use your entire body.

Here's the clip, with an article: https://www.mlb.com/news/wil-myers-sustains-left-foot-injury-vs-cubs/c-288620760

Read the article. Does that sound like a guy who can't wait to go on the DL? Hardly. Sounds like a dude who is genuinely hurt, and the SDP front office elected to DL him to add a bat.

This is the right attitude. Be ticked off at the circumstance, but calling a player out for getting hurt when he did nothing stupid, and then being placed on the DL by the team, is hilariously ignorant. 

Yep. Exactly... I’m glad it’s a bone bruise and not a fracture. I’m not happy with the DL stint, but once he gets back, which should be shortly after the 10 days, I’m going to like it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

And I ask again... he was fantasy relevant starting three years ago. He’s been healthy the last two. How many years have you owned him?

if you owned him before three years ago, you’re not smart.

He won the Rookie of the Year in 2013. 

You mad, bro? 

• Like 1

Strangest thread derailment in sometime.  Some guys just are prone to injury and don’t heal quickly.  See AJ Pollock, Yoenis Cespedes, etc there’s more.  Wil Myers is injury prone.  And that’s not really up for debate.  As we saw with his oblique injury, he doesn’t heal quickly either.  That’s not a personal knock on him as a person, it’s just the way it is.  And when you factor in what’s a terrible lineup, and some checkered trends results wise (6% BB rate, 30% K rate inflated BABIP) I think it’s safe to document for next year that he’s likely to fall into the category of make him someone else’s problem.  Just not a ton of upside anymore, and his situation overall is less than desirable.  Unless he comes at a very nice price you’re better off gambling on other players.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Do you really think that any athlete wants to stay off the field?

Obviously, you have forgotten about Carl Pavano and the multi-year "Buttocks injury" lol.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

He won the Rookie of the Year in 2013. 

You mad, bro? 

I am not mad. It’s just pure stupidity honestly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Strangest thread derailment in sometime.  Some guys just are prone to injury and don’t heal quickly.  See AJ Pollock, Yoenis Cespedes, etc there’s more.  Wil Myers is injury prone.  And that’s not really up for debate.  As we saw with his oblique injury, he doesn’t heal quickly either.  That’s not a personal knock on him as a person, it’s just the way it is.  And when you factor in what’s a terrible lineup, and some checkered trends results wise (6% BB rate, 30% K rate inflated BABIP) I think it’s safe to document for next year that he’s likely to fall into the category of make him someone else’s problem.  Just not a ton of upside anymore, and his situation overall is less than desirable.  Unless he comes at a very nice price you’re better off gambling on other players.  

I’m going to ask this again. How long have you owned Wil Myers since he has been fantasy relevant? Because this is the first time in three years he’s been injured and people are bitching like it’s happened every year.

I don’t think he’s a safe player to draft if he’s playing the OF. To wangin’s point, he’s never been healthy when not at 1B. He’d look nice in pinstripes, if Bird fails. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

I don’t think he’s a safe player to draft if he’s playing the OF. To wangin’s point, he’s never been healthy when not at 1B. He’d look nice in pinstripes, if Bird fails. 

His injuries this year had nothing to do with the outfield. His main injury was an oblique, which happened on a swing and then the most recent was a foul ball off his foot. It’s fluke injuries. It happens. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

His injuries this year had nothing to do with the outfield. His main injury was an oblique, which happened on a swing and then the most recent was a foul ball off his foot. It’s fluke injuries. It happens. 

So purely coincidence that his two healthy years,  out of 6, were the only two years he played first base? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

So purely coincidence that his two healthy years,  out of 6, were the only two years he played first base? 

Yes. And six years?? Wtf?? Who cares what he did six years ago when he wasn’t relevant.

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yes. And six years?? Wtf?? Who cares what he did six years ago when he wasn’t relevant.

Fantasy baseball owners trying to figure out if he’s worth owning. He’s injury prone, and you’re not being reasonable. Good luck with him

3 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Fantasy baseball owners trying to figure out if he’s worth owning. He’s injury prone, and you’re not being reasonable. Good luck with him

Ever hit your funny bone more than once? Guess you're prone to hitting your elbow. 

Injury prone is a misnomer. The only time it applies is when players or people are being careless. Accidents happen, doesn't make you injury prone. The entire idea of injury prone is as silly as saying you'll win the Power Ball. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Ever hit your funny bone more than once? Guess you're prone to hitting your elbow. 

Injury prone is a misnomer. The only time it applies is when players or people are being careless. Accidents happen, doesn't make you injury prone. The entire idea of injury prone is as silly as saying you'll win the Power Ball. 

That couldn’t be further from the truth.  It was a wide known fact that Ken Griffey Jr never worked out, as he got older he got injury prone.  After he left Seattle his games missed skyrocketed.  He became injury prone.  And it became a calculated gamble that he would get hurt.  Same thing with Yoenis Cespedes, for different reasons than Ken Griffey he overworked his legs by leg pressing a million pounds for no reason and completely destroyed his structure which has lead to soft tissue injuries galore, heel disposition etc.  Athletes all work on their bodies differently, humans all have different variance of bone structure and healing.  Not every one person is the same.  As fantasy baseball owners we have to take calculated gambles in projecting.  Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed for everyone, injuries aren’t guaranteed for everyone.  But medical history, healing rates, etc all have some value in projecting for players.  As we wind down 2018 it would be a complete disservice to people of this board who prepare for 2019 to pretend like Wil Myers is a guy new owners, and returning owners want to bank on.  Going into next year he should be in the red flag category for health, and you prepare your team around that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Tulowitzki was just really unlucky? 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

How do you figure he wasn’t relevant? He was a big time prospect that won Rookie of the Year. He came back the next year and was hurt.

He’s been on the DL seven times in his career. Played over 90 games twice since 2013. 

Edited by Stickfig13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

Tulowitzki was just really unlucky? 

Tulo plays SS, a physically demanding position. Wil Myers injured his foot from a foul ball. How is that one and the same? 

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

That couldn’t be further from the truth.  It was a wide known fact that Ken Griffey Jr never worked out, as he got older he got injury prone.  After he left Seattle his games missed skyrocketed.  He became injury prone.  And it became a calculated gamble that he would get hurt.  Same thing with Yoenis Cespedes, for different reasons than Ken Griffey he overworked his legs by leg pressing a million pounds for no reason and completely destroyed his structure which has lead to soft tissue injuries galore, heel disposition etc.  Athletes all work on their bodies differently, humans all have different variance of bone structure and healing.  Not every one person is the same.  As fantasy baseball owners we have to take calculated gambles in projecting.  Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed for everyone, injuries aren’t guaranteed for everyone.  But medical history, healing rates, etc all have some value in projecting for players.  As we wind down 2018 it would be a complete disservice to people of this board who prepare for 2019 to pretend like Wil Myers is a guy new owners, and returning owners want to bank on.  Going into next year he should be in the red flag category for health, and you prepare your team around that.

So again... Was Ken Griffey injury prone or simply out of shape? There is a huge difference between doing nothing to prevent an injury and having a ball foul into your foot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Going into next year, he’s going to come cheap... and I’m down to reap the benefits of what he could do. Two different sides. 

To say Tulo isn’t injury prone is where I tap out. I got sucked back in to this pointless argument, but as I said before he’s a poor investment in fantasy baseball if he stays in the OF. I’m done now. 

• Like 2

I was visiting SD a few weeks ago and saw Wil getting absolutely s**tfaced in a Gaslamp bar with a honey by his side.  The funny thing is, in SD, he could be a college student because absolutely no one cares about the team or knows who the players are.

• Like 1

The point with the foul ball is what percentage of players would have been injured by that foul ball.

I would guess maybe 10%.  It just happens too often with this guy.  

55 minutes ago, B&F said:

The point with the foul ball is what percentage of players would have been injured by that foul ball.

I would guess maybe 10%.  It just happens too often with this guy.  

This guy has been injured by a foul ball and placed on the DL multiple times? I don't think that's tru

7 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

This guy has been injured by a foul ball and placed on the DL multiple times? I don't think that's tru

i think he meant injuries happen to often.

i know his injuries this year have nothing to do with playing the field but It’s kind of crazy when you look at the stats. 

When he played the OF in TB he was injured a lot.

then he played first base for a couple of years the Padres and he played 140ish games.

he heads back to the  OF this year and he’s been a mess. 

whatever the reason may be he held up a lot better playing first.  That’s why I hated the Hosmer signing. The worst part is Hosmer sucks this year. 

Edited by Under500Forever
  • Like 1