Sign in to follow this  
SuperJoint

Alex Avila 2018 Outlook

I see this guy is pretty highly ADP'd in Y! mocks in the late-teens rounds even though Y! is only projecting him for 300 ABs. 

Does AA have a chance to get regular ABs in Arizona, "regular" meaning at least 400 or so?

Diamondbacks signed C Alex Avila to a two-year, $8.25 million contract.
Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Avila passed his physical on Tuesday, and the deal is now official with Reymond Fuentes being designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster. Avila, 31, spent the 2017 season with the Tigers and Cubs, hitting 14 homers with 49 RBI and an .834 OPS in 112 games between the two clubs. He should be the primary catcher for Arizona in 2018, with backups Jeff Mathis and Chris Herrmann likely getting the occasional start to give the left-handed-hitting veteran a day off. Jan 31 - 6:30 PM

Dbacks fan here, the team’s new GM/FO looooves pitch framing and after seeing the turn around in our staff last year I don’t blame them. So I think the catching rotation stays around the same but Avila should steal a nice chunk of Herrmann’s starts at C (unless he remembers how to hit). So I think he’s looking to be in the 350-400AB range, because he isn’t a good pitch framer based off the stats I’ve seen. And the team values that more than offense or we would have resigned beef Wellington 

Edited by KrunK

On 2/22/2018 at 2:24 AM, KrunK said:

Dbacks fan here, the team’s new GM/FO looooves pitch framing and after seeing the turn around in our staff last year I don’t blame them. So I think the catching rotation stays around the same but Avila should steal a nice chunk of Herrmann’s starts at C (unless he remembers how to hit). So I think he’s looking to be in the 350-400AB range, because he isn’t a good pitch framer based off the stats I’ve seen. And the team values that more than offense or we would have resigned beef Wellington 

well Herrmann was DFA'd.   Does this increase Avila's PT?

On 3/27/2018 at 5:01 PM, rich22 said:

well Herrmann was DFA'd.   Does this increase Avila's PT?

One would certainly think so.

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

For some reason, they are still carrying 3 catchers.  But Avila should get a normal starters share of playing time.

Makes it hell for the two catcher strategy. ?