CrypTviLL

Michael Brantley 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Now tied for the longest hitting streak in the majors this year with his first inning hit. 

18 in a row. 

The other player btw was Wilson Ramos. Wouldn’t have guessed that 

Brantley anyway: just basically the most professional hitter you’ll ever see

31 minutes ago, dod959 said:

.330 and 30 homers still in play. 

Doubtful. More like 25 hrs 310 avg. 10 steals tops

Saw this in a forum on a separate website,

"Brantley story has been fun - it's nice seeing good players play well again. That said, might not be a bad time to see what he can fetch you in a swap; he's currently sitting at 156 wRC+, versus his career mark of 114. He won't fall apart completely, but we've probably already seen the best of him."

What are people's thoughts on this? I was confident that if he could stay healthy he'd be a stud. He's crushing it. Is he in over his head? Not saying he's going to just sink, but is now the peak time to put him on the market?

23 minutes ago, FinalProphet said:

Saw this in a forum on a separate website,

"Brantley story has been fun - it's nice seeing good players play well again. That said, might not be a bad time to see what he can fetch you in a swap; he's currently sitting at 156 wRC+, versus his career mark of 114. He won't fall apart completely, but we've probably already seen the best of him."

What are people's thoughts on this? I was confident that if he could stay healthy he'd be a stud. He's crushing it. Is he in over his head? Not saying he's going to just sink, but is now the peak time to put him on the market?

In his two healthy seasons after his breakout he was at 151 and 133.  If you are worried about health I guess sure sell him but I don’t think Brantley is THAT far off from what he can be, no one is going to give you his precise current value, and almost no one in the league can replace what you lose when you lose him (who will you get for him that can easily hit .315?  That anchors your team)

Edited by merlin401
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FinalProphet said:

I mean like anything it depends on what you get. 

I think the advice for Brantley that will apply to the move situations is that he should be just held. The fact of the matter is that at his peak, Brantley is a stud. He's not too old, and he's not currently hurt, and you don't need him to be healthy for seven years in a redraft league, just four months. The upside of holding is a true OF1 at a fractional cost, presuming what you paid for Brantley. I don't think anyone gives you that considering his lack of Flash in the Speed/Power department and his trouble with injuries the past couple years. 

I would move Brantley if I could get a very talented player with some more safety, but it would have to be a very good player. Not necessarily an OF1, but probably at the least a Fringe OF2. Anything less and I'd rather just ride it out. 

And to be clear, I do think he falls back a little, but .315/18-20 is in the wheelhouse if he's healthy. 

In a dynasty league, particularly if you're not competing, this would be the time to sell I would think. 

• Like 1

Thought I was buying low on D Gordon a week ago for this guy. Starting to think I've made a big mistake.

I like it. Finally feels confident enough to do so following his ankle surgery. I still think he gets 15-20 SB this year

He's slowed down quite a bit recently. Is this just a blip or is this what's to be expected going forward?

He's definitely been really bland for some time and the lack of many counting stats hurts. We shouldn't expect many HRs although even he should be able to hit a few more frequently. Hasn't been much of anything for a while. You'd certainly expect more production hitting 2nd in CLE lineup. I imagine he has to warm up a bit at some point, if he gets hot like he did earlier in the year is anyone's guess, but it's been rough lately.

Dude got 630 PA's...that is a HUGE number, and while he had a .309 AVG, his counting stats were pretty meh for me.  17 HR.  12 SB's.  76 RBI and 89 runs.  I have the chance to keep him for $11 next year in an OPS league and with his injury history and the more productive players I have I don't see myself doing it.  I'll likely try to trade him to someone looking to buy high.  

I don't think it's that meh to get solid stat contributions across the board from a fantasy outfielder, as it's kind of rare to see that kind of across-the-board contribution from anyone other than the most elite players.

I'd want him if he comes at a decent price next year. I agree that the bigger question is does he stay healthy, but as long as he is, he's a steady and productive bat. If he stays in Cleveland, all the better, considering their line-up. If he goes to a different team and ends up in a pitcher's park, then I might think about not keeping him but still, dude has never been anything but a talented hitter.